Video Games: Keanu Re3ves Is Breathtaking

KiDisaster

7 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Another Jason Schreier article about crunch, this time focusing on the QA contractors working on the last Call of Duty. I've had friends who've worked in QA and they can testify how shitty the conditions are; even by those standards, this sounds particularly bad:  https://kotaku.com/the-human-cost-of-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-1835859016

6 hours ago, aceluby said:

Sounds like absolute hell.  I was in QA for a while and testers do get shit on pretty much everywhere (and blamed for every bug), but this story takes it to another level

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a correlation?

On 6/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

It's one of those open world games that's as long as you want it to be. You could probably finish the main story in 20 hour or so, maybe less? I think my first playthrough took about 50 because I tried to do all the side quests and collectibles. It's one of those games that really encourages exploration. The environment itself is really cool, but the backstory is even better. I wanted to turn over every rock, so to speak, just to get a bit more information about the world and how all the past events went down. 

ETA: I'll also add my endorsement for the Frozen Wilds expansion, as others mentioned upthread. It's a superb addition to the base game.

I’m finally into HZD. I downloaded and tried it briefly when it first came out but stopped because I was playing something else at the time(I can only play one game at a time). 

I’m starting to get hooked, but I will say that I was happy to be done with the tutorial stages of the game. Just let me explore already.

Talk of HZD always distracts me from all other game thoughts.  I wish I hadn't just finished a replay so I could start a replay.

Anyway, for reasons unknown I developed the desire to play Andromeda.  I couldn't get into Mass Effect 1 or 2 and didn't even try 3.  So of course I had to play Andromeda.  Well I started it and I like it so far.  I am not far into the thing but I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I still have my Witcher 3 replay going and I'm not done with Odyssey, Resident Evil 2 or Vampyr

I am still interested in playing Fallen Order and I have decided to get Biomutant when it comes out. 

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m finally into HZD. I downloaded and tried it briefly when it first came out but stopped because I was playing something else at the time(I can only play one game at a time). 

I’m starting to get hooked, but I will say that I was happy to be done with the tutorial stages of the game. Just let me explore already.

Yes, the tutorial is a little slow. I didn't really notice how much so until my 2nd playthrough. 

I definitely got hooked the further I went. Things get really interesting once you start uncovering clues about the big picture, i.e. how things got this way.

8 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

I got my Valve Index today and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. 

The games I tried so far are not the complex but lots of fun and especially Beat Saber feels like exercise.

Sound and visuals are awesome and the setup war rather easy. 

Can't get it in Australia :crying:, but hopefully soon. I am saving up for it. Can't wait to try it out on Elite Dangerous.

Late to the Sekiro party. Started out charging around like Dark Souls getting my ass kicked. Now I'm trying a little more stealth and seems to be going better.

So far seems ok. Hasn't grabbed me in the way the Souls games do yet, but will give it some time.

4 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Can't get it in Australia :crying:, but hopefully soon. I am saving up for it. Can't wait to try it out on Elite Dangerous.

Seems worth the money so far. 

It is the first VR device I own. I tested others but I never enjoyed the controls but the grab to... well grab mechanic of the Index controllers is awesome. 

The sweet Spot is a bit difficult to find though. I know my interpupillary distance and it was easy for me but my SO has not really found it yet.

Well...I got paid, and went wild with the Steam Sale. Shadows of War, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Mercenary Kings, Green Hell, and one other that someone said was like Starship Troopers. I'm kind of thinking about Final Fantasy X as I haven't played it since release, but I remember some real shit in that game when it came to ultimate weapons and whatever. Like dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row (I hated that), or anything related to that game. Plus, I still hate Wakka so much. Though Auron, Lulu, and Kimari seem pretty cool in my memory. The sale is like a few bucks off though, so I may wait.

I love Bloodstained. It's a beautiful game. The music is by the same person who did Symphony of the Night, and some of it feels like the same music. 

I'm on the fence whether I should finish Shadows of Mordor before starting the sequel. I never finished it because I got a bit burnt out toward the end, and I hear the sequel ups the ante on everything, so it might be worthwhile to just go forward.

Green Hell looks really fun. I am a huge survival game enthusiast, and the Forest is one of my favorite games. This one looks more brutal. We'll see. 

