The Best Fighters in the Series

RYShh

Now the series have concluded, we can list all the best fighters we've seen so far. It's hard to rank one over another, so this is my top 40 list;

40-) Ser Mandon Moore

One of the kingsguards from King's Landing. He betrayed Tyrion and cut his face during the Battle of Blackwater, then Podrick killed him with a sneak attack from behind.

39-) Lord Ramsay Bolton

He kills several Baratheon men in the Battle of Winterfell, successfully captures Theon and intimidates and brain washes him turns him into the Reek, survives an attack from Yara Greyjoy and her best ironborn killers and he forces them to escape. He is very quick with a knife as he killed Roose Bolton without even him realizing Ramsay. He is also a skilled bowman.

38-) Syrio Forel (wooden sword)

- Syrio: ''The first sword of Braavos does not run.'' (S01E08) 

First sword of Braavos, skilled enough to beat 5 Lannister soldiers with a wooden sword, although loses to Meryn Trant due to not having a real sword and Trant's steel armor, though thanks to Syrio, Arya still managed to escape from the Lannisters.

37-) Ser Meryn Trant

Another kingsguard from King's Landing, he killed Syrio Forel by using the advantage of having an armor and a real sword.

36-) Ser Podrick Payne

He gets better and becomes a skilled fighter thanks to Brienne's training, kills one of the Bolton men in a single combat when Brienne rescued Sansa from the Boltons and survived the Great War against the army of the dead, and he has become one of the Kingsguards of King Bran the Broken.

35-) Yoren

A skilled fighter from the Night's Watch, kills 3 Lannister soldiers single handedly before he loses.

34-) King Euron Greyjoy

- Euron: ''Another king for you. But I got you! I got you! [PANTING] I'm the man who killed Jaime Lannister.'' (S08E05)

Euron was a talented killer as he managed to kill Balon Greyjoy by throwing him out of the bridge despite getting a wound on his face, and he killed the Sand Snakes and captured Yara Greyjoy in combat, managed to kill one of Daenerys's Dragons by using the Ballista scorpion arrows, then fought against one-handed Jaime with only a knife, though he loses to Jaime he also mortally wounded Jaime in return. 

33-) Jory Cassel

Although we didn't hear anything about his sword skills, he was the captain of Stark soldiers in the King's Landing, and he managed to kill 2 Lannister soldiers quickly before he encountered with Jaime Lannister.

32-) Ser Alliser Thorne

- Jon: ''Ser Alliser. You have more experience than any other ranger at Castle Black. You proved your valor many times over while defending the Wall from the wildling attack. I name you First Ranger.'' (S05E03) 

Appointed as the master at arms in the NW, and then appointed as the first ranger, he fought in the Battle of Castle Black and defeated several wildlings until he lost a fight to Tormund Giantsbane.

31-) Ser Gerold Hightower

He was the Lord commander of the Aerys's Kingsguard. Even when they were outnumbered against the Northmen (6 vs. 2), he managed to kill one of Eddard's men before he dies.

30-) Ser Rodrik Cassel

- Tyrion: ''It's a lucky thing none of them were trained by a master-at-arms like your Ser Rodrik.'' (S01E03)

Rodrik was a veteran fighter, survived the attack of hill tribes alongside with Bronn, he trained Robb and Jon. 

29-) Prince Rhaegar Targaryen

- Daenerys: ''He told me Rhaegar was good at killing people.'' (S05E04)

According to Viserys, and Barristan, Rhaegar was talented at killing people, although he never liked it.

28-) Thoros of Myr

- Jorah: ''The Ironborn thought you were some kind of god. The way you were waving that flaming sword. I thought you were the bravest man I ever saw.'' (S07E06)

Thoros is a veteran fighter who survived many battles such as the Siege of Pyke. Just like Beric, he uses a flaming sword in battles.

27-) Ser Beric Dondarrion

Ser Beric is also a veteran fighter, and the champion of the Brotherhood without Banners. Fought well against the Hound in a single combat by using a flaming sword, although he still loses to him. Survived the raid beyond the Wall and they captured a Wight. Later he saved Arya from the army of the dead in the Great War, and he sacrificed himself for her.

26-) Ser Jorah Mormont

A veteran fighter who survived many battles such as the Siege of Pyke, and defeated Khal Drogo's bloodrider Qotho in a single combat (with the help of his armor), survived the fighting pits in Meereen.

25-) Magnar of Thenn Styr

Styr was a Magnar (Lord) of Thenn (cannibals), he killed several NW soldiers in the Battle of Castle Black, and managed to disarm Jon Snow in a single combat, although he still lost the fight to Jon later.

24-) Karl Tanner

- Karl: ''They told me a man's name and that man never saw daylight again. None of them cocksuckers got away from me. Haven't lost a fight since I was nine. Maybe it's time. What do you think, eh? Maybe you're the man. Eh, cunt?'' Rast: ''I wouldn't stand a chance. None of us would.''  Karl: ''I was a fucking legend in Gin Alley. '' (S04E04)

- Grenn: ''Karl was a top paid cutthroat in Flea Bottom. I've seen what he can do with a knife.'' (S04E05)

He was skilled enough to kill Craster in a one quick move, killed several NW soldiers with ease, almost defeated Jon Snow too if Jon didn't get help.

