The most special D&D lines throughout the Inside the Episode series (and other media)

Beardy the Wildling

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

But no, it had to be Cersei. Why? Well, I'll spoil my theory ahead of time: Benioff is Cersei. Specifically, he's the worst of Book-Cersei, and has experienced a life not dissimilar to Show-Cersei. Let's go through the points.

On top of that, I would argue that he wants to be Jamie. Hence why they don't have the Jamie/Tywin issues in the show. His own father was not great to him and he sees himself as Jamie so he changed Jamie's story to have a more supportive father. The whole Tywin teaches Jamie to read thing early on in the show. But the ironic thing is, just as you have stated, he is Cersei in real life.

Just now, btfu806 said:

On top of that, I would argue that he wants to be Jamie. Hence why they don't have the Jamie/Tywin issues in the show. His own father was not great to him and he sees himself as Jamie so he changed Jamie's story to have a more supportive father. The whole Tywin teaches Jamie to read thing early on in the show. But the ironic thing is, just as you have stated, he is Cersei in real life.

Also why Jaime doesn’t seem all too hindered by his lack of dominant hand. Benioff wants to be a tough action hero, so an arc where someone is forced to learn alternatives to said path is too much like something scary. So instead he runs around in a weird oversexualised sunny land surrounded by hot ethnic chicks. 

12 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

One of the themes I always enjoyed was them doing the commentary for the episode where Stannis dies 5.10 (I think if I remember correctly). The entire commentary was just about the looks characters give and how they emote. It was at that point I realized that they think emoting makes great TV.

And the most insane line they have ever said, "We re-conceived the role to make it worthy of the actor's talents." This is how we got Dorne..... and other messes.

'We reconceived the role to make it worthy of the actor's talents' reeks of 'we think we can do a better story than GRRM, also, writing dialogue is for dumb nerds'.

Just now, Beardy the Wildling said:

'We reconceived the role to make it worthy of the actor's talents' reeks of 'we think we can do a better story than GRRM, also, writing dialogue is for dumb nerds'.

That and I think they think great actors emoting makes great story. So Indira Varma is a good actress so we should suddenly have Dorne in there because she can carry it if we tell her to emote. Dorne was never supposed to be in that show.

4 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

That and I think they think great actors emoting makes great story. So Indira Varma is a good actress so we should suddenly have Dorne in there because she can carry it if we tell her to emote. Dorne was never supposed to be in that show.

It could have been in the show, but it was contingent on (f)Aegon and the actual Golden Company being there too, which for some reason D&D didn't want. So instead we just had a messy, pointless arc without Arianne or a crowning of Myrcella, just several hours of pure idiocy. Outright insulting idiocy too; essentially, they imply that strong women are catty, murder-obsessed idiots who say things like 'you're a greedy bitch, you know that?' regarding a 'kill steal' of their own fucking cousin.

Also, that true sexual liberation would allow for brother-sister incest. And that non-action hero men are impotent and worthy of death by hyperfeminist heroines. Hoo fucking boy.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:31 PM, Beardy the Wildling said:

I think I mentioned this before, but they seem to struggle with literally everything from the book post-red wedding. Oberyn and Ellaria living in a brothel, Stannis and Jon's negotiations at the wall, Euron Greyjoy in general, Lady Stoneheart, Sam's time at Braavos and the Citadel, Arya's training with the Faceless... it's really telling that they got their adaptation hard on by seeing the Red Wedding, and then gave up shortly after. 

I wonder if they stopped actively reading with comprehension after they found out Arya didn't die at the Red Wedding (chapter 65).

It wouldn't have surprised me at all if they skipped a bunch of chapters after Arya XI (the one where Arya's close call at the Twins with the Hound) so they could find out what happened to Arya. There's a whole 13 chapters between Arya XI and Arya XII (the one where we find out Arya didn't die) and -- hilariously enough -- one of those 13 is the last Bran chapter.

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I wonder if they stopped actively reading with comprehension after they found out Arya didn't die at the Red Wedding (chapter 65).

