Jump to content

Dresden Files (most recent thread is archived) Peace Talks is finished


Ser Scot A Ellison
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Meh.  I have hated that hat for more than a decade.

I'm not even sure I remember the hat being described in the books.  Its almost like the artist just doesn't like to draw hair.  :lol:

Honestly, if Harry wore a hat regularly don't you think we'd be more than familiar with it?  He'd be grabbing it non stop like Indiana Jones as a giant boulder nearly crushes him.  Or the hat would have lots of protective spells woven into it to protect from mental assaults or some such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm reading through these for the first time and i really like them.  at first, i found the style terse but i now believe that to be a consequence of all the dense prose i'd been reading prior to starting.  i'm currently on dead beat, so i have a ways to go, but if i accomplish nothing else of note this year, i'm going to be ready for the release of peace talks.

i enjoy the cases...and who doesn't like wizards and supernatural monsters but if i had to pin it down to one thing it would have to be the dialogue.  very well done, imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dornish prince said:

i'm reading through these for the first time and i really like them.  at first, i found the style terse but i now believe that to be a consequence of all the dense prose i'd been reading prior to starting.  i'm currently on dead beat, so i have a ways to go, but if i accomplish nothing else of note this year, i'm going to be ready for the release of peace talks.

i enjoy the cases...and who doesn't like wizards and supernatural monsters but if i had to pin it down to one thing it would have to be the dialogue.  very well done, imo

I was a latecomer as well.  I also enjoy the series.  The dialogue is really good and I like Butcher’s take on his mythos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dresden Files "Microfiction" a page from Warden Donald Morgan's Journal (it's very interesting):

https://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2020/morgan-microfiction-rpg-art-and-more



 

It is interesting!  And sets up a lot of really fascinating possibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harry/Molly is very Woody Allen'esque.

Karrin is a much better partner. They may have started as friends, but JB has done a good job of their change in feelings. 

From the excerpt looks like the peace conference will be between Fomors vs Wizards maybe. I need to go back to the novellas to refresh my memory of Fomors. 

Spoiler

Can Fomor Servitors summon outsiders? They are ex-humans after all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Eric Cartman said:

Harry/Molly is very Woody Allen'esque.

Karrin is a much better partner. They may have started as friends, but JB has done a good job of their change in feelings. 

From the excerpt looks like the peace conference will be between Fomors vs Wizards maybe. I need to go back to the novellas to refresh my memory of Fomors. 

  Reveal hidden contents

Can Fomor Servitors summon outsiders? They are ex-humans after all. 

 

I think the difference between an adult man and a adult woman in a consensual relationship long after they had any sort of mentor/student relationship (as in a DECADE) is so different that it's kind of an insulting comparison. At this point, it's like comparing Luccio and Morgan.

I think Molly may now be THIRTY,

How infantalizing is that? I think people forget these books happen in real time.

Edited by C.T. Phipps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think the difference between an adult man and a adult woman in a consensual relationship long after they had any sort of mentor/student relationship (as in a DECADE) is so different that it's kind of an insulting comparison. At this point, it's like comparing Luccio and Morgan.

I think Molly may now be THIRTY,

How infantalizing is that? I think people forget these books happen in real time.

It's not Molly's age exactly that's yucky but the way the relationship started as teacher-mentor and the fact that Molly hasn't had any significant relationships in her life because of her Harry-fixation.  Luccio and Morgan never dated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think the difference between an adult man and a adult woman in a consensual relationship long after they had any sort of mentor/student relationship (as in a DECADE) is so different that it's kind of an insulting comparison. At this point, it's like comparing Luccio and Morgan.

I think Molly may now be THIRTY,

How infantalizing is that? I think people forget these books happen in real time.

https://www.jim-butcher.com/timeline

Per Jim Butcher timelines, Molly is 17 at Proven Guilty (Harry is 32) (give or take a year) when she tries to act on her crush to Harry. She's probably right at age of consent or a year younger at best. Harry shuts it down and calls her padawan which establishes the relationship, which is proper thing to do considering their background.

Edited by Eric Cartman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It's not Molly's age exactly that's yucky but the way the relationship started as teacher-mentor and the fact that Molly hasn't had any significant relationships in her life because of her Harry-fixation.  Luccio and Morgan never dated. 

I'm not sure Molly hasn't had any relationships, so much as they've never been as important to her as Harry. As we see with Morgan, "Lifelong love of your mentor" is a thing in the universe. As Bob said, Molly loves Harry and that's not ever going to change and any relationships will be measured against that.

Edited by C.T. Phipps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eric Cartman said:

https://www.jim-butcher.com/timeline

Per Jim Butcher timelines, Molly is 17 at Proven Guilty (Harry is 32) (give or take a year) when she tries to act on her crush to Harry. She's probably right at age of consent or a year younger at best. Harry shuts it down and calls her padawan which establishes the relationship, which is proper thing to do considering their background.

The thing is that was 14 years ago as of PEACE TALKS. Molly is now 31 and Harry's boss. She hasn't been his student in over a decade.

Edited by C.T. Phipps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think the difference between an adult man and a adult woman in a consensual relationship long after they had any sort of mentor/student relationship (as in a DECADE) is so different that it's kind of an insulting comparison. At this point, it's like comparing Luccio and Morgan.

I think Molly may now be THIRTY,

How infantalizing is that? I think people forget these books happen in real time.

You cannot take away the fact that Harry and Molly were Teacher and Student.  That will always be an impediment to any romantic relationship between them.  I respect Harry for not going there.  The books are no longer happening in "real time".  The will only be a few weeks between Skin Game and Peace Talks.  

What did you think of the "Micro-Fiction" journal of Donald Morgan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked it, albeit not as much as the Harry Dresden Christmas where Mab gave his daughter the powers of Elsa.

It indicates that Morgan was a lot more reasonable and well-informed than Harry thought.

However, it also indicates that Morgan SHOULD have informed Harry (or Luccio) about Nemesis. As keeping that to yourself is a horrible horrible idea.

I also wonder why the Wardens didn't go after Justin DuMorne, who was a Warden himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I liked it, albeit not as much as the Harry Dresden Christmas where Mab gave his daughter the powers of Elsa.

It indicates that Morgan was a lot more reasonable and well-informed than Harry thought.

However, it also indicates that Morgan SHOULD have informed Harry (or Luccio) about Nemesis. As keeping that to yourself is a horrible horrible idea.

I also wonder why the Wardens didn't go after Justin DuMorne, who was a Warden himself.

Is Justin alive?  The micro fiction certain implies he could be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My big issue is that I think making the villains mind-controlled is a cheat as it deprives them of any real motivation. I'm quite fond of Cowl as a villain and finding out he's just one of the mentally tainted bad guys would be a real disappointment whether he's Simon or Justin both. Note that Justin being alive was also the plot for Season One of the Dresden Files TV show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The thing is that was 14 years ago as of PEACE TALKS. Molly is now 31 and Harry's boss. She hasn't been his student in over a decade.

Not sure how you calculate that. Molly became Winter Lady in Cold Days. Peace Talks is set 2 years after Cold Days...and that how long she's been his boss for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...