23-) Benjen Stark

Appointed as the First Ranger in NW, and kills numerous Wights beyond the wall and saves Bran (S06E06), and saves Jon Snow from the army of the dead (S07E06).

22-) Grey Worm

He is skilled enough to be the captain of Unsullied, and he survives an ambush from the sons of harpy due to his fighting skills.

21-) Ser Loras Tyrell

- Rennick: ''Loras Tyrell. He's prettier than the Queen.''  Lannister guard: ''I don't care about pretty. He's better with a sword than any of them.'' (S02E04)

Loras Tyrell is considered to be one of the best swordsman in the seven kingdoms. Although he loses to the Mountain when he attacked him after the tournament and then he lost to Brienne of Tarth later, he still should be skilled enough on this list.

20-) Waif

Another Faceless men, very skilled assassin.

19-) Lord Smalljon Umber

- Smalljon: ''Wildlings come down, we always have to fight them first. I like fighting wildlings. Been doing it all my life. '' (S06E03)

He killed several wildlings in the Battle of Bastards, and almost defeated Tormund Giantsbane in a single combat until he has been distracted by the Knights of the Vale.

18-) Tormund Giantsbane

- Tormund: ''They call me "Giantsbane. " Want to know why? I killed a giant when I was 10. Then I climbed right into bed with his wife. When she woke up, you know what she did? Suckled me at her teat for three months. Thought I was her baby. That's how I got so strong. Giant's milk.'' (S08E02)

He was skilled enough to be the leader of the Free Folk fighters, and he killed several Night's Watch soldiers and defeated Ser Alliser Thorne in a single combat, he survived the Battle of Bastards, and the raid beyond the Wall when they went to capture a Wight.

17-) Khal Drogo

- Viserys: ''Do you see how long his hair is? When Dothraki are defeated in combat they cut off their braid so the whole world can see their shame. Khal Drogo has never been defeated. He's a savage, of course, but he's one of the finest killers alive. '' (S01E01)

Drogo as one of the Khals in Essos, was one of the best fighters, he defeated a Dothraki rider Mago without even using his arakh, although he took a wound on his chest because of his overconfidence.

16-) Daario Naharis

- Jorah: ''Daario Naharis killed his captains and dumped their heads at your feet when he grew tired of their commands.'' (S04E07)

Daario was a skilled fighter and he was a famous killer in the fighting pits in Essos.

15-) Ser Bronn of the Blackwater

Bronn survived the attack from the Hill tribes and killed several of their clan members, then defeated Ser Vardis in a single combat, he survived the Battle of the Green Fork in the vanguard against the Northmen, and he survived the Battle of Blackwater against Stannis where he is knighted. He managed to kill 3 Dornish guards when he and Jaime went to Dorne. He also managed to shoot one of Daenerys's Dragons by using a ballista scorpion arrow in the Battle of Goldroad.

14-) King Stannis Baratheon

Leads an attack to the King's Landing in the vanguard, and survived the Battle of Blackwater despite losing it, fights in the vanguard in the Battle of Winterfell against the Boltons and almost survived it, even after getting wounded he kills 2 Bolton soldiers single handedly, and when he couldn't fight any more Brienne executes him for killing Renly.

13-) Lord Eddard Stark

- Barristan Selmy: ''You're too modest. I've seen you cut down a dozen great knights.'' (S01E05)

Eddard Stark killed one of Aerys's Kingsguards Gerold Hightower at the Tower of Joy, and killed 2 Lannister soldiers at the King's Landing before fighting with Jaime Lannister, and they evenly matched with Jaime Lannister until one of the Jaime's men interfered with a spear.

12-) King Robb Stark

- Jon Snow: ''I was jealous of Robb my whole life. The way my father looked at him, I wanted that. He was better than me at everything-- fighting and hunting and riding and girls. Gods, the girls loved him. I wanted to hate him, but I never could.'' (S04E01)

- Tywin Lannister: ''And what do they say of Robb Stark in the North?''  Arya Stark: ''They say he rides into battle on the back of a giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.'' (S02E05)

- Sansa Stark: ''Of course you'll be in the vanguard. They say my brother Robb always goes where the fighting is thickest.'' (S02E09)

Robb quickly killed 2 wildlings single handedly and captured another (S01E06) and survived a lot of battles against the Lannister armies, and it has been stated that Robb always fought in the vanguard.

11-) King Jon Snow

- Ramsay Bolton: ''I keep hearing stories about you, bastard. The way people in the North talk about you, you're the greatest swordsman who ever walked.'' (S06E09)

- Tormund : ''He's little, but he's strong. Strong enough to befriend an enemy and get murdered for it! Most people get bloody murdered, they stay that way. Not this one. He comes back and keeps fighting. Here, north of the Wall, and then back here again. He keeps fighting. He keeps fighting. He climbed on a fucking dragon and fought. What kind of person climbs on a fucking dragon? A madman or a king!'' (S08E04) 

Jon Snow killed 2 White Walkers, and Karl Tanner (although with a help), defeated Magnar of Thenn Styr, and Ramsay Bolton in a single combat. Survived the Battle of Bastards in the vanguard, survived the Raid beyond the Wall and they captured a wight before they get surrounded by Night King's dead army, survived the Great War against the White Walkers, and he killed 8 Lannister soldiers in the King's Landing even when he was trying to stop the fighting and protect himself only.

