Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ygrain

The purpose of Dany's fireproofness?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the show version of fireproof Dany was utilised exactly twice - burning teh evul mage who wanted to steal her dragons, and khal barbecue (discounting the pyre, as that was both book and show). Those were quite cool scenes, but in the grand scheme of things, rather irrelevant. Couldn't - and shouldn't - this special abilities have been used somewhere towards the finale? Say, Dany facing NK and Jon deciding for "the end justifies the means" and sprays them both with dragonfire. The following scene between Jon and Dany would have a lot of potential: "Hey, Jon, you knew I was fireproof?" - "Er...."

 

ETA: I basically made this thread for brainstorming how Dany's fireproofness could have been utilised, so... any ideas?

Edited by Ygrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Night King is fireproof too, also it seems other White Walkers can extinguish the fire as well.

-7:20-

Maybe she could wait in there so no Wights could reach her, but that's it. White Walkers can extinguish that fire, so it wouldn't work on Night King or White Walkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but they didn't know NK was fireproof until they tried (and that was a bullshit idea in the first place)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't quite understand what the point of making her fireproof at all times was supposed to be. It didn't exactly help her beyond S6 when she randomly utilised it to kill the khals.  Like you I feel that Dany's fireproofness really needed to be used either in the fight against the Night King - or perhaps in the attack on King's Landing. Hypothetically, if Cersei's wildfire had blown up in her face then she could have emerged unscathed in a parallel to the Night King? Like, "You thought that would work? That's cute."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The burning of the khals seemed to have a purpose, to explain to viewers how she survived that. 

At one point I thought it was because it would give her overconfidence in regards to wildfire, which would kill her.

Otherwise, it just made her into an infallible superhero/villain. She can burn all these people but never experience the horror of what she inflicts.

Dany in the books isnt even that special, although she deludes herself into thinking she is "fire made flesh" and that her burns aren't as severe as they probably are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, Ygrain said:

but the show version of fireproof Dany was utilised exactly twice

Well, this is one point I really like more in the show than in the books. 

In the show the fireproof ability is at least consistent. Too hot bath tub in S1E1, hot stone eggs some episodes later, then surviving the fire. This fits and makes somehow sense. It is not a one-time only magic, but a property of Daenerys.

The fire is used twice, that's right: Funeral pyre and Dosh Khaleen. But it makes it very believable to attack with fire and feel safe on the back of the fiery dragon.

Why do you want to see even more application of this special power? 

OK, but yes, the whole thing could have been written without fireproofness and the dragons could been hatched on their own in the funeral pyre fire. But I drastically prefer this version. That was epic and really fine. 

Season 1 was just great and almost perfect.

Edited by Kajjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Ygrain said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the show version of fireproof Dany was utilised exactly twice - burning teh evul mage who wanted to steal her dragons, and khal barbecue (discounting the pyre, as that was both book and show). Those were quite cool scenes, but in the grand scheme of things, rather irrelevant. Couldn't - and shouldn't - this special abilities have been used somewhere towards the finale? Say, Dany facing NK and Jon deciding for "the end justifies the means" and sprays them both with dragonfire. The following scene between Jon and Dany would have a lot of potential: "Hey, Jon, you knew I was fireproof?" - "Er...."

 

ETA: I basically made this thread for brainstorming how Dany's fireproofness could have been utilised, so... any ideas?

It was just convenience. They had to have her impress the Khals into submission. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

It was just convenience. They had to have her impress the Khals into submission. 

Well, then it didn't work. Not even a single Khal was impressed, and not a one of them submitted to her. There was no opportunity for submission.  There was only an opportunity to be trapped and burnt alive, one of the most excruciating of deaths.

So her second bout of being fireproof was NOT in order to impress the Khals. It was to impress us, the audience, with her capacity for total brutality whenever she felt she was in the right. Or at least, deserving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would think that riding a huge firebreathing beast should be an impression enough...

And ordering the said beast to dracarys the unimpressed khals would have served exactly the same purpose, thus making her awesome fireproofness redundant.