I'm also working on a playthrough of Dragon's Dogma, which has the most of my attention right now. I'd forgotten how good this game is.

SGDQ 2019 just wrapped up, raising just over 3 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders. Smashing the previous GDQ record by half a million. 

These events are always such a joy to watch. 

https://s17.directupload.net/images/190630/qk28fpet.png

I'm now 180 days in in my Surviving Mars playthrough and can safely say that I have reached the endgame content. I now started to build the first batch of wonders. Starting innocent enough with the giant satellite dish to drastically enhance my research output: https://s17.directupload.net/images/190630/tows58ut.png

But that picture is ages old. I then came into quite a bit of trouble because of my lack of metals, so I answered by building the huge mine into the Martian crust (ironically before I researched deep metal extraction, that tech tree is somewhat ridiculous) that gives you endless metals... but also endless waste rock. As I watched my southern base get buried in Waste Rock I somewhat frantically started to research the Atmosphere increasing carbonate processor thingy and the waste rock liquifier in order to get of it. Which I... didn't really manage, given that I am still at 15k units of Waste Rock piling up all around my bases.

Because I ran into a bit of a power shortage then, I focused on the artificial sun that essentially blows up your energy production next. I'm now 1700 energy in the plus and apparently don't have to build any more wind turbines ever. And that despite leaving my huge wind park as is, despite its power output likely to rapidly increasing as well thanks to the terraforming boost of a thicker atmosphere that is now underway through my three carbonate processors. Which in turn will also soon make Meteor showers impossible if I manage to increase the atmosphere to a certain degree.

Right now it's smooth sailing. I keep my population steady at 850 people, I have unlimited water thanks to the water vaporizers being broken as hell (heck, I still have my very first water extractor, its deposit has never been depleted), I have unlimited energy thanks to the artificial sun, I have unlimited raw materials thanks to the Mohole Mine, I have 11000 research per day... It's all pretty ridiculous. My only current shortages are that I get some resources here and there because I am doing too many grand projects at once, also burning through my fuel reserves as I am importing too much stuff (mostly because I really don't know where to put all the rare metals I'm extracting...). That's why I'm now building the orbital escalator in order to reduce the strain on my fuel refineries.

And then to top it all off, the above pictured first tree on Mars. The moment I unlocked bushes and trees, the entire seeding thing exploded. Up until now I had to grow my seeds in my farms beneath the domes, forcing me to balance food and seed production in the precious few spaces I have for either. But bushes and trees in the wild continuously generate more seeds. A ridiculous ton of them even in just small patches of vegetation. Enough to feed a dozen of forestation plants and then some. As I watched my stockpiles spill over, I frantically covered all my bases with these plants in order to make some use of the newfound frenzy. It's ridiculous. And utterly awesome! Now I can research missions that allow my rockets to further fly out and spread these seeds across the planet. This is going to be awesome! But also quite a bit dangerous in combination with my meddling with the density of the atmosphere. The terraforming guide on the planet screen tells me that there is a dangerous time window where I might cause acid rains that kill my vegetation again...

18 hours ago, RumHam said:

Mario Maker is so neat. I haven't even made anything worth saving yet but just dicking around in the editor in 8-bit mode was amazing. 

If you make a level you think is worth saving, please post it here! I'm excited to give the game a try tonight.

Yes, please post level and/or Maker codes. My Maker page is code S4B-227-G8G. 

I am most interested in traditional Mario levels. I've tried to identify what makes Nintendo-designed levels so good; I doubt I'll ever be as good as that, but I'm trying to identify and follow some design principles. For example, there shouldn't be items it's not possible to get, and coin trails shouldn't lead you to your death. 

I crave feedback, so please do tell me when you like a level and when you don't, and why! 

On 6/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, Fez said:

This became the case for me several years ago. I've picked up almost all the back catalog games I want, which means it's now just a question each sale of whether there are any games from the past year that I: 1) Want to play, 2) Haven't bought already, and 3) Are on sale. Usually there are very few games that fit the bill.

So far all I've bought is Katana Zero, which has some crazy style going for it that I really like so far, and Gris.

But between Total War: Three Kingdoms and finally giving a full go to Pathfinder Kingmaker, I don't really need any more games for a while (At 50 hours in, going relatively fast I think, I'm only midway through Act III of VII in PK; the game is massive).

