Best quotes of Game of Thrones

Kajjo

Please provide your favorite quotes of all seasons of Game of Thrones (only show, not from books, if possible, with character and episode) in different categories. You are invited to explain what you like about them or you could simply quote them.

BEST APHORISMS FOR REAL LIFE

BEST QUOTES IN-SHOW

IMPORTANT QUOTES FOR STORYLINE

IMPORTANT QUOTES FOR STORY-LINE

Ramsey Bolton: “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.”

Cersei Baratheon: “When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.”

Tyrion Lannister: “I never bet against my family.”

Eddard Stark: “The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Arya Stark : “Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe.”

Petyr Baleish: “Chaos is a ladder.”

Syrio Forel: “There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today.’”

BEST APHORISMS FOR REAL LIFE

Bran wondered,  “Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?” -- “That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.

Tyrion Lannister: “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

Tyrion Lannister: “Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.”

Petyr Baelish: “We only make peace with our enemies. That’s why it’s called making peace.”

Varys: “Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick; a shadow on the wall.”

Tywin Lannister: "Any man who must say 'I am the King' is no true King.”

Mance Ryder: “The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted.”

52 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Both Jon and Bran said this before :thumbsdown:

------------

Davos: ''You're not in the Night's Watch anymore, you're King in the North.'' 

Jon: ''I'm the only one here who's fought them. I'm the only one here who knows them.'' 

Daenerys: ''I haven't given you permission to leave.''

Jon: ''With respect, Your Grace, I don't need your permission. I am a king. And I came here knowing that you could have your men behead me or your dragons burn me alive. I put my trust in you, a stranger, because I knew it was the best chance for my people, for all our people. Now I'm asking you to trust in a stranger because it's our best chance.'' (S07E05)

-------------

Grey Worm : ''- You cannot.'' 

Bran: ''Yes, I can. - I'm king.'' (S08E06)

38 minutes ago, RYShh said:

Both Jon and Bran said this before

Which doesn't make it less worthwhile to consider. Don't you think so? Further, it depends on the situation.

40 minutes ago, RYShh said:

Grey Worm : ''- You cannot.'' 

Bran: ''Yes, I can. - I'm king.'' (S08E06)

Which somehow proves the point... very newly elected, very strange election, not so deeply felt yet.

Jon Snow: ''I was jealous of Robb my whole life. The way my father looked at him, I wanted that. He was better than me at everything-- fighting and hunting and riding and girls. Gods, the girls loved him. I wanted to hate him, but I never could.'' (S04E01)

Daario: ''You all right? Why don't you sit and catch your breath? Jorah: - I'm fine. - Daario: ( chuckles ) I don't think you could ride the dragon. 20 years ago, maybe. Jorah: - What? - Daario: Our queen. She's wild, you know. Don't let her size fool you. It's hard enough for me and I'm a young man. You, I don't think your heart could take it.'' (S06E04)

Cersei : ''I shall wear this like a badge of honor.''  Robert Baratheon:  ''Wear it in silence or I'll honor you again.'' (S01E06)

Roose Bolton: ''In my family, we say, A naked man has few secrets. A flayed man none.'' (S02E04)

Locke: ''You think you're the smartest man there is. That everyone alive has to bow and scrape and lick your boots. Jaime: - My father-- - Locke: And if you get in any trouble, all you've got to do is say "my father" and that's it, all your troubles are gone. Jaime: - Don't. - Locke:  Have you got something to say? Careful. You don't want to say the wrong thing. You're nothing without your daddy, and your daddy ain't here. Never forget that. Here, this should help you remember.'' (S03E03)

Robb: ''It's not about glory. Your instructions were to wait for him to come to you.'' Edmure: ''I seized an opportunity.'' Robb: ''What value was the mill?'' Edmure: ''The Mountain was garrisoned across the river from it.'' Robb: ''Is he there now?'' Edmure: ''Of course not. We took the fight to him. He could not withstand us.'' Robb: ''I wanted to draw the Mountain into the west, into our country where we could surround him and kill him. I wanted him to chase us, which he would have done because he is a mad dog without a strategic thought in his head. I could have that head on a spike by now. Instead, I have a mill.'' Edmure: ''We took hostages. Willem Lannister. Martyn Lannister.'' Robb: ''Willem and Martyn Lannister are 14 years old.'' Blackfish: '' Martyn is 15, I believe.'' Robb: ''Tywin Lannister has my sisters. Have I sued for peace?'' Edmure: ''No.'' Robb: ''Do you think he'll sue for peace because we have his father's brother's great-grandsons?'' Edmure: ''No.'' Robb: ''How many men did you lose?'' Edmure: ''208. But for every man we lost, the Lannisters--'' Robb: ''We need our men more than Tywin needs his!'' Edmure ''I'm sorry. - I didn't know. -'' Robb ''You would have. Right here today at this gathering if you had been patient.'' Blackfish: ''We seem to be running short of patience here.'' Robb: ''You know who isn't? Tywin Lannister.'' (S03E03)

Littlefinger: ''But is it wise to yank the lion's tail? Tywin Lannister is the richest man in all the Seven Kingdoms. Gold wins wars, not soldiers.'' Eddard: ''Then how come Robert is king and not Tywin Lannister?'' (S01E06)

Jaime: ''You clearly have no intention of saving your men's lives. Why did you come treat with me? Blackfish: ''Sieges are dull. And I wanted to see you in person, get the measure of you.'' Jaime ''Well, now you have.'' Blackfish: ''Aye, now I have. I'm disappointed.'' (S06E07)

Jaime: ''Three victories don't make you a conqueror.'' Robb: ''It's better than three defeats.'' (S02E01) 

57 minutes ago, RYShh said:

Locke: ''You think you're the smartest man there is. That everyone alive has to bow and scrape and lick your boots. Jaime: - My father-- - Locke: And if you get in any trouble, all you've got to do is say "my father" and that's it, all your troubles are gone. Jaime: - Don't. - Locke:  Have you got something to say? Careful. You don't want to say the wrong thing. You're nothing without your daddy, and your daddy ain't here. Never forget that. Here, this should help you remember.'' (S03E03)

Someone ought to tell Benioff that next time he lies about his screenwriting qualifications or uses his Goldman-Sachs papa to get free screenwriting gigs.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, Kajjo said:

Someone should have told D&D that before they started their cringeworthy inside the episode skits.

'Any writer who has to sit with the viewer and explain their story is no true writer.'

On 6/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, Kajjo said:

Mance Ryder: “The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted.”

A better king than any of the fools. One who understand what "free will" mean. Why he was king.
This scene is full of what I expect of ASoIaF. One of the places I thought D&D understood GRRM and would match his ending.... nope

Mance: They followed me because they respected me. Because they believed in me The moment I kneel for a southern king, that's all gone..... if you can't understand why I won't enlist my people in a foreigner's war, there's no point explaining.

Season 8 was not all bad. Then I still had hope:

EP01, Sam: You gave up your crown to save your people. Would she do the same?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

EP01, Sam: You gave up your crown to save your people. Would she do the same?

Yes, one of the finest quotes from S8. 

S8E1 was too rushed and the dialogues to shallow, but the Samwell scenes were clearly the highlights.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Someone should have told D&D that before they started their cringeworthy inside the episode skits.

'Any writer who has to sit with the viewer and explain their story is no true writer.'

God those were painful. I instantly shut off the TV as soon as their faces showed up.

Archived