It wouldn't have surprised me at all if they skipped a bunch of chapters after Arya XI (the one where Arya's close call at the Twins with the Hound) so they could find out what happened to Arya. There's a whole 13 chapters between Arya XI and Arya XII (the one where we find out Arya didn't die) and -- hilariously enough -- one of those 13 is the last Bran chapter.

It would explain why the kinda forgot Sam is a POV character, Arianne Martell exists, that Jaime cared about the innocents of King's Landing, that Stannis is the one who rallied the north and looks likely to beat the Boltons, et cetera, et cetera.

14 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

It would explain why the kinda forgot Sam is a POV character, Arianne Martell exists, that Jaime cared about the innocents of King's Landing, that Stannis is the one who rallied the north and looks likely to beat the Boltons, et cetera, et cetera.

I still think Sansa will show up at the last minute with an army of Valemen and pull the rug out from under Stannis and Ramsay/Roose. Just like a college student who turns in his paper at 11:59:01 pm just before the 11:59:59 pm deadline.

It would be fitting. Stannis is bizarrely dismissive of Sansa...

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I still think Sansa will show up at the last minute with an army of Valemen and pull the rug out from under Stannis and Ramsay/Roose. Just like a college student who turns in his paper at 11:59:01 pm just before the 11:59:59 pm deadline.

It would be fitting. Stannis is bizarrely dismissive of Sansa...

And if that happens in the books, I'd be happily surprised. I believe Sansa is gonna spend a little longer waiting in the Vale, but if the Vale does get involved in the North's battles earlier than I expect, I'd still be fine.

Because GRRM actually makes shit like that plausible.

As opposed to making the Vale's swing army status an obvious case of last-minute salvation for le shocks and cheers despite Sansa being able to tell Jon about her plans at any fucking time.

51 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

And if that happens in the books, I'd be happily surprised. I believe Sansa is gonna spend a little longer waiting in the Vale, but if the Vale does get involved in the North's battles earlier than I expect, I'd still be fine.

As opposed to making the Vale's swing army status an obvious case of last-minute salvation for le shocks and cheers despite Sansa being able to tell Jon about her plans at any fucking time.

The irritating thing is that even in the show the intervention of the Vale knights could have been made plausible and provide tension.  Jon could have chosen to fight, like Wellington at Waterloo, in the expectation that his allies would arrive on time.  Then, the battle would turn on whether he could hold out long enough

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The irritating thing is that even in the show the intervention of the Vale knights could have been made plausible and provide tension.  Jon could have chosen to fight, like Wellington at Waterloo, in the expectation that his allies would arrive on time.  Then, the battle would turn on whether he could hold out long enough

Wow, that would have been amazing! You could throw in Jon teaching the wildlings to fight in schiltrons (not with complete success maybe, but plausible enough, the commoners in RL schiltrons would not have had long training either) to hold the Boltons at bay just long enough.

History is the best inspiration for fiction after all. Well if used appropriately. Bolton's Praetorian Guard with updated Macedonian Sarissas is an example of how not to do it. Where tf did those guys come from?

15 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Wow, that would have been amazing! You could throw in Jon teaching the wildlings to fight in schiltrons (not with complete success maybe, but plausible enough, the commoners in RL schiltrons would not have had long training either) to hold the Boltons at bay just long enough.

History is the best inspiration for fiction after all. Well if used appropriately. Bolton's Praetorian Guard with updated Macedonian Sarissas is an example of how not to do it. Where tf did those guys come from?

That would have required them to write Jon Snow as a smart character, like he is in the books, rather than the dumb oaf they wrote him as in the show.

6 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

Not the least of my complaints about the Show is the way that military tactics go steadily downhill in the later seasons. The Battle of Blackwater was done brilliantly.  The Battle of the Bastards - not so much.

But, your comment is correct.  History provides wonderful stories that you can follow.  All you need to do is change the names.  It ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Makes you wonder what the original ending and scenes were for The Battle of the Bastards. Since Sapochnik has come out and said that was not the ending they were supposed to film (and a lot of those scenes were supposed to play out differently in general.)

21 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Makes you wonder what the original ending and scenes were for The Battle of the Bastards. Since Sapochnik has come out and said that was not the ending they were supposed to film (and a lot of those scenes were supposed to play out differently in general.)

