Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

30 minutes ago, Eric Cartman said:

Not sure how you calculate that. Molly became Winter Lady in Cold Days. Peace Talks is set 2 years after Cold Days...and that how long she's been his boss for. 

Exactly.  These books are no longer set in "real time".  In fact I think this is less than two years after Cold Days.  I think this is a year and a few months after Cold Days.  I seem to remember reading that Peace Talks is set six weeks after the end of Skin Game.

23 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What did you think of the "Micro-Fiction" journal of Donald Morgan?

It's been apparent for a while that people in Harry's life including McCoy, Lash, Lea and others have kept things from Harry.  I like it and I like the idea that Morgan was Harry's unknowing protector even while tormenting him. 

29 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It's been apparent for a while that people in Harry's life including McCoy, Lash, Lea and others have kept things from Harry.  I like it and I like the idea that Morgan was Harry's unknowing protector even while tormenting him. 

Morgan is very frank that he thought that after Harry (apparently) killed Justin the safer thing to do was execute him.  That's hard core particularly if he had promised to protect Harry

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hide contents

Morgan is very frank that he thought that after Harry (apparently) killed Justin the safer thing to do was execute him.  That's hard core particularly if he had promised to protect Harry

It's a very utilitarian view.  But Morgan showed he was prepared to sacrifice himself unjustly if needed to protect what he loves. 

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A lot of fans think Cowl is Justin.  I think Cowl is Justin’s mentor Simon Pietrovich the senior council member who was allegedly killed in Archangel.

I'm still new to the series, and have mainly considered it a fun, pulp read.  I never spent too much time dwelling on deeper mysteries of the books or sought out an online community, so this is the first I've heard of it.  That's interesting for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 8:24 PM, Rhom said:

Is Justin alive?  The micro fiction certain implies he could be.

As mentioned by others, he is a candidate for Cowl.  Possibly the best candidate.  Though his mentor also might fit what information we have on Cowl. And there are a few outside possibilities.  What is certain is that there is a lot more to Justin's "death" that Harry is not aware of.  

28 minutes ago, davos said:

As mentioned by others, he is a candidate for Cowl.  Possibly the best candidate.  Though his mentor also might fit what information we have on Cowl. And there are a few outside possibilities.  What is certain is that there is a lot more to Justin's "death" that Harry is not aware of.  

Cowl has old scars on his arms.  And is magically stronger than  Dresden who was stronger than Justin.  it's not him. 

21 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Cowl has old scars on his arms.  And is magically stronger than  Dresden who was stronger than Justin.  it's not him

While Harry defeated Justin, there is a strong possibility that everything was not as it seemed.  There was a lot going on that night.  Harry was confused, scared, and angry as hell.  We already know he assumed Elaine to be dead and was wrong about that.  Given Harry's ability to solve complex mysteries but miss what is right in front of his face, there is likely a lot more about those events that he missed.   Specifically the Morgan's journal microfiction linked to earlier suggests the possibility that the whole thing could have been staged to fake Justin's death.  Though this was always a possibility, its now suggested outright in canon by Jim.  

Outside of Harry beating him in a fight, I don't recall any specific information that suggests Harry was definitely stronger than Justin (feel free to correct me on this point.  I've been through the books twice but its been a few years).  Even if that was the case, though, about 20 years, maybe a bit more, have passed.   Justin, if still alive, could have taken steps to boost him powers.   Scars on his arms could have been acquired during the fight with Harry or latter.   I don't think we have enough evidence to eliminate Justin as a suspect for Cowl, though, there is at least one other equally strong possibility, and probably several outside candidates.  Regardless of if he is Cowl or not, I am almost certain that Justin will make a personal appearance in the series at some point.  

Boy, I really need to reread at least Skin Game (and probably a few earlier books too) before Peace Talks hit the shelves, I barely recognize most of the names you guys talk about. And anyway, it was a really fun read and it was six years ago. High time to recollect how things stand.

