What will Millisandre's (sp?) role be in Winds of Winter?

I recently saw a video interview of GRRM talking about how we probably won't see Ashai in the books, but how we may read a certain character reflect upon her time in Ashai, specifically Millisandre.

What will we learn, and what are your ideas of how we will be lead to this information through her POV?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that, show spoiler: 

Spoiler

the burning of shireen

happens in the books, though not how it was done in the show. Anyway, for that event to happen, I think we have to learn a bit more about what drives Mel and why she would do that act and do "whatever it takes" to win. More or less.

That would be my best guess...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Melisandre will res Jon's body but that will only be half of what is needed. And yeah.. I think she will consider burning Shireen. Jon's soul will need to be wrestled from out of Ghost. I don't even want to think about how this is done as it could mean that Ghost needs to be killed in-order to release Jon from his second life in Ghosts skin. On top of that, Jon may need to be convinced that coming back is something worth doing. He was betrayed quite spectacularly. He may prefer life as a simple Direwolf! We readers know why that would be a terrible idea as we have the benefit of Varamyr's info dump in aDwD. Jon literally know's nothing... 

I like the idea that Mel will be a sort of leader figure at the wall. I'm pretty sure that she won over at least some wildlings to her faith. She has her queens men. She's also growing more powerful and I can see her commanding some authority. And, as things get progressively worse at the Wall, Mel will become a more appealing leader with her magic. I suppose what I'm clumsily stumbling towards, is the idea that the NW will lose control of the Wall to a hybrid group of Free-Folk, Queen's Men and NW men. 'The army of the Dawn' sort of thing.  And Mel will be their leader until Jon returns.

As for Asshai, I don't think it's going to come up, much. She'll recall something. Perhaps relating to it's demise. Too much exposition on this place will rob it of all it's wonderful mystery.

• 1 month later...

What Melisandre is should come into play as the Others and their cold wights get closer.   Her magic will likely be front and center as she is nothing if not completely set up to be the miracle worker with Jon.  We've seen time and time again that R'hllor demands sacrifice and Mel is a true believer.    It's interesting we discuss so often why the Others are coming around now.   Jon's birth, Dany's Birth, the fall of the Targs--the possibilities are endless.   Mel strikes me as the antithesis to the Others which explains (to me) her zealotry and magic.  She's going to figure largely in TWOW and it's sure to be fascinating.   

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 3:32 PM, Travis said:

I recently saw a video interview of GRRM talking about how we probably won't see Ashai in the books, but how we may read a certain character reflect upon her time in Ashai, specifically Millisandre.

What will we learn, and what are your ideas of how we will be lead to this information through her POV?

Thank you.

Your topic title did not really prompt the discussion your OP calls for. I'm not sure whether Asshai is interconnected to the plot or just a bit of world-building. 

Archived