10-) The Mountain Gregor Clegane

- Ser Bronn: ''I'd be a bloody fool if he didn't frighten me. He's freakish big and freakish strong. And quicker than you'd expect for a man of that size. Maybe I could take him, dance around until he's so tired of hacking at me, he dropped his sword, get him off his feet somehow. But one misstep and I'm dead. Why should I risk it? .'' (S04E07)

As Bronn said, the Mountain is incredibly strong and big, and quicker than people would expect, he was going to kill Loras Tyrell easily if not for the Hound, and he killed Prince Oberyn.

9-) Prince Oberyn Martell

Oberyn was a skilled fighter, known as Red Viper, and he fought in the fighting pits of Meereen, almost defeated the Mountain in a single combat, stabbed him many times with his spear, although loses to him in the end to due his overconfidence.

8-) King Robert Baratheon

- Joffrey: ''My father won the real war. He killed Prince Rhaegar. He took the crown while you hid under Casterly Rock!''  (S03E10)

According to several sources in the show, Robert was a great fighter in his prime. Fought in the vanguard in the battles against the Targaryens, and defeated Prince Rhaegar in a single combat with his warhammer.

7-) Ser Jaime Lannister (two handed)

- Theon: ''Kill him, Robb. Send his head to his father. - He cut down ten of our men. You saw him.'' (S01E09)

- Robb: ''lf we do it your way, Kingslayer you'd win. We're not doing it your way.'' (S01E09)

- Euron: ''I remember very well. I saw you. I heard so much talk. The best in the world. No one can stop him. I didn't believe it, to be honesty. But I must say, when you rushed through the breach and started cutting people down... it was glorious. Like a dance.'' (S07E01)

- Jaime: ''If you had armed me, they never would have taken us.''  Brienne: ''You were armed when we were taken.''  Jaime: ''I was in chains if you recall. Our little match would have ended quite quick if my hands weren't bound.''  Brienne: ''All my life I've been hearing, Jaime Lannister, what a brilliant swordsman. You were slower than I expected. And more predictable.''  Jaime: ''I've been sitting in a muddy pen wrapped in chains for the past year.'' (S03E03)

He was one of the best when he had two hands, he has only one defeat against Brienne but he was at a disadvantage due to being in chains and being out of form for almost one year. Even after losing his sword hand, he was a capable fighter, he survived the Great War against the Night King by helping Brienne and he even managed to kill Euron Greyjoy in a single combat, although took heavy wounds in return.

6-) The Hound Sandor Clegane

- Littlefinger: ''No, please don't. If the Hound so much as heard you mention it, I'm afraid all the knights in King's Landing would not be able to save you.'' (S01E04)

He saved Loras Tyrell from the Mountain, kills 3 Frey soldiers single handedly (S03E10), kills 4 Lannister soldiers single handedly (S04E01), kills 4 of Cersei Queensguard (S08E05), and defeats his brother the Mountain and disarms him in a single combat, however couldn't kill him without sacrificing himself due to Qyburn turning the Mountain into a zombie.

5-) Arya Stark

After her training under Jaqen H'ghar, she becomes a Faceless men, she kills another Faceless men Waif in a single combat, and killed numerous Wights in the Great War, and evenly matched with Brienne in a single combat, and she even managed to kill the Night King with a sneak attack.

4-) Ser Brienne Tarth

Defeated Ser Loras Tyrell in a single combat, defeated 2 of Renly's Kingsguards when they wrongly believed Brienne killed Renly, she defeated 3 Stark soldiers single handedly, defeated Jaime Lannister in a single combat (although Jaime had disadvantages in that fight), and she defeated the Hound in a single combat. She rescued Sansa from 4 Bolton soldiers, and she survived the Great War against the Night King where she fought in the vanguard.

3-) Jaqen H'ghar

- Jaqen: ''To be a dancing master is a special thing, but to be a faceless man, that is something else entirely. '' (S02E10)

As a Faceless men, he was an extremely skilled fighter, he instantly killed Ser Amory Lorch and he taught Waif and Arya how to fight.

2-) Ser Barristan Selmy

- Eddard Stark: ''My father once told me you were the best he'd ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat.'' (S01E05)

- Jaime Lannister: ''He was A painter. A painter who only used red. I couldn't imagine being able to fight like that, not back then. And to help him do that, to be a part of something that perfect. I don't need to explain how that felt, not to you. It's like stepping into a dream you've been dreaming for as long as you can remember, and finding out that the dream is more real than your life. Leaving that battlefield was like being dragged off to prison.'' (S02E07)

He was the best according to Rickard Stark and Jaime Lannister. He saves Daenerys from an assassination attempt and he saves Grey Worm from the sons of the Harpy.

1-) Ser Arthur Dayne

- Joffrey: ''Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning... led the attack on the Kingswood Brotherhood. Defeated the Smiling Knight in single combat.'' (S04E01)

- Bran: ''Ser Arthur Dayne. Father said he was the best swordsman he ever saw.'' (S06E03)

Perhaps the best, certainly rivals Barristan Selmy. He wounded Howland Reed and killed 3 of Eddard Stark's men single handedly and then defeated Eddard Stark as well, almost win against 4 v 1, only defeated by a sneak attack from behind by Howland Reed.