I'm starting to think that the whole fireproofness schtick was developed so that they could have the pyre moment without much explaining, and then they didn't see much further use for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that it was a cool trait for her to have, and something that only some special targs possess. And then they gave the same trait to the NK to make him look more formidable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Ygrain said:

"Hey, Jon, you knew I was fireproof?" - "Er...."

Apologies, I do not want to distract from serious discussion, but can I just say how awesome the above is :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Apologies, I do not want to distract from serious discussion, but can I just say how awesome the above is :lmao:

Glad you like it, but I must admit a certain level of inspiration from Rogue One - K2SO's "Did you know that wasn't me?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

My guess is that it was a cool trait for her to have, and something that only some special targs possess. And then they gave the same trait to the NK to make him look more formidable.

 

It's like the showrunners wanted to give her some sort of superpower more befitting a superhero or supervillain from a comic book than a human being. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

It's like the showrunners wanted to give her some sort of superpower more befitting a superhero or supervillain from a comic book than a human being. 

Yup.

Which is why I always thought that Bran's warging abilities would be involved somehow in defeating the NK. Dany's superpower doesn't seem to work with the NK, maybe Bran will use his. But nope, he didn't do anything.

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

Glad you like it, but I must admit a certain level of inspiration from Rogue One - K2SO's "Did you know that wasn't me?"

I was trying to figure out why that sounded familiar. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Which is why I always thought that Bran's warging abilities would be involved somehow in defeating the NK. Dany's superpower doesn't seem to work with the NK, maybe Bran will use his. But nope, he didn't do anything.

But, but, he warged the crows!

- Yeah, that was another seemingly important trait that went absolutely nowhere.

8 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

I was trying to figure out why that sounded familiar. Thanks!

Most welcome :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ygrain said:

But, but, he warged the crows!

- Yeah, that was another seemingly important trait that went absolutely nowhere.

Most welcome :-)

Since we are on the subject of traits that went nowhere, Arya's ability of change faces seems like one of them too. She had already killed Walder Frey and his sons without needing to change faces. I doubt Walder Frey would've recognized her had she used her own face while serving him the pie. And she didn't use it after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

Since we are on the subject of traits that went nowhere, Arya's ability of change faces seems like one of them too. She had already killed Walder Frey and his sons without needing to change faces. I doubt Walder Frey would've recognized her had she used her own face while serving him the pie. And she didn't use it after that.

Wait a sec - she poised as Walder to lure in all the remaining Freys for a Purple Wedding 2.0 (which is my most favourite scene of the whole season), so I'd say it was well utilized. After that, I don't think there was much opportunity for further use (unless we go with killing Sansa, putting on her face and then offing LF after luring him into "Sansa's" bed). And since Arya stopped following her killing list, there wasn't really much to do for her, minus the convoluted jumping ninja stuff while screaming like a little girl, which is what trained assassins apparently do :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Wait a sec - she poised as Walder to lure in all the remaining Freys for a Purple Wedding 2.0 (which is my most favourite scene of the whole season), so I'd say it was well utilized. After that, I don't think there was much opportunity for further use (unless we go with killing Sansa, putting on her face and then offing LF after luring him into "Sansa's" bed). And since Arya stopped following her killing list, there wasn't really much to do for her, minus the convoluted jumping ninja stuff while screaming like a little girl, which is what trained assassins apparently do :rolleyes: 

Don't get me wrong, I liked that scene too. In large part because of David Bradley. But come on, don't you hate one use tools in your kitchen? They take up too much space..

Now Arya killing Sansa to seduce LF, that would've made for riveting television. I wonder why they didn't go with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

Don't get me wrong, I liked that scene too. In large part because of David Bradley. But come on, don't you hate one use tools in your kitchen? They take up too much space..

Now Arya killing Sansa to seduce LF, that would've made for riveting television. I wonder why they didn't go with that.

Perhaps because that wasn't George's story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

Don't get me wrong, I liked that scene too. In large part because of David Bradley. But come on, don't you hate one use tools in your kitchen? They take up too much space..

I wouldn't know, I don't have any tools which can only be used once :D

 

52 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Perhaps because that wasn't George's story?

Having Sansa raped by Ramsay wasn't George's story, either :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×