Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Summer Bodies (TBD)

Posted (edited)

Last thread reached over 400. 

Well, I am shattered. Just got my long run in for the weekend - 10 miles and somehow I managed a 4:59/km pace. The second half was pretty tortuous, I definitely should have taken a gel or eaten something before I left. Still, that's a solid PB at the 15k and 10mi distances, so I am going to chill for the rest of the day feeling fairly satisfied. 

I've definitely been slacking on doing press ups over the last few weeks. Need to get my act together there and maybe start with some other upper body exercise too, or all this running is going to leave me looking like a triangle.

Post your fitness stories, questions, rants, achievements, etc. 

Edited by Leap

Posted (edited)

The tracker that I'd heard discussed was the Oura Ring, and it was on Peter Attia's podcast.  He's quite clear that he has a conflict of interest and that what he's saying about alcohol and sleep is anecdotal on just a handful of patients, but I find it believable because of how much it tracks with experience.

That said, I am skeptical about how well all of this tech works.

Incidentally, my gym is closed today because it's in a neighborhood where there's a huge Pride parade.  Why are these people not sensitive to how this is messing with my gains?*  Might call a different location and see if they're OK with me going there for a day.

*not serious  

Edited by Triskele

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I have heard a doctor friend say that everyone who owns a FitBit or similar gets no health benefit from one, and that it’s people who don’t have one who need one.

His reasoning is that if you care enough about your health and fitness to spend money on a FitBit, then you are probably already quite healthy, and the actual count of steps or imprecise estimates of health metrics won’t actually change that.  It’s the deeply sedentary people — with hypertension, severe cardiovascular problems and type 2 diabetes — who should be wearing a FitBit to fulfill a minimum daily amount of activity.

Also, steps (the original metric tracked) are a positive, but beyond a certain threshold aren’t really improving your health.  At that point you need to add actual exercise, not just walking, to further improve your health.

So if these devices help you track your running distance as you clock miles for a running program, or have a fun competition with friends on number of daily steps, then have fun with them.  But don’t get too invested in their potential for health improvement or indication.  You’re probably already quite healthy and your best work (exercise) is not accurately captured by any type of wrist device unless it comes with an EKG for your chest and a VOX mask.

While I agree that fitness trackers have limited use for improving health, their prevelence is now at a point where my obese mother-in-law has one, and uses it to track her daily walks. I think that's where they go wrong, walking only gets you so far, and while hitting that 10,000 steps a day helps it really isn't enough, and they give the impression that it is.

Slight rant: I have mild hypertension which I'm on medication for. I'm 37, BMI of 22, in marathon training, have run on average 60km/week over the past couple months, and can hit a sub-20min 5km. I don't think I've run less than about 20km/week in the past 3 years. For upper body I rock climb in / outdoors twice a week year round, generally climbing around a 5.11 grade (though thats dropped off a little at the moment with all the running). I usually only eat out once a week, and try to prepare my meals at home with unprocessed ingredients as much as possible. While my blood pressure has improved with excercise (when first diagnosed in my mid-20s I was quite sedentary) it's still stubbornly high. So yes, genetics can be a bitch.

On the last paragraph: While their general fitness metrics are broadly useless, for running (or cycling), if you're even semi-serious a good device is an essential investment. The alternative is a track of known distance and stopwatch for your intervals, probably with a coach standing there with a calculator too. Live pace and heart rate tracking is a must both in training and in race, and they're used by everyone from weekend warriors to pro marathon runners and cyclists. Luckily a decent gps watch (or bike computer) doesn't cost too much more than a pair of shoes these days.

Edited by Impmk2

I discovered this site called T Nation which I grant is kind of a douche bro name and also doesn't look great at first glance, but it seems to me like it's got really solid content with new articles regularly that aren't simply a clickbait "five foods you should be eating now for abs" or some bullshit.  

It seems like many of the writers have pretty legit pedigrees.

Well, I can't find it right now, but I read one on my obession du jour, grip strength, and it referenced the farmer's walk.  Well, this author suggested that if you can't grip your own weight in each hand with a dumbell you've got a lot of work to do.  That sounds just wild to me.  

I'm down to right around 200 right now with a goal of maybe 190 or 185.  I'm pretty sure my gym does not have single dumbells that even approach this kind of weight, and the world is full of people heavier than me.  

