The most special D&D lines throughout the Inside the Episode series (and other media)

Beardy the Wildling

3 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Earlier than expected?! How long do you want her to wait in the Vale?! The entirety of Winds of Winter and her first chapter in A Dream of Spring?!

Lol, I mean come on. She's been in the Vale since A Storm of Swords. Bran only got to the Cave of the 3EC in his last chapter in A Dance with Dragons. Arya got to Braavos and walked into the House of Black and White in her first chapter in A Feast for Crows. However, Sansa has been in the Vale surrounded by Valemen since her penultimate chapter in A Storm of Swords.

In other words, Sansa has been in her "boarding school from hell" longer than Arya and Bran have.

How long does she need to wait? Things have to start moving now and Sansa is going to be the first to leave. Because she's the one who is going to have to make Winterfell a home again. Bran and Arya won't be coming home until Dream but there's no reason for Jon and Sansa not to reunite in Winterfell in the last few chapters of Winds...

GRRM can do a lot in 5 chapters. Sansa has an average of 6 chapters per book; in Feast, she had 3 chapters and there was at least one Sansa chapter cut out of Dance. If Sansa has 6 chapters total in this next book with 3 chapters in the Vale with Littlefinger and chapter number 4 on the road (en route to White Harbor, the Twins, Greywater Watch, etc.), then she can spend the last two chapters in Winterfell rubbing elbows with Stannis, Theon, Asha, Ramsay, Jon, Melisandre, Davos, Rickon, Tycho, Mance, etc.

What I mean by 'earlier than expected' is 'prior to the Bolton occupation being routed and being handed over to the Boltons as a key to the north by a mentally deficient Littlefinger. 'Not a whole GRRM length book length earlier but still earlier', quite unbelievably, counts as 'earlier'.

I expected my point to be  sufficiently clear, but I suppose not. I don't expect her to spend TWOW entirely in the Vale, but definitely I expect her to secure an important husband (likely Harry the Heir) before making any demands of the Valemen.

17 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

What I mean by 'earlier than expected' is 'prior to the Bolton occupation being routed and being handed over to the Boltons as a key to the north by a mentally deficient Littlefinger. 'Not a whole GRRM length book length earlier but still earlier', quite unbelievably, counts as 'earlier'.

I expected my point to be  sufficiently clear, but I suppose not. I don't expect her to spend TWOW entirely in the Vale, but definitely I expect her to secure an important husband (likely Harry the Heir) before making any demands of the Valemen.

I don't think it will take her too long to secure an important, powerful husband and fight off any catty, ne'er do wells. She can do that in three or four chapters time.

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I don't think it will take her too long to secure an important, powerful husband and fight off any catty, ne'er do wells. She can do that in three or four chapters time.

Ye. Still, that is much less rushed than 'sell Sansa out to a psychotic enemy to somehow get revenge on them'.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Proud Falseness - Just like how Cersei smugly recounts all the ways she's lied to people and thinks she's the height of cunning, so does David Benioff. He outright revelled in the fact that he has no screenwriting qualifications (which explains his remark about themes being for eighth grade book reports) and how he tricked GRRM into thinking he had a screenwriting degree. This is not something to be proud of, Benioff, this is something you should be hiding in shame over.

I don't know what "outright revelled" means because you've probably seen more behind the scenes videos with him than I have, but the bolded part is absolutely not true.  I am certainly not the biggest David Benioff fan and in another thread recently I defended those who would compare the quality of the writing in later seasons to fan fiction, but to say Benioff is not qualified is just factually not correct.   He wrote the novel and screenplay for 25th Hour, he wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine (it's not good but it's still a major motion picture), he wrote Troy, he wrote The Kite Runner, he wrote Brothers (which was also an adaptation), etc.  He also wrote a book that I have not personally read but have heard from a reliable source is good, City of Thieves.  Whether his career in writing is thanks to nepotism or not, he is plenty qualified in this area.  I don't know about the part where he tricked George into thinking he had a screenwriting degree, I'm not sure a screenwriting degree is even a thing.  What's the source? 

6 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I don't know what "outright revelled" means because you've probably seen more behind the scenes videos with him than I have, but the bolded part is absolutely not true.  I am certainly not the biggest David Benioff fan and in another thread recently I defended those who would compare the quality of the writing in later seasons to fan fiction, but to say Benioff is not qualified is just factually not correct.   He wrote the novel and screenplay for 25th Hour, he wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine (it's not good but it's still a major motion picture), he wrote Troy, he wrote The Kite Runner, he wrote Brothers (which was also an adaptation), etc.  He also wrote a book that I have not personally read but have heard from a reliable source is good, City of Thieves.  Whether his career in writing is thanks to nepotism or not, he is plenty qualified in this area.  I don't know about the part where he tricked George into thinking he had a screenwriting degree, I'm not sure a screenwriting degree is even a thing.  What's the source? 

What I mean by no screenwriting qualifications is no formal training. As in, he lied about having a screenwriting degree. Yes, he wrote Troy, X Men Origins, and whatnot, but that doesn't take away from the fact he told GRRM he had a screenwriting degree when he didn't, and seems to hold formal qualifications with contempt, given his bitterness against eighth grade book reports.

As for when, he fucking tweeted about his lie. He was that proud of it.

As for screenwriting degrees, yes, they're a thing. Here's just one site of many pointing to universities that do them: https://www.bachelorstudies.com/BA/Screenwriting/

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

What I mean by no screenwriting qualifications is no formal training. As in, he lied about having a screenwriting degree. Yes, he wrote Troy, X Men Origins, and whatnot, but that doesn't take away from the fact he told GRRM he had a screenwriting degree when he didn't, and seems to hold formal qualifications with contempt, given his bitterness against eighth grade book reports.

