Jon could've chosen another path for the same conclusion

RYShh

I mean, why did he care about the people in the South? To save people and avenge the children? He cared about the North, and the North was safe. He could return to the North and let other people like Varys or Tyrion to plot against her and kill Daenerys anyway, she could destroy herself just fine. After Daenerys refusing Jon's wish to spare the Imp, all Jon needed to say ''Dany I am going out of here, you're not listening me in here anyway, I don't want any incest with my aunt in my life, and I am going to marry with a nice girl from the North and live in the Winterfell, you can do whatever you want. You can keep killing and executing people left and right. You want a lover?  I heard about Daario, call him back.'' 

Ned was going to return to North and he was going to do this to Robert when Robert wanted to kill Daenerys and her unborn child, since Ned was unlucky in the KL from beginning somehow Catelyn captures the Imp and Jaime hears it in the right moment and attacks Ned on the streets and then Ned decides to stay. Jon's role model was Ned, so he could say ''the hell with it, I am going to North'', what was Daenerys going to do? Jon was Warden of the North, was she going to say ''No, Warden of the North can't return to the North, I want you to stay here.'' and keep abusing him while he doesn't want to stay? I don't believe she could do it, or could she go that far?

If this is about mentioning Winterfell, it doesn't make sense, Sansa is right about Daenerys, but she needs to obey and shut her mouth about it, she can't plot against Daenerys, and Daenerys couldn't kill her because of not liking her, as long as they stay in the North and not plotting against Daenerys they are fine, it's not like Daenerys was going to return to the North, she wouldn't even go there, they could live without a problem in the North and Daenerys would destroy herself due to being lonely in the South anyways, or she could fine some toady nobles in her own court and she could play her little games with them. She said Dorne to Winterfell anyway, not specifically Winterfell, also said Lannisport etc,

I am not saying Jon did the wrong thing by killing her, but he could ignore her and return to North, Daenerys was doomed from the beginning anyway, why bother for the people in the South and risk your neck for it? Idiots like Yara Greyjoy didn't even thank Jon instead they wanted to kill him for killing Daenerys. They are obviously not worthy to save it.

The only good thing that comes out of this mess is the independence of the North, that's the only consolation I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if she was doomed without Jon offing her. Didnt she kill anyone who might mount a reasonable resistance? It seemed fitting that he was her Achilles heel. Not denying that she wouldn't trip over her own feet eventually, but she did seem hell bent on killing more people.

In her multiple interviews with the press in which she defended Dany even after the ending, Emilia let it slip that Jon chose SOMEONE over her.

Conspiracy theory time: what if they originally had Jon choose Sansa as Queen in the North, and he told Dany about it, but Emilia thought this was too much? She did appear to hold sway over them by asking them to give Dany a sword in E3. She also appeared to have a mental breakdown over Dany's ending. 

I disagree with the timing of everything and think Jon should have done more for Dany (both before and after), but I think he was doing it for Dany/himself/the Starks more than the people of the south. 

I think he thought Dany was “broken” beyond repair and needed to be old yellered to save her from herself/others.

He viewed it as his responsibility just like that kid from Old Yeller. He didn’t want her dying alone at the hands of an assassin and risk having her head up on a pike.

Also Sansa blatantly committed treason against her which lead to someone trying to poison her. And Dany knew it was her.

If Jon peaced out, then there’s a very strong chance Dany would go nuke WF.

Or at least demand Sansa’s head, which would have lead to another war, and the north would have been demolished. 

I think a few reasons made Jon kill her then and there.

1. Being the heir to the iron Throne meant he couldn't walk away. He maybes could have before he told Sansa and Arya but once he did that the cat was out of the bag, it would come up and drive conflict with Danaerys down the line. Does he want a war in the North with Drogon in tow, he just saw the destruction in Kings Landing - far too dangerous.

2. Dany and Sansa are now enemies and Arya is stuck somewhere inbetween - he knows shes a threat top them whilst still alive.

3. She made a speech in which she she mentioned Winterfell as a place to free - might not have literally meant go and free winterfell via force or meant go to Winterfell at all but it was mentioned, jon heard it and recognised the possibility of a threat.

4. Jon has a moral compass, hes very much like Ned, he has no problem with violence between people who are violent but innocents is a no and especially with no honour like Dany and the Unsullied just did. He couldn't walk away from that ultimately and saved many an innocents lives at the possible cost of his own.

Wasn't Jon always going to kill her anyway? I mean, she had planned to invade Westeros. . . his family was a threat if they refused to let her rule over them. She'd always be at odds with the Starks. Jon would always side with his family. Jon liking Dany for a bit just seemed like it prolonged the inevitable. 

The ending we deserve. Jon kills Dany. Drogon tries but cannot burn Jon. Jon = Aegon VI of the Houses Stark and Targaryen (raised to be Starkesque so we will Joffreize this), King of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. No independent North.

Archived