Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

11 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:
  Hide contents

Chandler is described as having a "thick, fierce Freddie Mercury mustache", so I am not sure. Chandler also wears a bowler hat and his suit is "Camel-colored". Furthermore his eyes are "cobalt-blue". Lastly, the man appears to be holding a gun with no sign of a more wizardy weapon. I do not think that it is Chandler.

I mean it could just be a random henchman without significance (and it probably is), but then there is the question of his employer and why Harry appears to attack him with quite deadly looking magic.

Spoiler

Because Nemesis? I agree w/you it's not just a henchman.  

On 9/11/2020 at 2:23 AM, Lord Patrek said:

Thirty-something pages into it and it's good thus far.

Then again, the groundwork had been laid in Peace Talks and now the shit is about to hit the fan.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:47 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Just finished Battle Ground.

Wow.

This may be one of the best books in the series. Jim made the right call in "going there" several times. Fantastic book.

So do the dangling and underdeveloped plot threads actually get resolved and fleshed out? Does Butters continue to be an egregious wishfullfilment character?

11 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

I got a digital ARC.

Not going to spoil anything, but exactly what threads are you alluding to?

Spoiler

Also stuff that has been pending for several books/years like: 

1.  The Carpenters not knowing Molly is the winter lady. 

2. "Murphy's funeral".

3.  The second traitor on the White Council (the number in Egypt from Turn Coat). 

4.  The White Council finding out about the Grey Council (and the Grey Council actually doing something about the Black Council)

5.  Who is the British guy in Demonreach (said not to be Merlin). 

6.  Christos' affiliation. 

7.  Ferrovax and Odin 

8.  For that matter why didn't Odin see this coming?

9.  Starborns. 

Not expecting a lot or anything.  I already expect this will be the moment Dresden announces the irrefutable existence of magic to the mortal world. 

I'm not far enough into the book to comment on any of these. But given the title and the fact that BG is the second half of a manuscript that was meant to be a single novel, I have a feeling that the action will center on this conflict and that the book will cover about a 24-hour timeline.

Hence, I doubt that any of these issues will be addressed in BG.

I'll have to RAFO. . . :)

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

I'm not far enough into the book to comment on any of these. But given the title and the fact that BG is the second half of a manuscript that was meant to be a single novel, I have a feeling that the action will center on this conflict and that the book will cover about a 24-hour timeline.

Hence, I doubt that any of these issues will be addressed in BG.

I'll have to RAFO. . . :)

A good half of the issues are addressed.

7 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Well that is something at least. I very much doubt that it will make PT better in retrospect, but it might not make it the waste of time it currently appears to be.

Seriously, at this point PT might as well have started with the antagonist's appearance.

It also makes all of the set up in Peace Talks worth it, IMHO. Mind you, I really enjoyed Peace Talks even if it did end on a cliffhanger and a bunch of plots that don't get paid off until Battle Ground.

Dozens of things that seem to be spinning wheels are all clues.

There is a LOT of foreshadowing in Peace Talks that reach their climax.,

Even though PT turned out to be the first half of what was meant to be a novel, I enjoyed it. Cliffhanger ending and all that.

Of course, it helped that we knew we'd get the rest of the story a few weeks later. 

I hate the fact that urban fantasy books need to remain relatively short. Had this been an epic fantasy title, it would have been released as one work.

Then again, given Butcher's immense popularity in the USA, two books published months apart mean a lot of hardbacks and premium-priced ebook sales for Ace. Kind of hard to fault them for doing that. Just hope they don't make a habit of it. . .

Over 165 pages into BG and I'm enjoying it.

I was concerned that splitting the original manuscript into two installments would mean some filler material to pad BG with enough stuff to warrant a full novel, and that fear certainly became a reality. I mean, I like action as much as the next guy. But it's a little off-putting when Butcher is turning into Brandon Sanderson. Magical battles are cool and all that, and the title is Battle Ground, but chapters focusing on Harry and co duking it out with bad guys are getting a little redundant.

Just want to get to the good shit!

14 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Over 165 pages into BG and I'm enjoying it.

I was concerned that splitting the original manuscript into two installments would mean some filler material to pad BG with enough stuff to warrant a full novel, and that fear certainly became a reality. I mean, I like action as much as the next guy. But it's a little off-putting when Butcher is turning into Brandon Sanderson. Magical battles are cool and all that, and the title is Battle Ground, but chapters focusing on Harry and co duking it out with bad guys are getting a little redundant.

Just want to get to the good shit!

Please tell me this isn’t Butcher’s Memory of Light.  That book was so monotonous.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Please tell me this isn’t Butcher’s Memory of Light.  That book was so monotonous.

Hopefully not!

But so far at least, too many chapters focus solely on magical battles with assorted badass enemies, some we haven't seen in a long time, with just a quick payoff here and there.

C. T. says that lots of threads are addressed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just don't want the Battle for Chicago to last over 400 pages and then get about 20 pages of resolution and poignant scenes.

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Hopefully not!

But so far at least, too many chapters focus solely on magical battles with assorted badass enemies, some we haven't seen in a long time, with just a quick payoff here and there.

C. T. says that lots of threads are addressed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just don't want the Battle for Chicago to last over 400 pages and then get about 20 pages of resolution and poignant scenes.

Quite a bit of it is in the denouement. Basically, it requires the time for Harry to actually pause and think about events.

But yes, it is a long fight scene for a good 300 pages.

7 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:
  Hide contents

Quite a bit of it is in the denouement. Basically, it requires the time for Harry to actually pause and think about events.

But yes, it is a long fight scene for a good 300 pages.

Is it monotonous like Memory of Light?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it monotonous like Memory of Light?

I am so confused by this comment. If you're gonna pick out a WoT book for monotony at least make it Crossroads of Twilight.

Archived