Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

Spoiler

Is anyone a little bothered by the fact we kinda/sorta know the ending of Peace Talks? I don't usually mind spoilers but the fact that Book 17 is an epic battle in Chicago seems to give away the plot that Thomas has been framed in Book 16. 

The Amazon description for Battle Ground also makes clear that I have been speculating for a while: Harry Dresden will reveal the existence of the supernatural world to ordinary mortals.  

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is anyone a little bothered by the fact we kinda/sorta know the ending of Peace Talks? I don't usually mind spoilers but the fact that Book 17 is an epic battle in Chicago seems to give away the plot that Thomas has been framed in Book 16. 

The Amazon description for Battle Ground also makes clear that I have been speculating for a while: Harry Dresden will reveal the existence of the supernatural world to ordinary mortals.  

Spoiler

Isn’t one of the key points of the books that even when shown the supernatural world, most of the mortals won’t believe anyways?

A giant werewolf was caught on camera wrecking a police station and people told themselves it was a big dude hyped up on drugs or something.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:
  Hide contents

Isn’t one of the key points of the books that even when shown the supernatural world, most of the mortals won’t believe anyways?

A giant werewolf was caught on camera wrecking a police station and people told themselves it was a big dude hyped up on drugs or something.

Spoiler

But there's also gradual increase in awareness for ordinary mortals in Dresdenverse.  There's the bleeding rule that has become increasingly common.  There's the Paranet, which someone like Irwin Pounder can use to figure out the truth about the supernatural fairly easily.  There's the reaction following the fall of the Red Court.  

• 4 weeks later...

A problem that I'm sure is not unique to me on this board...  As a latecomer to the series, I have all his books in mass market paperback format.  So, do I wait for this to come out in MMPB to maintain bookshelf consistency?  Or finally read the book as it comes out?  :dunno: 

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

A problem that I'm sure is not unique to me on this board...  As a latecomer to the series, I have all his books in mass market paperback format.  So, do I wait for this to come out in MMPB to maintain bookshelf consistency?  Or finally read the book as it comes out?  :dunno: 

Both.  Some in MMPB some in hardback.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I came into the series earlier than some but later than others and for a while after Butcher started getting hardcovers Orbit did their own far superior covers before giving up to use the dumb american ones so as a result I now have 9 paperback main series novels, a paperback short story collection that's a different size and cover style to the other paperbacks, 3 UK hardcovers, and 4 US hardcovers, also the subterranian press edition of Backup though that's 100% self-inflicted. This series kinda broke me on cover consistency.

So I'd go with reading as soon as Peace Talks hits the shelves!

This is fun. I finished reading up on the first twelve books on the Tor Re-read, as well as dipping over to some wiki entries on characters I am fuzzy on, and most importantly reading a couple chapters I really remembered, or quite the opposite had completely forgotten. I started up a proper page-turning with Changes, which I think is definitely the spot to jump deeper than reading plot summaries. I knew how wild the last hundred, hundred fifty pages or so are, but holy cow. I definitely have only read Ghost Story twice, and it's feeling nice and fresh. Cold Days I hardly can remember specifics other than "All sorts of insane shit is going down."

Butcher's writing borders on silly, especially Dresden's inner voice. I don't mind - it's always been one of the most entertaining series I've read. I need to balance this with other books, or I'll be caught up literally by this next week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:29 PM, Jussi said:

Does anyone else really hate the newer covers, and much preferred the early ones from the 90s? 

On 4/29/2020 at 10:19 PM, Rhom said:

I've already got a mix, so I'll just go with Kindle since that's all I really read these days anyway.  

On 3/21/2020 at 5:40 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

I think a remake of the TV show would be better with a proper budget and someone who looked like Dresden as the central character. 

The problem isn't so much that they changed things but that the changes were to create a monster-of-the-week vibe.  Messing around with the deeper story ultimately set up problems for the future.  

Does anyone else find the coronavirus growth remind them somewhat eerily of the Vord? (If you haven't picked up Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, you should.)  

Are people enjoying the microfiction?

No.  Coronavirus isn't intelligent, you can get it and get over it, and its really just another pandemic and totally natural. 

6 hours ago, ants said:

Does anyone else really hate the newer covers, and much preferred the early ones from the 90s? 

I've already got a mix, so I'll just go with Kindle since that's all I really read these days anyway.  

Not sure which covers in particular you mean but yeah I really dislike the current covers which are all samey and feature Dresden in a cowboy hat. I particularly hate the spines where he seems to be wearing a 10 gallon hat.

15 hours ago, ants said:

No.  Coronavirus isn't intelligent, you can get it and get over it, and its really just another pandemic and totally natural. 

I meant in terms of their exponential growth.  YMMV. 

Spoiler

So I interpret the most recently released microfiction as support for my view that the events in Peace Talks/Battleground will result in the great unveiling of the supernatural to the mortal world.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Hide contents

So I interpret the most recently released microfiction as support for my view that the events in Peace Talks/Battleground will result in the great unveiling of the supernatural to the mortal world.  Thoughts?

I'm curious what part of the microfiction lead you to that conclusion? I mean I think there's a possibility that you're correct, things have sort of been going in that direction for a while in my opinion, but I didn't see anything particularly suggestive in Job Placement. Of all the shorts released over the last few years I'd say that Christmas Eve had the most to offer in that direction.

14 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

There are none from the 90s

But no I like these two new covers more than most of the early ones.

Early 2000's then. :rolleyes:

Checking up, and Stormfront was 2000.  So I was out by a year.  

13 hours ago, Poobah said:

Of all the shorts released over the last few years I'd say that Christmas Eve had the most to offer in that direction.

Thank you for that! Somehow I managed to miss it and haven't read it before. Adorable.

21 hours ago, Poobah said:

I'm curious what part of the microfiction lead you to that conclusion? I mean I think there's a possibility that you're correct, things have sort of been going in that direction for a while in my opinion, but I didn't see anything particularly suggestive in Job Placement. Of all the shorts released over the last few years I'd say that Christmas Eve had the most to offer in that direction.

Spoiler

Well, we know the Last Titan is coming to destroy Chicago.  And (if you have read the released blurb) you know that Harry has to kill her to turn back her army.  The descent of an army on Chicago isn't the kind of thing that will go unnoticed by mortals in the first place and I guess he will need to recruit every mortal and immortal ally he can to engage the army while he tries to kill the mad Titan. That's where the son of Bigfoot and the White Vamp come in... agreed that Christmas Eve also supports such a theory.

Archived