Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 9/13/2020 at 8:36 AM, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

Also stuff that has been pending for several books/years like: 

1.  The Carpenters not knowing Molly is the winter lady. 

2. "Murphy's funeral".

3.  The second traitor on the White Council (the number in Egypt from Turn Coat). 

4.  The White Council finding out about the Grey Council (and the Grey Council actually doing something about the Black Council)

5.  Who is the British guy in Demonreach (said not to be Merlin). 

6.  Christos' affiliation. 

7.  Ferrovax and Odin 

8.  For that matter why didn't Odin see this coming?

9.  Starborns. 

Not expecting a lot or anything.  I already expect this will be the moment Dresden announces the irrefutable existence of magic to the mortal world. 

Okay, just finished BG. The aftermath is good, but not good enough to save the novel. Like A Memory of Light, BG is little more than a 300+ pages battle. 

It's too bad, for had it been published as a single work, Peace Talks would likely have been one of the best installment in the series, if not the best.

As for threads finally getting some resolution, only 3-4 of the above are addressed.

Overall, BG is a bit of a disappointment. But it does signal a transition of sorts, and it sets the stage for a LOT of shit to come. But it's mostly filler and not a whole lot of killer material. . .

Will still line up for the next one, though!

3 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Okay, just finished BG. The aftermath is good, but not good enough to save the novel. Like A Memory of Light, BG is little more than a 300+ pages battle. 

It's too bad, for had it been published as a single work, Peace Talks would likely have been one of the best installment in the series, if not the best.

As for threads finally getting some resolution, only 3-4 of the above are addressed.

Overall, BG is a bit of a disappointment. But it does signal a transition of sorts, and it sets the stage for a LOT of shit to come. But it's mostly filler and not a whole lot of killer material. . .

Will still line up for the next one, though!

Does it shift straight into Mirror Mirror?

4 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Thanks for the update.  I think the final consensus will be the same as your conclusion - the split reduced the overall quality.  But heartened to hear it finished strong. 

If only 3 of my questions get a resolution (particularly if its 1, 2, and a random pick) I'll be disappointed.  But if I get the answer to just one more question, well I can live with that.  

15 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Nope.

BG includes a short story at the end which recounts Harry's Christmas Eve a few months following the event that just took place.

It's online: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12hNgNIqJM5jqHqC-J-jfLA0WNDG2zEW8TrK_uPzpUJg/edit

Spoiler

It does imply that there is a major revelation exposed by Maggie for which Winter (Mab) owes her a debt.  Which might suggest it's a traitor within winter's own ranks.  But there are no winter characters onscreen except Mab and Molly. 

9 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Ooops, I didn't know it was available online. . .

Why put it in the book, then?

I suppose some fans might not know it was online. 

The other reason might be that the events of BG (which I haven't read) was so traumatic that a cathartic release was needed and I can see this short story fulfilling this function. 

[rant begins]

This book is coming out on Tuesday.  Can we pause for a moment to note how stupid that is? I would like nothing more than to spend the weekend reading it.  I have waited a very long time for this book - (I know it was mostly for Peace Talks but this is really Peace Talks Vol II so...).  It would be ideal if it could be released on a Friday.  But I'll take Saturday or hell even Sunday afternoon. 

But Tuesday (which is actually midnight on Monday EST) comes at the end of the busiest workday statistically.  Either you stay up half the night reading ruining your next workday (and rushing through the book). 

Or you wait and your anticipation builds and your friends and colleagues finish it and gloat.  You can't enjoy the first virgin rush of discussion, of finishing together.  You get there slowly, and when you cross the finish line no one notices or cares.  I mean this is some cruel mindfuckery right here. 

[rant ends]

Overall, I definitely think Battle Ground is the best book since Changes.

Frankly, I've felt Harry has been so far removed from Chicago, it was killing the series.

Now he's back in the trenches, fighting for the people of the city.

No more ghosts, no more island hermits, no more heists in other dimensions. Hopefully he can get back to detecting.

14 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I suppose some fans might not know it was online. 

The other reason might be that the events of BG (which I haven't read) was so traumatic that a cathartic release was needed and I can see this short story fulfilling this function. 

[rant begins]

This book is coming out on Tuesday.  Can we pause for a moment to note how stupid that is? I would like nothing more than to spend the weekend reading it.  I have waited a very long time for this book - (I know it was mostly for Peace Talks but this is really Peace Talks Vol II so...).  It would be ideal if it could be released on a Friday.  But I'll take Saturday or hell even Sunday afternoon. 

But Tuesday (which is actually midnight on Monday EST) comes at the end of the busiest workday statistically.  Either you stay up half the night reading ruining your next workday (and rushing through the book). 

Or you wait and your anticipation builds and your friends and colleagues finish it and gloat.  You can't enjoy the first virgin rush of discussion, of finishing together.  You get there slowly, and when you cross the finish line no one notices or cares.  I mean this is some cruel mindfuckery right here. 

[rant ends]

No point in staying up half the night for this one.

Seriously. Just one long, drawn, interminable battle involving pretty much every secondary character you can think of.

Just take it easy. The payoff is not worth losing sleep for.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

ROFL. As expected, it doesn't resolve the issues with Peace Talks, eh.

I'm not much of a fan of unending battles in novels. I'll probably speed through it Tuesday night since it doesn't appear it's gonna be all that gripping anyway. 

Wow.

The sadness, sorrow, anger, and shock from the battle's effects left me stunned in many places.

7 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Wow.

The sadness, sorrow, anger, and shock from the battle's effects left me stunned in many places.

I sincerely think you'll be in the minority regarding your love of that long battle.

Yes, there is some cool stuff here and there. But there's no denying that more than 300 pages of action was way too long.

12 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Wow.

If this is entirely a “battle royale” a al The Memory of Light it’s going to be monotonous.

As for your pinning for “case files” if Buchter drops the serial nature of the series and adopts an “episodic” nature that “case files” implies, I’m done.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If this is entirely a “battle royale” a al The Memory of Light it’s going to be monotonous.

As for your pinning for “case files” if Buchter drops the serial nature of the series and adopts an “episodic” nature that “case files” implies, I’m done.

It's pretty much that.

And with half the Chicago skyline destroyed and humanity now aware that the supernatural is all too real, I can't see the series reverting to case files. The Dresden Files will take on a new dimension and there's no way that Harry can go back to being a paranormal detective after a city of millions has been decimated by monsters outof fiary tales and myths and legends. . .

31 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's pretty much that.

And with half the Chicago skyline destroyed and humanity now aware that the supernatural is all too real, I can't see the series reverting to case files. The Dresden Files will take on a new dimension and there's no way that Harry can go back to being a paranormal detective after a city of millions has been decimated by monsters outof fiary tales and myths and legends. . .

Does Special Agent Tilley show up?

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's pretty much that.

Uh....that's not what happened.

Archived