Anyone else annoyed that Tyrion is hand again?

Kaguya

Tyrion should have been killed for his atrocious advice in Season 7, which was so incompetent it could easily be misconstrued as deliberate sabotage of his queen. And then, while Grey Worm was apparently ruthless enough to kill surrendering soldiers, he killed neither the treasonous failure Hand of the Queen nor his queen's actual fucking murderer. Then, though Grey Worm explicitly says Tyrion isn't there to speak, he lets the idiot speak Bran into kingship.

Tyrion has been both whitewashed and gifted plot armour for four whole seasons, and that's saying something given book Tyrion already has plot armour (not getting greyscale at the Sorrows, anyone?). He's D&D's catchphrase-spewing 'witty' (read: cock joke telling) protagonist, so he can't be evil and he can't die, that wouldn't sell shirts.

Why would anyone want to be the hand anyway? The realm is bleeding, KL is destroyed, the North is separated, there are many problems at the hand when it comes to other regions. Tyrion didn't want to be the hand for that reason, and Davos wouldn't want as well (but he would accept it if they need him) so they need men like Tyrion to do the dirty work, there aren't many smart people left like him, Davos is in the small council anyway, he is also helping Bran and Tyrion.

17 minutes ago, RYShh said:

there aren't many smart people left like him

Smart? Even Peter Dinklage pointed out his recent idiocy regarding 'hide in the crypt, where the dead people are, from a necromancer'. Name one remotely smart decision Tyrion has made post Season 4. I'll wait.

15 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Smart? Even Peter Dinklage pointed out his recent idiocy regarding 'hide in the crypt, where the dead people are, from a necromancer'. Name one remotely smart decision Tyrion has made post Season 4. I'll wait.

In comparison with other people, I mean he is smarter than Bronn at least, or Brienne. Who could they choose? Davos or Sam didn't think about that crypt thing as well, no one did, so they are all idiots, not only Tyrion.

13 minutes ago, RYShh said:

In comparison with other people, I mean he is smarter than Bronn at least, or Brienne. Who could they choose? Davos or Sam didn't think about that crypt thing as well, no one did, so they are all idiots, not only Tyrion.

I guess that's somewhat the case, but I mean, Cersei makes him look idiotic in Seasons 7 & 8. Cersei. Even Jaime, the self-admitted dumbest Lannister, gets the drop on him.

But I tend to agree. Everyone in the show dropped 100 or so IQ points from Seasons 4 to 5. Stannis the Daughter-burner, Ellaria the Kinslayer, Yara the Moronic Butch Lesbian Stereotype. Everyone did their damnedest to become stupid assholes (Stannis, Yara, Arya, Littlefinger, Grey Worm) or stupid saints (Tyrion, Varys, Jon, Doran).

23 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I guess that's somewhat the case, but I mean, Cersei makes him look idiotic in Seasons 7 & 8. Cersei. Even Jaime, the self-admitted dumbest Lannister, gets the drop on him.

But I tend to agree. Everyone in the show dropped 100 or so IQ points from Seasons 4 to 5. Stannis the Daughter-burner, Ellaria the Kinslayer, Yara the Moronic Butch Lesbian Stereotype. Everyone did their damnedest to become stupid assholes (Stannis, Yara, Arya, Littlefinger, Grey Worm) or stupid saints (Tyrion, Varys, Jon, Doran).

Once they decided there should be 'good guys' and 'bad guys', there was no reason to make them smart, anyway. 

Tyrion can't advise to significant violence or decent machiavellian crap anyhow. That's his father’s shtick. His sister's spot.

Tyrion's a good man. He's the 'good' Lannister. No nuances or stupid 'greyness' here.

1 hour ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Once they decided there should be 'good guys' and 'bad guys', there was no reason to make them smart, anyway. 

Tyrion can't advise to significant violence or decent machiavellian crap anyhow. That's his father’s shtick. His sister's spot.

Tyrion's a good man. He's the 'good' Lannister. No nuances or stupid 'greyness' here.

Ye, for a show that built its reputation with moral greyness, they sure slipped into black and white morality.

Yes, Tyrion had no smart idea since several seasons. Bran should have never chosen him, the hand of the enemy. He should have taken someone he really trusts. This is really told badly. Hopefully the books make more sense of it or have a different council altogether.

The whole council is idiotic. I bet that is DD and not GRRM. I believe in Bran being King. But the rest? It's almost ridiculous. I defend several aspects of season 8 quite a lot here, but the small council is the deepest point of the season.

Bronn is ridiculous. He was even my favorite side-kick, but as master of coins? This is too much. Entirely unreasonable. 

Samwell is another of my much liked side characters and I enjoyed the ending with Gilly being pregnant and him being Lord of Hornhill. That fit so perfectly. The son the father never accepted being the head of the family. A wildling lady, an adopted child. Perfect ending. And then they botch it with him becoming maester out of nowhere and even grand maester out of even less. Too stupid. 

