Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

A question to those who have already completely read the book as I currently do not have the motivation to continue:

Reveal hidden contents

Do both of Harry's children get to have some screentime later in the book or is it just Maggie again?

Spoiler

Just Maggie.  But we do see Bob again.  

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:
  Hide contents

Considering her importance and the shitty way she died, I'm persuaded that Murphy will return later on in the series. She is Butcher's Jon Snow, methinks. . .

Spoiler

I hope not.  GRRM would have been better off leaving Jon Snow dead.  Tell me, now that we know the ending from the show, what was the point of that resurrection?  What did Jon do that made him Azar Ahai reborn?

1 minute ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

Just Maggie.  But we do see Bob again.  

Spoiler

Well more disappointment then. Seriously after being so important in Skin Game and despite being Harry's daughter she is just forgotten. Even if Butcher has no idea what to do with her, it would still be nice for Harry to actually think of her once in a while

6 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well more disappointment then. Seriously after being so important in Skin Game and despite being Harry's daughter she is just forgotten. Even if Butcher has no idea what to do with her, it would still be nice for Harry to actually think of her once in a while

Spoiler

I think, to be fair, this novel was already stuffed full of characters.  Virtually everyone (minus Elaine) had a walk-on part.  We will see more of her I hope.  And you should finish the book - because I'm really interested in what you make of the rest of it.  

Some more thoughts:

* I'm glad that Murphy is stated to not be coming back. It would cheapen her character to return and I think it's a solid and moving moment of the series. But I don't think I'm persuading anyone else on this.

* It's sad the times are that I don't think Rudolph will lose his badge or suffer any consequences for murdering an innocent woman.

* I think Jon Snow was meant to come back to kill Daenerys and unite the North. A lot of the books talk about how Azor Azhai must kill his wife to save the world. The problem is that seems like something that should happen BEFORE the apocalypse is resolved.

* I think Marcone becoming a Denarian is a terrible idea. It's a big twist, though. He really is obsessed with being Harry's archenemy despite the fact Harry barely considers him a foe.

* Justine/Nemesis really is obsessed about getting the Island's monsters released. This is the second time she's tried.

* I feel like the Drakul should have been Dracula rather than Drakul. It feels like a mistake on Jim's part.

* I really wish that Harry had told the White Council itself he was sick of their bullshit and not afraid of them.

* Poor Hendricks!

6 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Some more thoughts:

Hide contents

* I'm glad that Murphy is stated to not be coming back. It would cheapen her character to return and I think it's a solid and moving moment of the series. But I don't think I'm persuading anyone else on this.

* It's sad the times are that I don't think Rudolph will lose his badge or suffer any consequences for murdering an innocent woman.

* I think Jon Snow was meant to come back to kill Daenerys and unite the North. A lot of the books talk about how Azor Azhai must kill his wife to save the world. The problem is that seems like something that should happen BEFORE the apocalypse is resolved.

* I think Marcone becoming a Denarian is a terrible idea. It's a big twist, though. He really is obsessed with being Harry's archenemy despite the fact Harry barely considers him a foe.

* Justine/Nemesis really is obsessed about getting the Island's monsters released. This is the second time she's tried.

* I feel like the Drakul should have been Dracula rather than Drakul. It feels like a mistake on Jim's part.

* I really wish that Harry had told the White Council itself he was sick of their bullshit and not afraid of them.

* Poor Hendricks!

Spoiler

Regarding Marcone: I never got the impression that he regarded himself as Harry's archenemy. Sure he thinks of Harry a nuisance and a dangerous potential foe, but I never got the impression that there was much animosity on Marcone's part (maybe I should read his short story).

1 minute ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Some more thoughts:

Hide contents

* I'm glad that Murphy is stated to not be coming back. It would cheapen her character to return and I think it's a solid and moving moment of the series. But I don't think I'm persuading anyone else on this. [ I agree]

* It's sad the times are that I don't think Rudolph will lose his badge or suffer any consequences for murdering an innocent woman. [I hope not]

* I think Jon Snow was meant to come back to kill Daenerys and unite the North. A lot of the books talk about how Azor Azhai must kill his wife to save the world. The problem is that seems like something that should happen BEFORE the apocalypse is resolved. [Exactly.]

* I think Marcone becoming a Denarian is a terrible idea. It's a big twist, though. He really is obsessed with being Harry's archenemy despite the fact Harry barely considers him a foe. [yup. big twist.  have to say this was set-up years in advance. They both carried banners for Chicago in the battle, which I think means they will continue to fight over it as territory.]

* Justine/Nemesis really is obsessed about getting the Island's monsters released. This is the second time she's tried. [yeah, but not convinced her motives hang together.  She was already on the island previously].

* I feel like the Drakul should have been Dracula rather than Drakul. It feels like a mistake on Jim's part. [It's a plot inconsistency for sure.]

* I really wish that Harry had told the White Council itself he was sick of their bullshit and not afraid of them. [I think he did in his convo with Carlos]. 

* Poor Hendricks!  [Was his name Nathan or Cujo?]

11 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

A question for those who have finished.  What was the relevance of the conjuritis?

It's an opportunity for Harry to summon anvils on his foes like Bugs Bunny.

* Justine was on the island previously but as we see with Maeve, she can't just break the barriers and destroy it. Maeve required the power of two fairy queens [herself and Lily] to do it. So just being on the island isn't enough. I suspect she planned to use the Eye of Balor this time.

30 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mark my word, Murphy is coming back. Not in the next book or the one after, but she's coming back before the end.

Spoiler

I can see your logic in a return for the BAT.  What would it say about Harry that he would have forgotten her by then? Or maybe that rule is suspended for Ragnarok.  

22 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

I can see your logic in a return for the BAT.  What would it say about Harry that he would have forgotten her by then? Or maybe that rule is suspended for Ragnarok.  

Spoiler

Or maybe somethingsimilar to what Lea did to Susan in Grave Peril will happen to Harry

Forget that. It would not just be Harry who would need to forget her.

Spoiler

Reading these spoilers and some comments from other places where people have read the book it really feels like Butcher is jumping the shark hard here. I've never bailed out on a long running series like this before but I was already on the edge after the unmitigated disappointment of Peace Talks and wow this is sounding very not good... I'm feeling pretty unmotivated to read this right now but I suppose I'll grab the ebook to read over the weekend to make mind up once I've read it for myself.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:
  Hide contents

Reading these spoilers and some comments from other places where people have read the book it really feels like Butcher is jumping the shark hard here. I've never bailed out on a long running series like this before but I was already on the edge after the unmitigated disappointment of Peace Talks and wow this is sounding very not good... I'm feeling pretty unmotivated to read this right now but I suppose I'll grab the ebook to read over the weekend to make mind up once I've read it for myself.

Given it's easily in my Top 5 DF books, maybe top 3, may I ask what you didn't like? We got some genuine answers, some movement on the main plot, big dramatic shifts to the status quo, and some truly moving scenes.

It's undeniably a great book.

So what's the problem?

8 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:
  Hide contents

Mark my word, Murphy is coming back. Not in the next book or the one after, but she's coming back before the end.

Spoiler

What are you talking about? She's totally dead. She died in battle with a Norse giant. It's not like this series has dead warriors hanging out. In some Valhalla-like location. Absolutely no way she can come back. 

1 hour ago, AverageGuy said:
  Hide contents

What are you talking about? She's totally dead. She died in battle with a Norse giant. It's not like this series has dead warriors hanging out. In some Valhalla-like location. Absolutely no way she can come back. 

Sadly, they specifically addressed that in a way that preclude any possibility while not leaving it too depressing.

Archived