Well, despite all this still being true, I have picked up two more games. One is Spellforce III, which I haven't touched and don't know much about, but at 60% off I'm willing to give an RTS/RPG hybrid a shot even if it's a bit janky. The other is WH40k: Inquisitor: Martyr, which apparently got a huge overhaul recently that supposed corrected a lot of the release issues. I don't know much about what changed, but I've played a few hours and it definitely seems far better than its review scores. It's a competent Diablo-clone that accurately captures the goofy, self-serious tone of WH40K.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Well, despite all this still being true, I have picked up two more games. One is Spellforce III, which I haven't touched and don't know much about, but at 60% off I'm willing to give an RTS/RPG hybrid a shot even if it's a bit janky. The other is WH40k: Inquisitor: Martyr, which apparently got a huge overhaul recently that supposed corrected a lot of the release issues. I don't know much about what changed, but I've played a few hours and it definitely seems far better than its review scores. It's a competent Diablo-clone that accurately captures the goofy, self-serious tone of WH40K.

“Competent Diablo clone” with a 40K theme? I’m intrigued

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

“Competent Diablo clone” with a 40K theme? I’m intrigued

Yeah, it's a solid game, and definitely worth the $25 price that it's got during the steam sale. You're an Inquisitor investigating a space hulk and things spiral out from there; there's three core classes (each with three sub-classes), so you're either a Primaris Psyker, Crusader, or Death Cult Assassin that's been made an Inquisitor. The story is decently intriguing, they pulled all the names from of classic 40K items for the gear (bolters, lasguns, etc.), and they even pulled terms from the tabletop for some of their game mechanics (e.g. the Psyker class has to worry about "perils of the warp" if they use too many psychic abilities).

There are passive abilities and perks that you level up, and active abilities come from your weapons. Every two-handed weapon has 4 abilities, every one-handed weapon has 2 abilities and you can dual-wield. There's also all the usual stuff of crafting, socketing, and changing your heal and grenades; and tons and tons of drops from dead enemies.

Combat is basically Diablo, with one big change. There's a cover mechanic system, a dodge system, and a damage blocking system and you really want to use at least one of them. Damage blocking is just based on gear, and let's you truly play it as a Diablo game. Dodge is active-based (with a proc to help you) and means paying enough attention to click and move your character to avoid the big hits. And the cover system is just that; you click behind walls and go into cover and just use ranged weapons. You get two weapon set loadouts that you can freely change between; I'm an Assassin and right now I'm rocking a sniper rifle and a power sword for when the hordes get too close.

As I mentioned, there was a huge 2.0 patch that came out last month. I don't know what the game was like before, but supposedly the combat and gear progression systems were totally overhauled, so any reviews from when it released last year that are down on those aspects are out of date.

8 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

If you make a level you think is worth saving, please post it here! I'm excited to give the game a try tonight.

7 hours ago, Inigima said:

Yes, please post level and/or Maker codes. My Maker page is code S4B-227-G8G. 

I am most interested in traditional Mario levels.

I've only made one so far. 3QK-6B7-NYG I think it's mostly traditional other than having a hidden alternate path to the end that's not even really a shortcut. 

Skyrim went down in price on the Switch, and my Sekiro no final death run isn't holding my attention right now on my 6th playthrough, so I finally bit the bullet and picked it up.  I decided to create a game breaking character solely focused on overpowered alchemy and enchanting.  About 8 hours in and I'm level 40, one hit everything with a wooden sword, am invincible, and can pick any lock.  Did that before the first mission, so now I'm just waiting for something that boosts smithing and pickpocketing.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:59 AM, Impmk2 said:

Late to the Sekiro party. Started out charging around like Dark Souls getting my ass kicked. Now I'm trying a little more stealth and seems to be going better.

So far seems ok. Hasn't grabbed me in the way the Souls games do yet, but will give it some time.

This helped me in the beginning when I was still getting used to the combat mechanics:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/07/01/cd-projekt-red-working-on-two-more-cyberpunk-2077-projects

The 'standalone multiplayer game' is almost certainly Netrunner I think. I had hoped for a digital version of the card game for a long, long time but I wish it wasn't happening this way. 

Archived