Brienne as King's Guard is fine. Sworn to the family, probably feeling better there and important than in the North with Sansa. Good ending.

Davos... a very likeable character, but hand of ships? Does not make much sense to me, but OK.

It felt so forced making him the hand. It felt like that was something that fans wanted so D&D gave it. I personally believe the theory that he will lose his tongue, and probably won't be able to be hand because of that.

Supposedly Bran being king comes from GRRM, sure. It just seems weird. It also appeared like there should have been more there, like Bran possibly manipulating everything? I could see that happening in the books as well.

Tyrion should have been executed since long, and Grey Worm leaving Jon alive makes zero sense. Daenerys was the raison de vivre of the remaining Unsullieds and Dothrakis.

Grey Worm should be sitting with the council, after putting Jon's head on the table. He should take advantage of the fact that he is in a position of strength. If I were him, I'd start by eliminating the Starks.

21 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Tyrion should have been executed since long, and Grey Worm leaving Jon alive makes zero sense. Daenerys was the raison de vivre of the remaining Unsullieds and Dothrakis.

Grey Worm should be sitting with the council, after putting Jon's head on the table. He should take advantage of the fact that he is in a position of strength. If I were him, I'd start by eliminating the Starks.

I feel that after Jon kills Dany, the  director should have had Drogon intimidate Jon until he stood in front of the Iron Throne, and then dragon fire melt the Iron Throne with Jon in front, causing a burning Jon to fall onto the Iron Throne as it melts, Drogon later flying off with Dany's body as per the episode. This way, House Targaryen ends in a poetic high note with a dash of melancholy, and with the Dragonlord bloodline extinct, the throne is withdrawn from existence. Having Jon go back to the Wall is simply anti-climatic. 

2 minutes ago, Br16 said:

and then dragon fire melt the Iron Throne with Jon in front, causing a burning Jon to fall onto the Iron Throne as it melts,  […] 

This way, House Targaryen ends in a poetic high note with a dash of melancholy, and with the Dragonlord bloodline extinct, the throne is withdrawn from existence. 

That would have been spectacular AND meaningful, worthy of the first seasons, when actions had consequences … the good old days… 

22 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The Seven Kingdoms would collapse if Tyrion advised Bran as badly as he advised Daenerys.

Haven't they already collapsed? Look at that miserable reunion of “trois pelés et un tondu” as we say in French… (meaning a bunch of nobodies)

None of those present is named, no heraldry, no coat of arms, no banners, no squires, no body guards, no servant or cupbearer… It's like a business meeting in a bankrupt insurance company… Compare to the Tourney Of The Hand in S1… 

11 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Haven't they already collapsed? Look at that miserable reunion of “trois pelés et un tondu” as we say in French… (meaning a bunch of nobodies)

None of those present is named, no heraldry, no coat of arms, no banners, no squires, no body guards, no servant or cupbearer… It's like a business meeting in a bankrupt insurance company… Compare to the Tourney Of The Hand in S1… 

Yeah, I always thought the last governing scenes had this weird homemade DIY feel to it, not regal or lordly at all. It's basically child's play. 

14 minutes ago, Br16 said:

Yeah, I always thought the last governing scenes had this weird homemade DIY feel to it, not regal or lordly at all. It's basically child's play. 

What more could you possibly want?

(Uh, Aragorn’s tax policy thing sounds bland, bro.)

We have jokes and whores and that's more than enough. 

On 6/14/2019 at 4:12 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

I know this thread is mostly about Tyrion but it really bugs me that the show appears to see Jaime as dumb.  Tyrion is wittier and more well-read but Jaime has a lot of really insightful and thoughtful observations in the books.  It might be interesting to play with the idea that he sees himself as dumb but isn't, but the show just seems to endorse it.  As far as Tyrion as the "good" Lannister, Jaime is also one of the only characters we see expressing much concern about "the common man" (perhaps because of Brienne's influence) - when the raven comes from the Citadel, he thinks to himself about how unprepared Westeros is for winter and wonders how Tywin will feed the land before remembering Tywin is dead.  When they go to Pennytree, it really bothers him that the town-folk hide from him and his troops in the same way they would formerly have hidden from raiders.  He needs his troops to shelter in the town-folk's houses but orders his men to leave their provisions alone.   

People often were like "you don't understand this is an ADAPTATION" but is it really necessary so often to change such fundamental and important characteristics of a character?  With Jaime they so often seemed to make him and his storyline the opposite of what he was in the books rather than just flesh it out or adjust the logistics a little to blend better with the needs of a tv show.   They changed the character in ways that weren't necessary at all.  

6 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

5 hours ago, Br16 said:

Indeed, it's completely off the scale in its sheer patheticness, and not in a melancholy scouring-of-the-shire kind of way, more a duh-how-do-we-cobble-this-shit-together-our-flight-to-the-Bahamas-leaves-in-two-hours-we-need-to-bank-the-cash-tax-free-quickly-how-hard-can-it-be-to-film-this-shit-you-losers kind of way.

Archived