Yeah, this question is very difficult to answer. There are so many swordsmen that are praised and we haven't see all of them personally. Being a good fighter is not that rare. We also know that winning or losing a single fight is a lot about luck and not an absolute value.

All the educated and trained knights or almost-knights like Brienne, Jorah, Selmy, Jaime, The Hound are certainly excellent swordsmen. A ranking is impossible. We know Brienne was at least on par with the Hound, even if her victory was maybe a bit lucky. We see Robb and Jon fight well and they are probably on par, too, with the others. 

There are different kinds of "good fighter", some with swords, some arakhs, some with pikes. Difficult to compare.

The Bravosi water dance is a completely different style, again difficult to compare. Forel was certainly way better than Arya but she was well enough to surprise Brienne while sparring. 

If we are judging them based on sword fighting skills, I would say a tie between Arthur Danyne, Brienne, Jaime, Jon and Barristan. We haven't seen any of them fight the other in peak form, so we cannot know. I am hesitant to add Jon to the list, since his opponents weren't known to be good sword fighters, but in the show verse, he seems very capable.

15 hours ago, RYShh said:

How would you guys rank these fighters?

A very insightful thread and great question. I personally believe it is not simply a matter of fighting ability or strength, but that temperament is also a factor we should consider. 

I feel that a good fighter is a good balance of temperament, discipline and all around strength/skill. Thus, I would put Dayne, Selmy and Jon at the top. The fact that Dayne was qualified to be the Sword of the Morning is a testament to his unrivaled skill (a title based on merit and not merely bloodline). Moreover, he had this cool detached demeanor which I feel is a great mark of professionalism. In the TOJ scene, right after everyone else had fallen and it was between Ned and Dayne, Dayne gave Ned a determined cold rage stare that while subtle, felt scarier than the Mountain's scowl, and hints that he efficiently channels his anger and determination through his skill. 

Imo, a lot of the other heavy weights are deficient on the discipline and emotional side. For example Gregor/Ramsay are just a psycho brutes, Sandor is too traumatized, Oberyn/Daario are too showy, Jorah  too lovestruck  and Bronn got real greedy. I might tie Rhaegar with Robert in terms of skill, but I feel both have not  the good temperament of Dayne, Selmy or Jon.  Umber and Tormund are too sides of the same barbarian coin imo.

Brienne is a tough one to rank. She beat the Hound, but she had valyrian sword and the Hound was probably ill with that infected neck cut.  She's probably on par with two handed Jaime (at least in the books) but Jaime was still inferior to Dayne. Moreover, Jaime is too much of a gambler.  

Syrio Forel is obviously skilled, but the fact he does not pick up a Lannister westerosi sword could imply that his fighting style is limited to what we might called fencing. Stannis survived the initial Bolton charge, but he did have his dissolving army to provide some cover for him, and most of the people he killed were grunts. Grey Worm is Unsullied, which is more elite battle droid than individual warrior. The Facelessmen are fast, disguised and crafty, but they might not always be able to hold their own in an one on one duel, which may be why Jaquen was captured in his first scene.  Drogo is a top warrior, but he was son of a Khal. So his dad might have already been mighty and he sort of inherited most of what is his, and just capitalized on the power to extort free cities and sack villages. Its very easy to be undefeated when you simply pick on the weak and merchants who would rather throw money at problems.

Thus, I think Dayne is the top all round good fighter with the skill, discipline, loyalty, cold efficient rage and emotional control that makes a great fighter. Moreover, his sword was probably the best in the world,  better than valyrian steel.

@Br16 @Kajjo @Daemon The Black Dragon @Apoplexy

If I have to rank them this is my list, the reason why Karl Tanner (despite being a frigging legend in the Gin Alley) is lower than Jon Snow, is because he had an advantage in the close quarter fight, and using a knife is better in close quarter and Jon had a disadvantage due to that,

As Oberyn said ; ''Longsword is a bad option in close quarters.'' (S04E01)

And plus Karl Tanner used dirty tactics like (spitting on his face) to gain advantage against Jon, so in a battle or in a normal circumstances Jon is a better fighter than Karl imo.

As for the Faceless men, I think we can put Jaqen and Arya over Waif (since Waif lost to a wounded Arya) and we've seen that Arya is around Brienne's level. Syrio probably would rank much higher if he had a real braavosi sword instead of wooden sword we could see him beating Meryn Trant at least.

8 hours ago, RYShh said:

1-) Ser Arthur Dayne

2-) Ser Barristan Selmy

3-) Jaqen H'ghar

4-) Ser Brienne Tarth

5-) Arya Stark

6-) The Hound

10-) The Mountain

11-) King Jon Snow

12-) King Robb Stark

13-) Lord Eddard Stark

15-) Ser Bronn of Blackwater

16-) Daario Naharis

17-) Khal Drogo

18-) Tormund Giantsbane

19-) Lord Smaljon Umber

20-) Waif

21-) Ser Loras Tyrell

22- ) Ser Rodrik Cassel

23-) Grey Worm

24-) Benjen Stark

25-) Jory Cassel

26-) Karl Tanner

27-) Styr the Magnar of Thenn

28-) Ser Jorah Mormont

29-) Ser Beric Dondarrion

30-) Thoros of Myr

31-) Prince Rhaegar Targaryen

32-) Ser Gerold Hightower

33-) Ser Alliser Thorne 

34-) King Euron Greyjoy

35-) Ser Podrick Payne

36-) Ser Meryn Trant

37-) Syrio Forel (wooden sword)

38-) Lord Ramsay Bolton

@Br16 @Kajjo @Daemon The Black Dragon @Apoplexy

I think this is a fair ranking, good that we all agree with Dayne and Selmy being at the top. 