12 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Boy, I really need to reread at least Skin Game (and probably a few earlier books too) before Peace Talks hit the shelves, I barely recognize most of the names you guys talk about. And anyway, it was a really fun read and it was six years ago. High time to recollect how things stand.

I think I'll go for my tried and trusted "I'll probably remember bits and pieces as the story unfolds"-strategy. 

Works surprisingly well at times.

I need to re-read a bunch of the later ones, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to start. Don't want to commit to a full do-over. I'll probably read plot summaries on a fansite until I reach a point I decide to dive back fully into it. I'm not sure there's any series I churn through faster, to be honest. They're just so damn entertaining.

14 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I need to re-read a bunch of the later ones, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to start. Don't want to commit to a full do-over. I'll probably read plot summaries on a fansite until I reach a point I decide to dive back fully into it. I'm not sure there's any series I churn through faster, to be honest. They're just so damn entertaining.

I re-read from Dead Beat.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I thought Dead Beat was where it really started picking up and tying things together.  If you just need the most recent status, then Changes might be a good place to pick up.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I would agree that this is a good place to start a reread.   For someone wanting to shorten it even more, I would argue with beginning at Turn Coat rather than Changes.  While the latter is structurally the watershed moment for the series, there is nearly as much important revelations and events in the former.  We introduced to nemisis and the outsiders (actually I think outsiders had been mentioned before but this is where they become major players in Harry's story), Harry finds out that a number of assumptions he had about his history were not completely correct, and the Council gets a major shake-up.  Additionally, if one is preparing for the release of Peace Talks, Turn Coat, is the last we see much of the White Council. Yes, they there is a brief scene early on is Changes where WC makes an appearance to show themselves to collectively be dicks even if individual members are cool and we do see several council members in more recent books (the Gatekeeper and McCoy). But, this is last real look at the state of the council as a group.  Rashid told Harry that he would make sure his standing in the WC was made right after his return to life, but mostly Harry has been out of contact with the larger Wizard community for sometime.  And I have a feeling that the WC is going to be prominent in Peace Talks and that a lot that happened in Turn Coat is going to be relevant.  

It depends the degree to which you want to invest in the story, I guess.  I hate reading an allusion or reference and not getting it.  But the principal characters/events from Changes onwards can be refreshed through reading an online summary.  I personally think the Thomas/vampire focussed novels are the weakest in the series and not worth a reread.  The stories involving the WC and the Denarians are the most engaging. 

37 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It depends the degree to which you want to invest in the story, I guess.  I hate reading an allusion or reference and not getting it.  But the principal characters/events from Changes onwards can be refreshed through reading an online summary.  I personally think the Thomas/vampire focussed novels are the weakest in the series and not worth a reread.  The stories involving the WC and the Denarians are the most engaging. 

I tend to agree.  There's something about a bear demon with four eyes that freaks me out!!!!

On the wave of nostalgia I also rewatched Dresden Files TV series and once again I felt it was a really good show, even if quite loosely based on the books. Was there ever any rumours of picking it up? I must say that since I first watched it, Dresden has always had Paul Blackthorne's face for me. And Valerie Cruz was a damn good Murphy. It was a real shame it was cancelled.

18 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

On the wave of nostalgia I also rewatched Dresden Files TV series and once again I felt it was a really good show, even if quite loosely based on the books. Was there ever any rumours of picking it up? I must say that since I first watched it, Dresden has always had Paul Blackthorne's face for me. And Valerie Cruz was a damn good Murphy. It was a real shame it was cancelled.

I remember when it was on, Jim Butcher constantly sang its praises.

His fans were angry and argued with him. "BUT THEY CHANGED THINGS!"

• 3 weeks later...

I think a remake of the TV show would be better with a proper budget and someone who looked like Dresden as the central character. 

The problem isn't so much that they changed things but that the changes were to create a monster-of-the-week vibe.  Messing around with the deeper story ultimately set up problems for the future.  

Does anyone else find the coronavirus growth remind them somewhat eerily of the Vord? (If you haven't picked up Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, you should.)  

Are people enjoying the microfiction?

Archived