That said, I did grab 85's and was able to walk around for something like an OK 30 second clip before the forarems really started to burn which felt alright.

Does anyone see single weights that go 150 plus anywhere?  

Posted (edited)

So, have had enormous struggles lately, but I think I am now back on track. Trying to lose 40 pounds as my first major goal. I started out 90 pounds overweight. I just hit 185 for the very first time, which means I've lost 35 now. I think what happened is once I lost 30 pounds I could no longer lose weight on that amount of calories I was taking in. I saw the weight loss slow down, then finally stop. I was bouncing between 186 and 189 a long time. It took weeks to make certain that this was what was happening.

I then went from 3 beers a day to 2 a day. It seems to have worked because I have never hit 185 before, even on many scale readings. Hopefully I can get back to rapid weight loss, because a lot of the weight flew off very fast. And I wasn't following the 2 beer a day thing very closely at all. Most of the days I had a third light beer. I think just setting the goal of 2 beers a day helped a ton, as it go me on a lower overall daily average. 

5 to go on this first phase. 1050 food cals a day, plus the beers. I'm having zero problems maintaining the food diet, ever since I moved the cheese slice from lunch to breakfast.

Edited by Martell Spy

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So, have had enormous struggles lately, but I think I am now back on track. Trying to lose 40 pounds as my first major goal. I started out 90 pounds overweight. I just hit 185 for the very first time, which means I've lost 35 now. I think what happened is once I lost 30 pounds I could no longer lose weight on that amount of calories I was taking in. I saw the weight loss slow down, then finally stop. I was bouncing between 186 and 189 a long time. It took weeks to make certain that this was what was happening.

I then went from 3 beers a day to 2 a day. It seems to have worked because I have never hit 185 before, even on many scale readings. Hopefully I can get back to rapid weight loss, because a lot of the weight flew off very fast. And I wasn't following the 2 beer a day thing very closely at all. Most of the days I had a third light beer. I think just setting the goal of 2 beers a day helped a ton, as it go me on a lower overall daily average. 

5 to go on this first phase. 1050 food cals a day, plus the beers. I'm having zero problems maintaining the food diet, ever since I moved the cheese slice from lunch to breakfast.

I’m glad you’re seeing progress but your post is a head-scratcher for me. 

If I read it right, you started at 220lbs, have reduced to 185lbs, but your overall goal is to lose 90lbs eventually.  How tall are you that you are aiming for 130lbs?

And you eat just 1050 kcal per day, but you drink two beers every day too (previously three a day).  Which sounds pretty unhealthy in terms of alcohol and sugar consumed, and probably a weird ratio in total macronutrients. 

I’m not surprised that your rate of weight loss slowed until you cut the daily beers from three to two.  I would guess you’ll need to repeat that again.  

I’m sitting here worried for your nutritional well being, but that’s for you to determine.  I guess it shows that CICO is all that really matters to lose weight.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m glad you’re seeing progress but your post is a head-scratcher for me. 

If I read it right, you started at 220lbs, have reduced to 185lbs, but your overall goal is to lose 90lbs eventually.  How tall are you that you are aiming for 130lbs?

And you eat just 1050 kcal per day, but you drink two beers every day too (previously three a day).  Which sounds pretty unhealthy in terms of alcohol and sugar consumed, and probably a weird ratio in total macronutrients. 

I’m not surprised that your rate of weight loss slowed until you cut the daily beers from three to two.  I would guess you’ll need to repeat that again.  

I’m sitting here worried for your nutritional well being, but that’s for you to determine.  I guess it shows that CICO is all that really matters to lose weight.

Early morning post and bad math sorry. 5' 6". 140 lb. And then 80 up to 220. I was probably 135 or 130 in high school though.

1050 good calls only, then add beers, 140 Cals each, abv 5.0. also a few saltines in the eve. I did lose over 30 pounds on 3 beers though. The party may be over though.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, this study was an n =1, but the implications seem hard to ignore.  Guy basically lost weight very successfully eating some of the worst nutritional foods so long as calories in are successfully capped.  

Capping calories and burning more is of course the only real cause for weight loss, but the claim that everything else is irrelevant still misses the point. The point is how to sustain a healthy weight and a healthy body with all nutritionally important stuffs and without torturous desire for food. It doesn't need a nutritionist or a prophet to tell that the "very little food and two beers instead of three" diet doesn't fare very well with these additional (but no less important) conditions.

