Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

Well, we know the Last Titan is coming to destroy Chicago.  And (if you have read the released blurb) you know that Harry has to kill her to turn back her army.  The descent of an army on Chicago isn't the kind of thing that will go unnoticed by mortals in the first place and I guess he will need to recruit every mortal and immortal ally he can to engage the army while he tries to kill the mad Titan. That's where the son of Bigfoot and the White Vamp come in... agreed that Christmas Eve also supports such a theory.

Anyone think this might presage a return of Agent Tilly leading the US Government's response to Supernatural Threats?

I don't know if I've read any of the short stories, let alone the micro-fiction.  I really need to do a full re-read.  Unfortunately, all my physical books are in a different location to that which I've been isolating in.....

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hide contents

Anyone think this might presage a return of Agent Tilly leading the US Government's response to Supernatural Threats?

Isn't there a word of Jim to that effect? I thought we were going to see Faith Astor and Agent Tilly both once more...

10 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

Well, we know the Last Titan is coming to destroy Chicago.  

Spoiler

Um, I'm sorry, where do we know this from, exactly? [And I thought after rereading few of the last books I'm well prepared]

Edit: ok, quick google search helped. Got it.

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:
  Hide contents

Um, I'm sorry, where do we know this from, exactly? [And I thought after rereading few of the last books I'm well prepared]

Edit: ok, quick google search helped. Got it.

For those too lazy to Google (or not sure what to Google) mind telling us what you found?

It is all actually in the Battle Ground blurb:

Harry has faced terrible odds before. He has a long history of fighting enemies above his weight class. The Red Court of vampires. The fallen angels of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. The Outsiders.

But this time it’s different. A being more powerful and dangerous on an order of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in a millennium is coming. And she’s bringing an army. The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way.

Harry’s mission is simple but impossible: Save the city by killing a Titan. And the attempt will change Harry’s life, Chicago, and the mortal world forever.

SEE LESS

10 hours ago, ants said:

I don't know if I've read any of the short stories, let alone the micro-fiction.  I really need to do a full re-read.  Unfortunately, all my physical books are in a different location to that which I've been isolating in.....

You can find the microfictions on the short stories page of Jim Butcher's website.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, D_P said:

people try to prepare you for changes, so you see it coming for quite some time.  i wasn't prepared.  HOLY SHIT.

Yeah... the title of the book kinda says it all, huh? :lol: 

16 hours ago, D_P said:

people try to prepare you for changes, so you see it coming for quite some time.  i wasn't prepared.  HOLY SHIT.

Hah yes! It's a hell of a thing. At least you don't have to wait 18 months for the next book!

Edit to add: If you have Side Jobs (I highly recommend both of the DF short story collections) now's definitely the time to read Aftermath a Murphy PoV story that starts ~1 hour after the final scene of Changes.

On 5/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, Poobah said:

Hah yes! It's a hell of a thing. At least you don't have to wait 18 months for the next book!

Edit to add: If you have Side Jobs (I highly recommend both of the DF short story collections) now's definitely the time to read Aftermath a Murphy PoV story that starts ~1 hour after the final scene of Changes.

I did really like both of those collections.  Some of them I felt would have helped understand some of the later books though.  Like when Harry is all of a sudden dropping names that he’s close personal friends with Bigfoot and stuff.

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

I did really like both of those collections.  Some of them I felt would have helped understand some of the later books though.  Like when Harry is all of a sudden dropping names that he’s close personal friends with Bigfoot and stuff.

I think Butcher does a decent job of keeping the short stories unnecessary, while providing some fun snapshots into slightly more average, usually lower stakes, days for Chicago's #1 professional wizard.

My favourites are mostly those which are written from other points of view - it's nice to get out of Harry's head for a bit for a start, and I think that it says something for Butcher as a writer how distinctly different each character's narration feels, but most of all I think the non-Harry stories are the most interesting because they can expand the world and show us insights into things Harry's never going to see or know. I'm particularly interested in reading more from Molly and Marcone, though I'd be happy to read more from any of the characters we've seen so far, and I do really hope Butcher gets around to writing more following Luccio in the wild west.

45 minutes ago, Poobah said:

I think Butcher does a decent job of keeping the short stories unnecessary, while providing some fun snapshots into slightly more average, usually lower stakes, days for Chicago's #1 professional wizard.

My favourites are mostly those which are written from other points of view - it's nice to get out of Harry's head for a bit for a start, and I think that it says something for Butcher as a writer how distinctly different each character's narration feels, but most of all I think the non-Harry stories are the most interesting because they can expand the world and show us insights into things Harry's never going to see or know. I'm particularly interested in reading more from Molly and Marcone, though I'd be happy to read more from any of the characters we've seen so far, and I do really hope Butcher gets around to writing more following Luccio in the wild west.

I liked the Mouse POVs. :lol: 

I just saw this on another friend's wall. Someone pointed out that Butcher's son just lost his grandfather (ex-wife's father) during the shutdown, due to cancer. Apparently it was not detected early due to the hospital refusing treatment until critical condition. Butcher posted a comment saying "The government chose to kill him." It sounds like an awful situation, and certainly affected Jim's opinions.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Jim should probably stick to his day job (not doing basic research about Chicago) rather than not doing basic research about viral spread.

I saw this on reddit.  Is this real?  I can't find the reddit post where I originally saw it, but people were unable to confirm the original post.  

Edit:  Nevermind people have confirmed it's real.  I just thought it was really bizarre when I first saw it.

Anyone who is a careful reader of Jim's novels can guess his politics are libertarian/conservative.  I don't agree with him and think this post was ill-advised but we also don't need to publicly pillory people we don't agree with.  He's a fantasy author not a public health expert.  

On 5/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, Poobah said:

i skipped the short stories due to my rush to get to changes...i'll read them once i've caught up, of course, but i am definitely going to read that one as soon as i've finished cold days.

thanks!

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Anyone who is a careful reader of Jim's novels can guess his politics are libertarian/conservative.  I don't agree with him and think this post was ill-advised but we also don't need to publicly pillory people we don't agree with.  He's a fantasy author not a public health expert.  

True, but he's also an extremely successful fantasy author (still never been 100% sure why, I gave up after Book 7 when I realised I'd just read exactly the same book four times in a row with the names changed) with a lot of younger fans who'll read this nonsense and take it to heart. The counterpoint to the whole "he's a fantasy author, not a public health experty" thing is that he maybe shouldn't be using his position to make statements on public health.

Archived