Mance and The Milkwater

maiden of tarth

Was he really looking for the Horn of Joramun? Does he believe it exists? I know Sam has a horn that Jon gave him, that they found at The Fist of the First Men. Would Mance our all that effort into an artifact that was spoken about in stories hundreds and thousands of years old. 

I think beyond the wall, stories like that are not seen as just children stories, they are seen as memories of a forgotten time. Perhaps Mance didn't actually believe it existed, but many wildlings (including Ygritte) clearly do. Maybe they convinced him that the stories were true or maybe he convinced them to join him by telling them he would look for it.

I just finished the chapter where Jon and the wildlings scaled the wall and Ygritte cries because they've searched so many places for the Horn of Winter, and even open hundreds of graves in hope to find it.

All so they can tear down the wall. Doesn't that strike anyone else as unbelievable stupid? I asume that most wildlings are aware of what threat lies beyond the wall or gives some hint of it. Destrying the one structure that can keep the wights and Others away seems like a stupid plan, climbing and scaling the or any other way would be prefered, if the wall would break no one is safe.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:54 AM, SerClout said:

I just finished the chapter where Jon and the wildlings scaled the wall and Ygritte cries because they've searched so many places for the Horn of Winter, and even open hundreds of graves in hope to find it.

All so they can tear down the wall. Doesn't that strike anyone else as unbelievable stupid? I asume that most wildlings are aware of what threat lies beyond the wall or gives some hint of it. Destrying the one structure that can keep the wights and Others away seems like a stupid plan, climbing and scaling the or any other way would be prefered, if the wall would break no one is safe.

I get your point but I suspect at that point in time their immediate  concern was being able to get the wildlings across the wall. Most freefolk didn’t like the idea of a wall anyway.  It restricted their freedom and ability to roam as they please.  The Wall was an impediment to getting the giants, mammoths and their host of thousands on the other side since they couldn’t climb the wall.  

On 6/10/2019 at 7:09 AM, maiden of tarth said:

Was he really looking for the Horn of Joramun? Does he believe it exists? I know Sam has a horn that Jon gave him, that they found at The Fist of the First Men. Would Mance our all that effort into an artifact that was spoken about in stories hundreds and thousands of years old. 

They were definitely looking for it, Ygritte and Tormund confirm that. From that, I can only assume that they all thought it existed, although there is the possibility that Mace was just using it as an excuse to unite the Wildlings. If you're going to take on the Nights Watch, after all, you need some kind of plan.

Does Sam have the real horn? Dunno, but if he does, it's broken. Jon tried to blow it and no sound came out, no giants woke. But maybe it can be repaired?

On 6/16/2019 at 11:54 AM, SerClout said:

The thing about the Horn, though, is that by itself it does not bring down the Wall. It wakes the giants from the earth, and the wildlings believe that with their help they will be able to breach it. But even Joramun couldn't do that after he blew the horn himself. LC Mormont:

"Aye, and long before them came the Horned Lord and the brother kings, Gendel and Gorne, and in ancient days Joruman, who blew the Horn of Winter and woke giants from the earth. Each man of them broke his strength on the Wall, or was broken by the power of Winterfell on the far side . . ."

Since the Wall is still intact today, it's doubtful that Joruman used the Horn to bring it down in any way, but it is possible that the giants could wake and show him the same secret tunnel that G&G used eons later. Remember, G&G discovered the cavern when they used trickery to settle a dispute over its ownership between the giants and the children.

Mance already has a hundred or more giants in his army, for the fat lot of good they did him. Maybe he could have gotten through with more, but it's doubtful they would have torn down the Wall to do so. At best, break through the tunnel at Castle Black, or even better, sneak past the NW altogether. In this way, they would be safe and sound on the south side when the Others came.

For some reason, the wildings think the Horn brings down the Wall, but where they got this idea is beyond me. Maybe just wishful thinking for a quick solution to their immediate problem.

Archived