6 hours ago, Br16 said:

I think this is a fair ranking, good that we all agree with Dayne and Selmy being at the top. 

Yeah, if we didn't see Arya vs. Brienne, I would say Faceless men ranks over any other fighter but even when Brienne wasn't using her valyrian steel sword and while Arya was using her needle and valyrian steel knife, Brienne didn't lose to her. Since Arthur and Selmy should rank higher than Brienne, I think they can take the Faceless men as well, even Jaqen H'ghar.

@Kaapstad what's your opinion about this list?

It varies from plot armour point to plot armour point. Ranking them in a Dragonball Z-style power level chart feels pretty hollow. For example, Shirtless Ramsay kills several Ironborn in single combat, adjusts to chaos well, and is in general... well, good at fighting. Which D&D point out as making him 'more heroic' than Joffrey. For some reason.

Anyway, idiotic writing aside, Shirt-wearing Ramsay, in contrast to his shirtless cousin, loses spectacularly in single combat against Jon Snow. Not out of any particular skill or swordsmanship on Jon's part; he runs up with a shield, Ramsay idiotically keeps shooting into the shield, then he gets unceremoniously beaten down.

And pretty much every character that has been in more than one fight is like this. There's no point looking for consistency in Weisseroff.

11 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

It varies from plot armour point to plot armour point. Ranking them in a Dragonball Z-style power level chart feels pretty hollow. For example, Shirtless Ramsay kills several Ironborn in single combat, adjusts to chaos well, and is in general... well, good at fighting. Which D&D point out as making him 'more heroic' than Joffrey. For some reason.

Anyway, idiotic writing aside, Shirt-wearing Ramsay, in contrast to his shirtless cousin, loses spectacularly in single combat against Jon Snow. Not out of any particular skill or swordsmanship on Jon's part; he runs up with a shield, Ramsay idiotically keeps shooting into the shield, then he gets unceremoniously beaten down.

And pretty much every character that has been in more than one fight is like this. There's no point looking for consistency in Weisseroff.

I agree, but we also need to consider the territorial advantages/disadvantages in these fights, as Oberyn said; ''Longsword is a bad option in close quarters.'' (S04E01)

I think this is the reason why Ramsay performed better against Ironborn fighters, they were fighting in a narrow corridor, there wasn't much open space left, so I guess Ramsay is a specialist when it comes to using a knife so he can perform better in a close quarter. As well as Karl Tanner, who managed to beat Jon by using dirty tactics and knives in a tight corner.

So any guy who's carried even a single blow with a sword/axe/dagger at any point in the series is now a "top fighter"?  Even thugs like Meryn "fucking" Trant and Mandon Moore who would never have the guts to face anyone in a fair fight?

Not to mention the fact that without a specific context all this makes little sense. SmallJon Umber stuck in an alley with his huge sword wouldn't be better than Karl Tanner on a horseman's battlefield...

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

To be fair, Mandon Moore is pretty good. He and Balon Swann were deadly during the Blackwater, as Tyrion personally witnessed.

Ouch, I must rewatch the Blackwater episode then, or at least the battle…

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, RYShh said:

Now the series have concluded, we can list all the best fighters we've seen so far. It's hard to rank one over another, so this is my top 40 list;

40-) Ser Mandon Moore

One of the kingsguards from King's Landing. He betrayed Tyrion and cut his face during the Battle of Blackwater, then Podrick killed him with a sneak attack from behind.

39-) Lord Ramsay Bolton

He kills several Baratheon men in the Battle of Winterfell, successfully captures Theon and intimidates and brain washes him turns him into the Reek, survives an attack from Yara Greyjoy and her best ironborn killers and he forces them to escape. He is very quick with a knife as he killed Roose Bolton without even him realizing Ramsay. He is also a skilled bowman.

38-) Syrio Forel (wooden sword)

- Syrio: ''The first sword of Braavos does not run.'' (S01E08) 

First sword of Braavos, skilled enough to beat 5 Lannister soldiers with a wooden sword, although loses to Meryn Trant due to not having a real sword and Trant's steel armor, though thanks to Syrio, Arya still managed to escape from the Lannisters.

37-) Ser Meryn Trant

Another kingsguard from King's Landing, he killed Syrio Forel by using the advantage of having an armor and a real sword.

36-) Ser Podrick Payne

He gets better and becomes a skilled fighter thanks to Brienne's training, kills one of the Bolton men in a single combat when Brienne rescued Sansa from the Boltons and survived the Great War against the army of the dead, and he has become one of the Kingsguards of King Bran the Broken.

35-) Yoren

A skilled fighter from the Night's Watch, kills 3 Lannister soldiers single handedly before he loses.

