Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

I actually wonder if Dresden files would be a good candidate for some experimentation of format with one of the streaming services.  Like if Netflix picked it up, they could release one "season" every 3 or 4 months, and have each season be 3-5 episodes covering one book.  This would avoid monster of the week fatigue, and would help differentiate it from other shows.  They could film 2-3 seasons at a time, and just release them separately. 

Just a thought, but I definitely think Netflix et al should be experimenting more with different formats/lengths of shows. 

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I think a remake of the TV show would be better with a proper budget and someone who looked like Dresden as the central character. 

The problem isn't so much that they changed things but that the changes were to create a monster-of-the-week vibe.  Messing around with the deeper story ultimately set up problems for the future. 

I don't think the Dresden Files are particularly myth heavy either. I think they are basically "monster of the book" series with a myth arc linking them.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I actually wonder if Dresden files would be a good candidate for some experimentation of format with one of the streaming services.  Like if Netflix picked it up, they could release one "season" every 3 or 4 months, and have each season be 3-5 episodes covering one book.  This would avoid monster of the week fatigue, and would help differentiate it from other shows.  They could film 2-3 seasons at a time, and just release them separately. 

Just a thought, but I definitely think Netflix et al should be experimenting more with different formats/lengths of shows. 

More like the animated format they seem to use?

I think this could be a good idea as it would avoid the temptation of stringing out books to more episodes than they need.

Shows like last kingdom do 2 books per short season which is also an option. 

A lot of the Dresden books (at least where I've got to) could probably be done as movies and might be all the better for it. But I'm absolutely fine with them as streaming movies

Trailer is out:

https://youtu.be/F17zuaRJG0U

Book 17 is coming on September 29th:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/645503/battle-ground-by-jim-butcher/

And here is also an excerpt from Peace Talks (the one from the Kickstarter I suspect):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/check-out-our-exclusive-peek-at-jim-butchers-new-dresde-1842415798

3 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Trailer is out:

https://youtu.be/F17zuaRJG0U

Book 17 is coming on September 29th:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/645503/battle-ground-by-jim-butcher/

And here is also an excerpt from Peace Talks (the one from the Kickstarter I suspect):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/check-out-our-exclusive-peek-at-jim-butchers-new-dresde-1842415798

I’m truing to figure out if Battle Ground is just the second half of Peace Talks or if Butcher legitimately wrote a second book while on hiatus.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m truing to figure out if Battle Ground is just the second half of Peace Talks or if Butcher legitimately wrote a second book while on hiatus.

Both. He wrote one book that was almost 400,000 words long and his editor said that was too long and there was also a tonal shift halfway through that felt a bit odd, so he split it in half and rewrote the two halves to work as stand-alone novels.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Both. He wrote one book that was almost 400,000 words long and his editor said that was too long and there was also a tonal shift halfway through that felt a bit odd, so he split it in half and rewrote the two halves to work as stand-alone novels.

Thanks for sharing this link Wert.  Based on the interview (and reading the book descriptions and watching the trailer and therefore getting unavoidably, somewhat spoiled), I've decided to wait and read both books together when Battle Ground comes out on 29 September 2020.  

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Probably helps explain the delays on top of his personal life getting in the way.

More money for the publishers and (sort of) more words for readers.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They did that for Skin Game too.  But I don’t recall Dresden ever creating Dr. Strange style mandalas in the books.

Hard to display magic otherwise.  Some creative liberties seems perfectly appropriate.  {SPOILERS FOR PEACE TALKS AND BATTLE GROUND BELOW}

Spoiler

So who is the last Titan? The Amazon description makes clear she is female.  I was wondering whether it was the Empress of the Fomor, maybe a titan associated with the sea like Tethys or Thetis. 

9 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Murphy bits and the Lara Raith bits are the ones that most intrigue me.

I also have been mispronouncing Marcone.

I always pronounced the E.

Whaaaaaat?!!?  Are you telling me it’s not Mar-cone-ee???  That goes against every mob movie pronunciation I’ve ever heard!

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Whaaaaaat?!!?  Are you telling me it’s not Mar-cone-ee???  That goes against every mob movie pronunciation I’ve ever heard!

No, that's how it's pronounced. 

Where did the false pronunciation come from, CT?

31 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

No, that's how it's pronounced. 

Where did the false pronunciation come from, CT?

It is “Mar-cone”.  If it was spelled “Marconi” it would be pronounced “Mar-cone-e”.  

I’m getting the pronunciation from the audiobooks.

I think the original, as that little pronunciation shot shows, would be mar-CONE-eh. Most accurately with a clear Italian hand gesture for emphasis. We lovely Americans aren't exactly good at keeping proper non-English words pronounced correctly, so erring to Mar-CON-ee or that weird trailer's Mar-CONE are both within the realm of reason. My Irish last name used to have three distinct syllables, but after generations over here, we all now just swallow the middle one and it's far less graceful. Alas.

Archived