Clocked 106km in the last 7 days and my legs are super tired. On the plus side I'm getting much faster, feel as quick as I ever have, and being able to run on tired legs is the whole point of the training. Legs are holding up very well given the mileage I'm throwing at them (touch wood). Strength training plus regular streching and rolling is keeping the knee problems at bay so far.

Easy week next week, only 65km. Very much looking forward to it. Then back to the grind.

6 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Clocked 106km in the last 7 days and my legs are super tired. On the plus side I'm getting much faster, feel as quick as I ever have, and being able to run on tired legs is the whole point of the training. Legs are holding up very well given the mileage I'm throwing at them (touch wood). Strength training plus regular streching and rolling is keeping the knee problems at bay so far.

Easy week next week, only 65km. Very much looking forward to it. Then back to the grind.

How did you break this down by run? That's a tonne of mileage! 

12 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Capping calories and burning more is of course the only real cause for weight loss, but the claim that everything else is irrelevant still misses the point. The point is how to sustain a healthy weight and a healthy body with all nutritionally important stuffs and without torturous desire for food. It doesn't need a nutritionist or a prophet to tell that the "very little food and two beers instead of three" diet doesn't fare very well with these additional (but no less important) conditions.

This is why I was concerned.  Most of the research shows that you need a good intake of high quality fats to support production of hormones, and you need a good supply of protein to maintain muscle mass and to provide amino acids for neurotransmitters.  You can lose weight on a restricted calorie intake of low quality nutrients, but eventually it will be a problem.  If your muscle mass is declining, then your calorie balance will decline too and it will get harder to continue to lose weight.  If your endocrine production drops then lower testosterone will make you retain more adipose fat and reduce your energy levels.  And the combination of less hormone production and less neurotransmitters leads to depression.

So eventually the quality of nutrition will matter.

5 hours ago, Leap said:

How did you break this down by run? That's a tonne of mileage! 

Was actually far from an ideal training period. Last Saturday life happened - forced me to bump a long run from that day to Sunday. So went like:

Sunday - 22km fast finish long run (last 10k HM pace) <- usually strength + cross train (rock climb) day
Monday - 12km easy
Tuesday - 12km easy (this is usually speed day but I bumped that to Wednesday to give myself recovery from Sundays run)
Wednesday - 14km including speed session (this week 12x 1min on 1min off reps at 3k pace)
Thursday - 5km easy + strength + cross train
Friday - 10km marathon pace (was meant to be last 5km tempo, but the compressed week made me dial it back a notch)
Saturday - 30km long

Not the most typical week, was only meant to be 83km. I was really dreading the 30km on Sat after how dead my legs felt Friday, but it was ok when I got into it. Also my speed sessions are usually longer much reps at 10k+ pace given the marathon focus, but I try to throw in the rare 'fun' all out sprint session every month or so.

When I'm hitting >100km proper in a months time I'll be getting there by doing 2x12km run before & after work mid-week, adding a few km Thursday & Friday, and pushing the long run 32-34km.

15 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Was actually far from an ideal training period. Last Saturday life happened - forced me to bump a long run from that day to Sunday. So went like:

Sunday - 22km fast finish long run (last 10k HM pace) <- usually strength + cross train (rock climb) day
Monday - 12km easy
Tuesday - 12km easy (this is usually speed day but I bumped that to Wednesday to give myself recovery from Sundays run)
Wednesday - 14km including speed session (this week 12x 1min on 1min off reps at 3k pace)
Thursday - 5km easy + strength + cross train
Friday - 10km marathon pace (was meant to be last 5km tempo, but the compressed week made me dial it back a notch)
Saturday - 30km long

Not the most typical week, was only meant to be 83km. I was really dreading the 30km on Sat after how dead my legs felt Friday, but it was ok when I got into it. Also my speed sessions are usually longer much reps at 10k+ pace given the marathon focus, but I try to throw in the rare 'fun' all out sprint session every month or so.

When I'm hitting >100km proper in a months time I'll be getting there by doing 2x12km run before & after work mid-week, adding a few km Thursday & Friday, and pushing the long run 32-34km.

Just for info - what was the pace? How easy are the easy run. I know some runners that have 4.00/km as easy and there are some that have 5.30/km and all run 10 km around 35 min give or take minute or two.

13 hours ago, apovsic said:

Just for info - what was the pace? How easy are the easy run. I know some runners that have 4.00/km as easy and there are some that have 5.30/km and all run 10 km around 35 min give or take minute or two.