34-) King Euron Greyjoy

- Euron: ''Another king for you. But I got you! I got you! [PANTING] I'm the man who killed Jaime Lannister.'' (S08E05)

Euron was a talented killer as he managed to kill Balon Greyjoy by throwing him out of the bridge despite getting a wound on his face, and he killed the Sand Snakes and captured Yara Greyjoy in combat, managed to kill one of Daenerys's Dragons by using the Ballista scorpion arrows, then fought against one-handed Jaime with only a knife, though he loses to Jaime he also mortally wounded Jaime in return. 

33-) Jory Cassel

Although we didn't hear anything about his sword skills, he was the captain of Stark soldiers in the King's Landing, and he managed to kill 2 Lannister soldiers quickly before he encountered with Jaime Lannister.

32-) Ser Alliser Thorne

- Jon: ''Ser Alliser. You have more experience than any other ranger at Castle Black. You proved your valor many times over while defending the Wall from the wildling attack. I name you First Ranger.'' (S05E03) 

Appointed as the master at arms in the NW, and then appointed as the first ranger, he fought in the Battle of Castle Black and defeated several wildlings until he lost a fight to Tormund Giantsbane.

31-) Ser Gerold Hightower

He was the Lord commander of the Aerys's Kingsguard. Even when they were outnumbered against the Northmen (6 vs. 2), he managed to kill one of Eddard's men before he dies.

30-) Ser Rodrik Cassel

- Tyrion: ''It's a lucky thing none of them were trained by a master-at-arms like your Ser Rodrik.'' (S01E03)

Rodrik was a veteran fighter, survived the attack of hill tribes alongside with Bronn, he trained Robb and Jon. 

29-) Prince Rhaegar Targaryen

- Daenerys: ''He told me Rhaegar was good at killing people.'' (S05E04)

According to Viserys, and Barristan, Rhaegar was talented at killing people, although he never liked it.

28-) Thoros of Myr

- Jorah: ''The Ironborn thought you were some kind of god. The way you were waving that flaming sword. I thought you were the bravest man I ever saw.'' (S07E06)

Thoros is a veteran fighter who survived many battles such as the Siege of Pyke. Just like Beric, he uses a flaming sword in battles.

27-) Ser Beric Dondarrion

Ser Beric is also a veteran fighter, and the champion of the Brotherhood without Banners. Fought well against the Hound in a single combat by using a flaming sword, although he still loses to him. Survived the raid beyond the Wall and they captured a Wight. Later he saved Arya from the army of the dead in the Great War, and he sacrificed himself for her.

26-) Ser Jorah Mormont

A veteran fighter who survived many battles such as the Siege of Pyke, and defeated Khal Drogo's bloodrider Qotho in a single combat (with the help of his armor), survived the fighting pits in Meereen.

25-) Magnar of Thenn Styr

Styr was a Magnar (Lord) of Thenn (cannibals), he killed several NW soldiers in the Battle of Castle Black, and managed to disarm Jon Snow in a single combat, although he still lost the fight to Jon later.

24-) Karl Tanner

- Karl: ''They told me a man's name and that man never saw daylight again. None of them cocksuckers got away from me. Haven't lost a fight since I was nine. Maybe it's time. What do you think, eh? Maybe you're the man. Eh, cunt?'' Rast: ''I wouldn't stand a chance. None of us would.''  Karl: ''I was a fucking legend in Gin Alley. '' (S04E04)

- Grenn: ''Karl was a top paid cutthroat in Flea Bottom. I've seen what he can do with a knife.'' (S04E05)

He was skilled enough to kill Craster in a one quick move, killed several NW soldiers with ease, almost defeated Jon Snow too if Jon didn't get help.

23-) Benjen Stark

Appointed as the First Ranger in NW, and kills numerous Wights beyond the wall and saves Bran (S06E06), and saves Jon Snow from the army of the dead (S07E06).

22-) Grey Worm

He is skilled enough to be the captain of Unsullied, and he survives an ambush from the sons of harpy due to his fighting skills.

21-) Ser Loras Tyrell

- Rennick: ''Loras Tyrell. He's prettier than the Queen.''  Lannister guard: ''I don't care about pretty. He's better with a sword than any of them.'' (S02E04)

Loras Tyrell is considered to be one of the best swordsman in the seven kingdoms. Although he loses to the Mountain when he attacked him after the tournament and then he lost to Brienne of Tarth later, he still should be skilled enough on this list.

20-) Waif

Another Faceless men, very skilled assassin.

19-) Lord Smalljon Umber

- Smalljon: ''Wildlings come down, we always have to fight them first. I like fighting wildlings. Been doing it all my life. '' (S06E03)

He killed several wildlings in the Battle of Bastards, and almost defeated Tormund Giantsbane in a single combat until he has been distracted by the Knights of the Vale.

18-) Tormund Giantsbane

- Tormund: ''They call me "Giantsbane. " Want to know why? I killed a giant when I was 10. Then I climbed right into bed with his wife. When she woke up, you know what she did? Suckled me at her teat for three months. Thought I was her baby. That's how I got so strong. Giant's milk.'' (S08E02)

He was skilled enough to be the leader of the Free Folk fighters, and he killed several Night's Watch soldiers and defeated Ser Alliser Thorne in a single combat, he survived the Battle of Bastards, and the raid beyond the Wall when they went to capture a Wight.

