About the Coldhands =/= Benjen thing...

Selere

I'm sure most of you have seen this

http://i.imgur.com/FfI1goA.jpg

It's an early draft of ADWD where an editor asked GRRM if CH was Benjen, to which he was replied "no".

A lot of people took this as ultimate proof, but does it even make sense? Is an editor supposed to be asking spoilers about the series? Why does he even need to know that? What if George just told him no , but was actually planning on making that a real thing (if this was just an early draft)?

This all is a bit confusing to me. 

Sorry you are confused.

Is "confused" really the right word, or do you just wish that Coldhands really is Benjen and wish that the author hadn't closed off this possibility?

Regarding your questions:

Editors and the authors with whom they work are often acquaintances. Sometimes they have conversations.

Ideally, editors are interested in the works they edit. Perhaps even eager to know about future plot twists. This may not be a case of "needing" to know the identity of Coldhands, but making an inference and going directly to the author to find out whether that inference is correct.

My guess is that George did not give the editor a false answer while secretly nurturing a devious plan to reveal Coldhands as Benjen at a later date. I feel quite confident that GRRM does not provide false information to his readers, including his editor.

He is probably extra nice to his editor, in fact, because the editor would be employed by his publisher, right? And his publisher's representatives probably feel a little impatient with him once in awhile, similar to an army of ice zombies trying to stick their hands down his throat. The editor could be helping to smooth things over, sort of like an undead guy who is immune to the attacks of the other publishing employees because she is already one of them! (Except with ink on her cold, dead hands instead of ice!) In other words,

Editor = Coldhands.

You're welcome.

12 hours ago, El Diego said:

The editor thinks it's Benjen, then asks if Bran doesn't recognize him because of his face being half hidden. The editor is trying to suss out plot holes. I see nothing weird about this.

I guess this makes the most sense. 

18 hours ago, El Diego said:

The editor thinks it's Benjen, then asks if Bran doesn't recognize him because of his face being half hidden. The editor is trying to suss out plot holes. I see nothing weird about this.

I agree

Archived