Small folk savings

Br16

How much did the average small folk (excluding more prosperous ones such as innkeepers, smith shop owner or small merchants) have on them as savings or emergency fund? Perhaps a silver moon or two that they would pass on to their kids if not spent? 

What do you guys think?

5 hours ago, Br16 said:

How much did the average small folk (excluding more prosperous ones such as innkeepers, smith shop owner or small merchants) have on them as savings or emergency fund? Perhaps a silver moon or two that they would pass on to their kids if not spent? 

What do you guys think?

I doubt a lot of them ever handled money in their lives. Especially in the North. They would contribute food or furs or resources for tax purposes rather than coins.

5 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I doubt a lot of them ever handled money in their lives. Especially in the North. They would contribute food or furs or resources for tax purposes rather than coins.

I agree about them paying their lord in kind, but is it really possible that they would not have even one large silver coin set aside for a rainy day?

2 minutes ago, Br16 said:

I agree about them paying their lord in kind, but is it really possible that they would not have even one large silver coin set aside for a rainy day?

Depends on their station in life, their job, the region they live in. 

2 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Depends on their station in life, their job, the region they live in. 

Let's say a poorer area up North as you mentioned. Would a silver moon be basically a heirloom for this type of non skilled small folk? Or would they be so poor they only ever barter.

6 minutes ago, Br16 said:

Let's say a poorer area up North as you mentioned. Would a silver moon be basically a heirloom for this type of non skilled small folk? Or would they be so poor they only ever barter.

I doubt they’d ever know what money felt like.

Someone working the mines in the Westerlands, however? They might sneak a jewel out during their shift.

These are folks who barely had enough to survive (if enough) and a poor quality of life at that. Perhaps some were neglecting their needs by holding on to some $$ but nothing like we would think of in our world today.

I'm unsure of the actual translated term, but in portuguese, peasants in a feudal system are referred to as 'servos da gleba'. It sort of means the people come with the land. They are not 'property' of the feudal lord, per se, but they sort of come attached to the land.

I find the notion that people in such a precarious position could ever hope to 'save' actual money becomes a bit weird as to the setting of the stories..

What about weddings and funerals? Do septons work for free? Or I assume that one cannot neither marry or get proper burial without paying to faith. Small folk would also have to pay their taxes and rents. So I assume that most peasants at least try to have some kind of saving.

Archived