17-) Khal Drogo

- Viserys: ''Do you see how long his hair is? When Dothraki are defeated in combat they cut off their braid so the whole world can see their shame. Khal Drogo has never been defeated. He's a savage, of course, but he's one of the finest killers alive. '' (S01E01)

Drogo as one of the Khals in Essos, was one of the best fighters, he defeated a Dothraki rider Mago without even using his arakh, although he took a wound on his chest because of his overconfidence.

16-) Daario Naharis

- Jorah: ''Daario Naharis killed his captains and dumped their heads at your feet when he grew tired of their commands.'' (S04E07)

Daario was a skilled fighter and he was a famous killer in the fighting pits in Essos.

15-) Ser Bronn of the Blackwater

Bronn survived the attack from the Hill tribes and killed several of their clan members, then defeated Ser Vardis in a single combat, he survived the Battle of the Green Fork in the vanguard against the Northmen, and he survived the Battle of Blackwater against Stannis where he is knighted. He managed to kill 3 Dornish guards when he and Jaime went to Dorne. He also managed to shoot one of Daenerys's Dragons by using a ballista scorpion arrow in the Battle of Goldroad.

Leads an attack to the King's Landing in the vanguard, and survived the Battle of Blackwater despite losing it, fights in the vanguard in the Battle of Winterfell against the Boltons and almost survived it, even after getting wounded he kills 2 Bolton soldiers single handedly, and when he couldn't fight any more Brienne executes him for killing Renly.

13-) Lord Eddard Stark

- Barristan Selmy: ''You're too modest. I've seen you cut down a dozen great knights.'' (S01E05)

Eddard Stark killed one of Aerys's Kingsguards Gerold Hightower at the Tower of Joy, and killed 2 Lannister soldiers at the King's Landing before fighting with Jaime Lannister, and they evenly matched with Jaime Lannister until one of the Jaime's men interfered with a spear.

12-) King Robb Stark

- Jon Snow: ''I was jealous of Robb my whole life. The way my father looked at him, I wanted that. He was better than me at everything-- fighting and hunting and riding and girls. Gods, the girls loved him. I wanted to hate him, but I never could.'' (S04E01)

- Tywin Lannister: ''And what do they say of Robb Stark in the North?''  Arya Stark: ''They say he rides into battle on the back of a giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed.'' (S02E05)

- Sansa Stark: ''Of course you'll be in the vanguard. They say my brother Robb always goes where the fighting is thickest.'' (S02E09)

Robb quickly killed 2 wildlings single handedly and captured another (S01E06) and survived a lot of battles against the Lannister armies, and it has been stated that Robb always fought in the vanguard.

11-) King Jon Snow

- Ramsay Bolton: ''I keep hearing stories about you, bastard. The way people in the North talk about you, you're the greatest swordsman who ever walked.'' (S06E09)

- Tormund : ''He's little, but he's strong. Strong enough to befriend an enemy and get murdered for it! Most people get bloody murdered, they stay that way. Not this one. He comes back and keeps fighting. Here, north of the Wall, and then back here again. He keeps fighting. He keeps fighting. He climbed on a fucking dragon and fought. What kind of person climbs on a fucking dragon? A madman or a king!'' (S08E04) 

Jon Snow killed 2 White Walkers, and Karl Tanner (although with a help), defeated Magnar of Thenn Styr, and Ramsay Bolton in a single combat. Survived the Battle of Bastards in the vanguard, survived the Raid beyond the Wall and they captured a wight before they get surrounded by Night King's dead army, survived the Great War against the White Walkers, and he killed 8 Lannister soldiers in the King's Landing even when he was trying to stop the fighting and protect himself only.

10-) The Mountain Gregor Clegane

- Ser Bronn: ''I'd be a bloody fool if he didn't frighten me. He's freakish big and freakish strong. And quicker than you'd expect for a man of that size. Maybe I could take him, dance around until he's so tired of hacking at me, he dropped his sword, get him off his feet somehow. But one misstep and I'm dead. Why should I risk it? .'' (S04E07)

As Bronn said, the Mountain is incredibly strong and big, and quicker than people would expect, he was going to kill Loras Tyrell easily if not for the Hound, and he killed Prince Oberyn.

Oberyn was a skilled fighter, known as Red Viper, and he fought in the fighting pits of Meereen, almost defeated the Mountain in a single combat, stabbed him many times with his spear, although loses to him in the end to due his overconfidence.

- Joffrey: ''My father won the real war. He killed Prince Rhaegar. He took the crown while you hid under Casterly Rock!''  (S03E10)

According to several sources in the show, Robert was a great fighter in his prime. Fought in the vanguard in the battles against the Targaryens, and defeated Prince Rhaegar in a single combat with his warhammer.

- Theon: ''Kill him, Robb. Send his head to his father. - He cut down ten of our men. You saw him.'' (S01E09)

- Robb: ''lf we do it your way, Kingslayer you'd win. We're not doing it your way.'' (S01E09)

- Euron: ''I remember very well. I saw you. I heard so much talk. The best in the world. No one can stop him. I didn't believe it, to be honesty. But I must say, when you rushed through the breach and started cutting people down... it was glorious. Like a dance.'' (S07E01)

- Jaime: ''If you had armed me, they never would have taken us.''  Brienne: ''You were armed when we were taken.''  Jaime: ''I was in chains if you recall. Our little match would have ended quite quick if my hands weren't bound.''  Brienne: ''All my life I've been hearing, Jaime Lannister, what a brilliant swordsman. You were slower than I expected. And more predictable.''  Jaime: ''I've been sitting in a muddy pen wrapped in chains for the past year.'' (S03E03)

He was one of the best when he had two hands, he has only one defeat against Brienne but he was at a disadvantage due to being in chains and being out of form for almost one year. Even after losing his sword hand, he was a capable fighter, he survived the Great War against the Night King by helping Brienne and he even managed to kill Euron Greyjoy in a single combat, although took heavy wounds in return.