I'm not even close to that fast. At my best I'm a 19:20 5k or about a 1.5hr half. Guessing that'd translate to around a 41min 10k give or take a min.

Having said that, I do easy / long runs at approx 75% max HR or a little below (146bpm). Translates to 5:10-5:20/km at the moment. Little less if I'm feeling great, little more if I'm not. 

6 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I'm not even close to that fast. At my best I'm a 19:20 5k or about a 1.5hr half. Guessing that'd translate to around a 41min 10k give or take a min.

Having said that, I do easy / long runs at approx 75% max HR or a little below (146bpm). Translates to 5:10-5:20/km at the moment. Little less if I'm feeling great, little more if I'm not. 

You run quite a lot of milage for your results. Is there some deeper plan behind this or do you just enjoy running?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:19 AM, Triskele said:

I discovered this site called T Nation which I grant is kind of a douche bro name and also doesn't look great at first glance, but it seems to me like it's got really solid content with new articles regularly that aren't simply a clickbait "five foods you should be eating now for abs" or some bullshit.  

It seems like many of the writers have pretty legit pedigrees.

Well, I can't find it right now, but I read one on my obession du jour, grip strength, and it referenced the farmer's walk.  Well, this author suggested that if you can't grip your own weight in each hand with a dumbell you've got a lot of work to do.  That sounds just wild to me.  

I'm down to right around 200 right now with a goal of maybe 190 or 185.  I'm pretty sure my gym does not have single dumbells that even approach this kind of weight, and the world is full of people heavier than me.  

That said, I did grab 85's and was able to walk around for something like an OK 30 second clip before the forarems really started to burn which felt alright.

Does anyone see single weights that go 150 plus anywhere?  

The heaviest in my gym is 55kg (121lb), and they are already really bulky and unwieldy.  I can't imagine what a 200lb dumbbell would look like. 

33 minutes ago, apovsic said:

You run quite a lot of milage for your results. Is there some deeper plan behind this or do you just enjoy running?

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a natural runner. I'm about a foot too tall, and came to it about 20 years too late to be really fast.

I also split my year about 50/50 between climbing and running, probably to the detriment of both. Don't push even close to this mileage year round. So yeah, I mostly just enjoy running and seeing improvements in my own performance.

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 2:58 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

This is why I was concerned.  Most of the research shows that you need a good intake of high quality fats to support production of hormones, and you need a good supply of protein to maintain muscle mass and to provide amino acids for neurotransmitters.  You can lose weight on a restricted calorie intake of low quality nutrients, but eventually it will be a problem.  If your muscle mass is declining, then your calorie balance will decline too and it will get harder to continue to lose weight.  If your endocrine production drops then lower testosterone will make you retain more adipose fat and reduce your energy levels.  And the combination of less hormone production and less neurotransmitters leads to depression.

So eventually the quality of nutrition will matter.

Yeah, I hear you and I'm sure you know much more of nutrition and exercise than I do. I've been kind of a couch potato for decades. My main goal in all this was to avoid getting Diabetes. I think I was likely heading there if I did not take some sort of action. Just had a friend of near my own age die of a massive heart attack, so I guess avoiding something like that is also important to me. 

I am perhaps coasting and not trying hard enough here. I did plan to introduce some light exercise at around 160 pounds, but I may move that up and start soon. Partly I didn't start the exercise because I'm somewhat physically lazy and time-crunched, but also I did this by crash diet because I didn't want to confuse things by adding another variable. The one nice thing about this route is I know exactly where problems are. And I was trying to kind of strip myself down because I was starting at an already physically poor place. 

I seem to be doing well with the 2 beers. I'll see if I can get that further down, then maybe I can introduce a bit more protein with the saved calories. Maybe I'll just gradually do all 3 things, lessen alcohol, increase protein cals per day, and increase walking and light weight-lifting.

What I mean about knowing where the problems are is if I do some physical activity, it requires increased calories. I wouldn't know what the increased calories or protein amounts would be for the activity amounts, as I've never done any of this.

Edited by Martell Spy

Has anyone had to deal with unexplainable hand pain? There was no injury of any kind, but it's caused me to miss three or four lifting sessions now. It only hurts when I squeeze my hand, so I can do other things (mainly jog and yoga), but this is starting to get frustrating.