Why Does Darkstar Matter?

Seriously. Why do people like this character? Why does he exist? 

We are constantly told that Darkstar is THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN DORNE, but we never see him actually do anything. He has a sword he barely uses, he’s just kind of a dick, and he tries to kill a defenseless child - what here makes him interesting? 

WHY DOES HE EXIST 

(oh, and please don’t say it’s because Jon’s mom is Ashara Dayne, if the sh*w was going to change one thing, it wouldn’t have been the central mystery of the series) 

39 minutes ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

he’s just kind of a dick

This is that Jeopardy question where nobody buzzes in and time expires.   People usually go with something complex and esoteric when they try to explain Darkstar's dangerousness.  Or they keep it short by insulting him and throwing up their hands in exasperation over Dorne.  I'm going to tell you he's Rheagar and then quickly leave and not read any of the responses. 

He didn't attack Myrcella actually, he surrounded to Areo Hotah, he was framed for the crime Drey/Dalt committed, no one saw Darkstar attacking Myrcella not even Arianne, it is Doran who says the opposite, Darkstar also knows Arys Oakheart was killed by Areo and Meryn will be killed his as well. That's why he is the most dangerous man of Dorne. 

Constantly? He has appeared once and mentioned twice more. 

Besides attacking Myrcela was to be a casus beli. Trying to start a war on their own by killing a child is not something most people would do. It would be fair to say that this what the purported danger refers to. 

Right now we don't know much about Darkstar, but obviously he is going to play some part in the story or GRRM wouldn't have introduced him. And of course there's some mystery about the Daynes and their role during Robert's rebellion and in the R+L=J business. There's just too much background info already for them not to be important.

7 hours ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

We are constantly told that Darkstar is THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN DORNE, but we never see him actually do anything. He has a sword he barely uses, he’s just kind of a dick, and he tries to kill a defenseless child - what here makes him interesting? 

WHY DOES HE EXIST?

Because after scrapping the 5 year gap, Ned Dayne turned out to be too young to fulfill his intended role.

Are we certain he is the one who tried to kill Myrcella? Arianne's POV gives us nothing on that. She didn't see anything. And we know Doran is already lying about him killing Arys Oakheart when he really didn't have to. How do we know he's not lying about what happened to Myrcella as well?

It's easy to believe he did what he is accused of doing because of the things he said about starting a war. I think he's a bag of wind, personally, and that he had nothing to do with Myrcella's injuries.

Darkstar is dangerous because he has knowledge of Arianne trying to crown Myrcella. He knows the whys and whats and it's treason. If he wanted to send a raven to King's Landing and tell Cersei what Arianne did, then he poses a danger to Dorne and to the Martells as well. 

And we still don't know who gave up Arianne's plans to Doran.

To the OP: because not all bad boys can't be Daario Naharis.

3 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Maybe its a way to find out about R+L=J. If Darkstar escapes to Starfall, then Areo Hotah will follow him there. We could then meet some other Daynes through his POV, and find out what happened with Arthur, Ashara, and Ned Stark. 

:o This would be soooo sweet.

6 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Maybe its a way to find out about R+L=J. If Darkstar escapes to Starfall, then Areo Hotah will follow him there. We could then meet some other Daynes through his POV, and find out what happened with Arthur, Ashara, and Ned Stark. 

Hoping for this. Otherwise it is purely a move to fuel the winds for war.

18 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Oh yeah, certainly. It is a good point that someone made in this forum. It is the only reason I can think of why Areo was sent away, exactly when things are getting interesting for the Dorne subplot and we do not get a PoV around Doran. It must be because there is something even more important to describe.

18 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

I never thought of that, and it's genious. 

I don't think I've been the first to say that, but it's worth repeating because the issue of Darkstar (the clumsiest written character in the novels) comes back from time to time.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

I don't think I've been the first to say that, but it's worth repeating because the issue of Darkstar (the clumsiest written character in the novels) comes back from time to time.

I don't know that he is clumsily written. He is written through the eyes of Arianne and she is the audience for his shenanigans. Arianne likes men who are beautiful and dangerous and he seems aware of that. It just seems like he is playing up to her. He may be a completely different character when we see him in Aero Hotah's POV.

23 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

The only other Dayne is Allyria Dayne and she already told us Jon's mother is Wylla and Ned/Ashara fall in love at Harrenhall. 

2 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

The only other Dayne is Allyria Dayne and she already told us Jon's mother is Wylla and Ned/Ashara fall in love at Harrenhall. 

Edric Dayne told us that 1) someone told him that Wylla is Jon's mother and 2) Allyria told him that Ned/Ashara fell in love at Harrenhall. Important distinctions.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, Ser Leftwich said:

"Keep reading."

This.  His tale has yet to be told.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

WHY DOES HE EXIST 

(oh, and please don’t say it’s because Jon’s mom is Ashara Dayne, if the sh*w was going to change one thing, it wouldn’t have been the central mystery of the series) 

He's the most dangerous man in Dorne because Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne, says he is.  We can't discount a character whose story has been set up for the next book.  Some readers like to dis Gerold Dayne because he tried to kill a young girl but I think he saw that Arianne Martell's effort to start a war with the Iron Throne had failed and that he thought killing Myrcella Baratheon would make that war happen after all. 

34 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Edric Dayne told us that 1) someone told him that Wylla is Jon's mother and 2) Allyria told him that Ned/Ashara fell in love at Harrenhall. Important distinctions.

That someone is either Wylla herself if not her then it could be Allyria again to hear the rumors and inform Edric or Wylla being Jon's mother is never hidden in Starfall. Anyways Daynes don't have any secret knowledge in RLJ as the family consist three members. 

I remember reading on this forum that some believe Darkstar is actually Doran's mole in Arriannes group, and that he is still working for him , and the plan the send Balon Swan to kill him is actually in fact, the other way around, an way to discreetly kill Balon and keep some plausible deniability 

Archived