6-) The Hound Sandor Clegane

- Littlefinger: ''No, please don't. If the Hound so much as heard you mention it, I'm afraid all the knights in King's Landing would not be able to save you.'' (S01E04)

He saved Loras Tyrell from the Mountain, kills 3 Frey soldiers single handedly (S03E10), kills 4 Lannister soldiers single handedly (S04E01), kills 4 of Cersei Queensguard (S08E05), and defeats his brother the Mountain and disarms him in a single combat, however couldn't kill him without sacrificing himself due to Qyburn turning the Mountain into a zombie.

5-) Arya Stark

After her training under Jaqen H'ghar, she becomes a Faceless men, she kills another Faceless men Waif in a single combat, and killed numerous Wights in the Great War, and evenly matched with Brienne in a single combat, and she even managed to kill the Night King with a sneak attack.

4-) Ser Brienne Tarth

Defeated Ser Loras Tyrell in a single combat, defeated 2 of Renly's Kingsguards when they wrongly believed Brienne killed Renly, she defeated 3 Stark soldiers single handedly, defeated Jaime Lannister in a single combat (although Jaime had disadvantages in that fight), and she defeated the Hound in a single combat. She rescued Sansa from 4 Bolton soldiers, and she survived the Great War against the Night King where she fought in the vanguard.

3-) Jaqen H'ghar

- Jaqen: ''To be a dancing master is a special thing, but to be a faceless man, that is something else entirely. '' (S02E10)

As a Faceless men, he was an extremely skilled fighter, he instantly killed Ser Amory Lorch and he taught Waif and Arya how to fight.

2-) Ser Barristan Selmy

- Eddard Stark: ''My father once told me you were the best he'd ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat.'' (S01E05)

- Jaime Lannister: ''He was A painter. A painter who only used red. I couldn't imagine being able to fight like that, not back then. And to help him do that, to be a part of something that perfect. I don't need to explain how that felt, not to you. It's like stepping into a dream you've been dreaming for as long as you can remember, and finding out that the dream is more real than your life. Leaving that battlefield was like being dragged off to prison.'' (S02E07)

He was the best according to Rickard Stark and Jaime Lannister. He saves Daenerys from an assassination attempt and he saves Grey Worm from the sons of the Harpy.

1-) Ser Arthur Dayne

- Joffrey: ''Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning... led the attack on the Kingswood Brotherhood. Defeated the Smiling Knight in single combat.'' (S04E01)

- Bran: ''Ser Arthur Dayne. Father said he was the best swordsman he ever saw.'' (S06E03)

Perhaps the best, certainly rivals Barristan Selmy. He wounded Howland Reed and killed 3 of Eddard Stark's men single handedly and then defeated Eddard Stark as well, almost win against 4 v 1, only defeated by a sneak attack from behind by Howland Reed.

Great article, loved reading it all.  Great food for thought, and for discussion.

I could discuss this for hours over a few drinks, but here are some general thoughts:

A LOT depends on the conditions of the "fight."  For just one example, if you put The Mountain and Arya in a small room with no weapons, I don't like the odds for Arya.  In fact, they are terrible.  But put Arya and The Mountain on two different sides of a city and say "Go," and The Mountain has no chance.

The Faceless Men are real wild cards, including Arya.  H'ghar, Waif, and Arya can be absolutely devastating (indeed, unstoppable) under certain conditions, but if you put them on a field of battle in the middle of a war, facing huge guys in full armor with little room to operate, the Faceless Men are in trouble, I think (at least, compared to a lot of other people on your list).

I would have ranked 2 handed Jaime Lannister much higher, definitely above Sandor, Brienne, Jaqen and Arya (but maybe I'm being too influenced by the books; in the books, 2 handed Jaime was like a force of nature, in terms of his combination of size, strength, speed and skill.  There were some people (e.g., Hound and Mountain) bigger than Jaime, some stronger than Jaime (again, Hound and Mountain), some probably more skilled (Syrio Forel, Faceless Men), but in terms of total package, overall, in all possible fights, my top three would be:

(3) Barristan Selmy (This is a VERY close call with Jaime, though, I admit.)

(2) Jaime Lannister

(1) Arthur Dayne (I'm fine with him at No.1. By all accounts, I think, this guy was on another level, absolutely astonishing other highly accomplished fighters.)

Final Note: Again, the Faceless Men are unbeatable under certain circumstances, so that asterisk has to always be there on my Top 3 rankings.  Put Jaime and Arya on two different sides of a city and say "Go," and Jaime has no chance whatsoever, just like nearly every other character on this list, with the only possible exceptions being Jaqen and Waif, and Arya might even beat them.  Indeed, she DID beat Waif.

Archived