Did you watch this?

4 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

Did you watch this?

Good grief, listening to this infuriates me. They come across as having completely drunk their own kool-aid. Apologists will probably say this video is nitpicking but when you put it together with what we see from them in Inside the Episode videos, and what they turned out with season 8, it all fits together to form a more complete picture. 

I mean, I understand the creative process involves a lot of back and forth, and it's always difficult matching what's in your head to what's practically possible, and I don't expect them to know much about the nitty gritty of directing, set design, training animals or what not. But they come across as so arrogant and out-of-touch, like they're convinced they were put on this earth to lead mere mortals like Miguel Sapochnik into the impossible with their 'visionary genius' and 'can-do' attitude.

What makes it so annoying for me is I know people like this in real life. I put a lot of it down to what I call the 'Steve Jobs' effect, where people get this idea in their heads that the out-of-touch-with-reality sociopaths who usually lead big businesses and big projects are god's gift to humanity because they're the only ones with the balls to "achieve the impossible". Meanwhile all they're doing is giving orders and then pissing off to eat a sandwich while people like Miguel Sapochnik are left to actually do the work and pick up the pieces.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

I put a lot of it down to what I call the 'Steve Jobs' effect, where people get this idea in their heads that the out-of-touch-with-reality sociopaths who usually lead big businesses and big projects are god's gift to humanity because they're the only ones with the balls to "achieve the impossible". Meanwhile all they're doing is giving orders and then pissing off to eat a sandwich while people like Miguel Sapochnik are left to actually do the work and pick up the pieces.

All of this is clearly visible (if you have a bit of experience and are able to read between the lines and hear the unsaid) in "The Last Watch" documentary (made by an independent director). Technicians, stuntmen, artists working like HELL while the showrunners are... God knows where, probably working on Star Wars… 

Needle is Revenge.  Has that one come up?  That was the one that told me there really was no dealing with those idiots.  Here's the video of it, with another one to make the point.

The Arya segment, and Needle is REVENGE, starts about 1:28, wouldn't want to ask anyone to over subject themselves to, well, mostly Benioff, but it is Yes Man Weiss that delivers the killer statement of Needle being REVENGE!! 

And, this video below shows how, somehow, Maisie seems to have known the truth.  The actual passage from the book of her thoughts about Needle being Winterfell and Jon Snow's Smile is read over the scene.  NO ASSWIPE, NEEDLE IS NOT REVENGE!!  Honestly, I still find this one of the most infuriating things they've ever said. 

Here's some fun REVENGE!! 

Now, that's some fun REVENGE!! 

On 6/20/2019 at 2:32 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Earlier than expected?! How long do you want her to wait in the Vale?! The entirety of Winds of Winter and her first chapter in A Dream of Spring?!

Lol, I mean come on. She's been in the Vale since A Storm of Swords. Bran only got to the Cave of the 3EC in his last chapter in A Dance with Dragons. Arya got to Braavos and walked into the House of Black and White in her first chapter in A Feast for Crows. However, Sansa has been in the Vale surrounded by Valemen since her penultimate chapter in A Storm of Swords.

In other words, Sansa has been in her "boarding school from hell" longer than Arya and Bran have.

How long does she need to wait? Things have to start moving now and Sansa is going to be the first to leave. Because she's the one who is going to have to make Winterfell a home again. Bran and Arya won't be coming home until Dream but there's no reason for Jon and Sansa not to reunite in Winterfell in the last few chapters of Winds...

GRRM can do a lot in 5 chapters. Sansa has an average of 6 chapters per book; in Feast, she had 3 chapters and there was at least one Sansa chapter cut out of Dance. If Sansa has 6 chapters total in this next book with 3 chapters in the Vale with Littlefinger and chapter number 4 on the road (en route to White Harbor, the Twins, Greywater Watch, etc.), then she can spend the last two chapters in Winterfell rubbing elbows with Stannis, Theon, Asha, Ramsay, Jon, Melisandre, Davos, Rickon, Tycho, Mance, etc.

Archived