As for screenwriting degrees, yes, they're a thing. Here's just one site of many pointing to universities that do them: https://www.bachelorstudies.com/BA/Screenwriting/

Benioff has a Doctorate in bullshit.

10 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I don’t really use Twitter so I’ll take your word for it.  Semantics I know but qualifications and formal training aren’t interchangeable terms.  Whatever else Benioff is he is at least a legitimate writer.  Honestly besides 25th Hour and parts of Troy I haven’t cared for his body of work, and George agreed to let him and Weiss do the show knowing what he’d written prior.  If not it was poor planning on George’s part.    

16 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I don’t really use Twitter so I’ll take your word for it.  Semantics I know but qualifications and formal training aren’t interchangeable terms.  Whatever else Benioff is he is at least a legitimate writer.  Honestly besides 25th Hour and parts of Troy I haven’t cared for his body of work, and George agreed to let him and Weiss do the show knowing what he’d written prior.  If not it was poor planning on George’s part.    

I wouldn't mind if he, you know, didn't claim to have a screenwriting degree. If he was like 'yeah, I have these under my belt', that would be fine. Plenty of writers don't have official qualifications. It was the fact he felt the need to lie about this shit that makes him a scumbag.

40 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I wouldn't mind if he, you know, didn't claim to have a screenwriting degree. If he was like 'yeah, I have these under my belt', that would be fine. Plenty of writers don't have official qualifications. It was the fact he felt the need to lie about this shit that makes him a scumbag.

Apparently he does have an MFA in creative writing, which if the program he went through is anything like the creative writing program at my school (Full Sail University) then it isn’t much of a stretch to say a degree in screenwriting.  But I do agree, embellishing is embellishing any way you slice it and if he did deliberately lie to George about what exactly his degree was in to manipulate him into going along with the adaptation then it was certainly a scummy move.    

https://www.google.com/amp/s/upclosed.com/people/david-benioff/amp/

"For many years. Most of my life, really. Play with her arse. And she loved me, too..."

Aren't you just fascinated with the pure genius of these two deities of television?

The last two posts just made me miss one of the few positive changes the Ds made.  Ros's destruction was a crying moment for me.  Mostly because she was immensely fun to look at, but she also seemed to know how to act.

Probably for the best though.  Had she stuck around I suppose she would have slowly gotten worse just like the rest of the rotting fruit populating the show.

19 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

The last two posts just made me miss one of the few positive changes the Ds made.  Ros's destruction was a crying moment for me.  Mostly because she was immensely fun to look at, but she also seemed to know how to act.

Probably for the best though.  Had she stuck around I suppose she would have slowly gotten worse just like the rest of the rotting fruit populating the show.

Ros's death is actually a retroactive point of condemnation, because it turns out Ros got the meaty storyline because D&D liked her actress nude. When the actress said 'if you're gonna make me prominent, I'd like a decent storyline in Season 3, but no more nude scenes'.

In response, D&D said 'No more nude scenes, eh? Well fuck you, we're going to unceremoniously kill you off and have the camera indulgently pan over your corpse's tits'.

Paraphrasing, but yes, that's why Ros had the overly sexualised death you see in Season 3. They've been spiteful weasels for ages.

1 hour ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Ros's death is actually a retroactive point of condemnation, because it turns out Ros got the meaty storyline because D&D liked her actress nude. When the actress said 'if you're gonna make me prominent, I'd like a decent storyline in Season 3, but no more nude scenes'.

In response, D&D said 'No more nude scenes, eh? Well fuck you, we're going to unceremoniously kill you off and have the camera indulgently pan over your corpse's tits'.

Paraphrasing, but yes, that's why Ros had the overly sexualised death you see in Season 3. They've been spiteful weasels for ages.

I had heard that story and it's just one more reason I think those two have no business running a show at all.  Why HBO didn't catch their spiteful little digs at the actors that were actually trying to do a good job for them and toss them off the program is beyond me.  That must have been one of the most shitty contract negotiations in all of Hollywood history to give them zero power to stop the trainwreck even as they saw it coming.  HBO had stated for nearly three full seasons they were continually trying to talk them into doing more episodes, or even more seasons, because they knew the show was starting to feel cramped.  Absolutely stupid to let it go down this way and destroy the legacy of their most prominent current property.

29 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I had heard that story and it's just one more reason I think those two have no business running a show at all.  Why HBO didn't catch their spiteful little digs at the actors that were actually trying to do a good job for them and toss them off the program is beyond me.  That must have been one of the most shitty contract negotiations in all of Hollywood history to give them zero power to stop the trainwreck even as they saw it coming.  HBO had stated for nearly three full seasons they were continually trying to talk them into doing more episodes, or even more seasons, because they knew the show was starting to feel cramped.  Absolutely stupid to let it go down this way and destroy the legacy of their most prominent current property.

Ultimately, D&D could have negotiated for a safe full of golden coins to swim in and they'd have got it; HBO was convinced they were their golden goose (and given GoT's popularity, it's an understandable business decision). As such, if their golden goose says 'we need unlimited power to oppress the actors, it's, uh, for artistic integrity', I reckon HBO would have said yes.

A similar thing happened to JK 'Just Kidding about every previous instance of worldbuilding' Rowling; she's Warner Bros' golden goose, and was given unlimited creative control over Crimes of Grindelwald. And we all know how that turned out. When artists have no editors or screenwriters or actors to bounce off of and limit their worse impulses, they soon go mad with power and start to drink their own coolade.

Archived