UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm going to be nicer on the board. I just got totally wiped out on my bike on way home. Karma. 

Yikes, hope you're mostly all in one piece.

It's not been a great 24 hours for the Tory party.

As well as suspending one of their ministers there is also the successful recall petition in Wales after an MP fraudulently claimed expenses for landscape photographs for his office. If they lose the resulting by-election then their majority will fall even further, meaning only 2 MPs would need to defect for them to be defeated.

Still, at least our Next Prime Minister hasn't been generating any awkward headlines...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/police-called-to-loud-altercation-at-boris-johnsons-home

The neighbour said they recorded the altercation from inside their flat out of concern for Symonds. On the recording, heard by the Guardian, Johnson can be heard refusing to leave the flat and telling Symonds to “get off my fucking laptop” before there is a loud crashing noise.

Symonds is heard saying Johnson had ruined a sofa with red wine: “You just don’t care for anything because you’re spoilt. You have no care for money or anything.”

The neighbour said: “There was a smashing sound of what sounded like plates. There was a couple of very loud screams that I’m certain were Carrie and she was shouting to ‘get out’ a lot. She was saying ‘get out of my flat’ and he was saying no. And then there was silence after the screaming. My partner, who was in bed half asleep, had heard a loud bang and the house shook.”

36 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Symonds is heard saying Johnson had ruined a sofa with red wine: “You just don’t care for anything because you’re spoilt. You have no care for money or anything.”

Let's all just act surprised at somebody screaming that at Johnson, Cameron or Mogg. I mean, d'uh.

Johnson imploding after making it to the final two would be much funnier, if that wouldn't mean your next PM is Jeremy fucking Cunt by default. Yes, let that sink in. PM Jeremy Hunt.

Sorry.

In the interests of balance, Jeremy Hunt also has his own bad quotes to deal with:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-48718498

Conservative leadership contender Jeremy Hunt failed to keep his promise to a man with terminal cancer during his time as health secretary, an inquiry was told.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Let's all just act surprised at somebody screaming that at Johnson, Cameron or Mogg. I mean, d'uh.

Johnson imploding after making it to the final two would be much funnier, if that wouldn't mean your next PM is Jeremy fucking Cunt by default. Yes, let that sink in. PM Jeremy Hunt.

Sorry.

It's horrific enough to make us nostalgic for Theresa May's premiership, and she hasn't even left yet.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You act as if being police in 2019 is something to be proud of. LMFAO.

There's no need to be so absolutest about this. There are good and bad cops, just like there are good and bad teachers, lawyers, judges, businessmen etc.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm off to the pub to do some toot, act a bit cunty and break some laws. It's been really enlightening. 

Is biking after drinking illegal in the U.K. like it is here? Because if so you did just self snitch on illegal activities being committed by a cop.

:P

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sorry.

All options are terrible.  however I think I'd prefer Hunt over Boris.  Simply because Boris is popular with certain demographics and it people might vote for him in an general election.  Boris can generate a passionate voting fan base.  Hunt cannot.

Yes Hunt can and will do a lot of damage before the next election, but so will Boris.

Its times like this I'm nostalgic for direct rule by the Monarchy.  I mean if this is the result of democracy maybe a dictatorship wouldn't be so bad.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You act as if being police in 2019 is something to be proud of. LMFAO.

This isn't America. British police aren't a company of angels and for sure there's some bad cunts too but for the most part they're... well, they're fine.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

This isn't America. British police aren't a company of angels and for sure there's some bad cunts too but for the most part they're... well, they're fine.

Corruption, brutality, spying, drug dealing, corruption, institutionalized racism, suppression of evidence, framing of innocents, and more corruption.  All a growing problem for forces across the country, apparently. 

The shocking truth about police corruption in Britain

Imagine you lived in a country which last year had 3,000 allegations of police corruption. Worse, imagine that of these 3,000 allegations only half of them were properly investigated — because for police officers in this country, corruption was becoming routine. Imagine that the police increasingly used their powers to crack down not on criminals but on anyone who dared speak out against them. What sort of a country is this? Well, it’s Britain I’m afraid — where what was once the finest, most honest service in the world is in danger of becoming rotten.

Some of this was revealed in a little-noticed report by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary, which went on to deliver some even more shocking news. Nearly half of 17,200 officers and staff surveyed said that if they discovered corruption among their colleagues and chose to report it, they didn’t believe their evidence would be treated in confidence and would fear ‘adverse consequences’. This appalling lack of protection for whistle-blowers — often amounting to persecution — has become commonplace throughout the public services and creates a climate in which dishonesty and malpractice flourish.

The second report, compiled by the Serious Organised Crime Agency, bears this out. It says there has been a sharp increase over the past five years in the number of police officers dealing heroin, cocaine and amphetamines and an equally startling rise in the number of officers abusing their power ‘for sexual gratification’ — in other words bullying or cajoling suspects, witnesses and even victims into having sex with them.

Just this week, in fact, it emerged that the Met suspended 73 coppers, community support officers and other staff on corruption charges in the past two years. They cited drug crimes, bribery, theft, fraud, sexual misconduct and — everybody’s favourite — un-authorised disclosure of information. Eleven were convicted in court, but what happened to the others? The Met spokesman said rather blandly that some were allowed to resign or retire (presumably with full pension rights) and some were dismissed.

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I see Miss Rees Mogg is new to world of having a job, and being provided the tools necessary to do it with.

Complaining about the corruption involved in the EU giving MEPs things like office space and iPads (whilst making no mention of actual corrupt things like illegal campaign donations etc)

The corruption in Brussels is so obvious to anyone with half an eye open. This is my favourite story recently- https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-vegan-steaks

Now I've seen plenty of deliberately obnoxious carnivores on the internet, but I've never even seen anyone even pretend to have a slight problem with the term "veggie burger". 

Although this is one case where I think I'd rather they were bought and sold by the meat industry, rather than them actually being idiotic enough to think that it's a good idea to ban these terms. 

It's a shame these eurosceptic MPs refuse to do any actual work- very principled to just take the paychecks. Still, hopefully soon Miss Rees-Mogg will be out of a job, and this committee will have to cope without British contributions.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is biking after drinking illegal in the U.K. like it is here? Because if so you did just self snitch on illegal activities being committed by a cop.

:P

I was on the way to the pub. So never got to be drunk in charge of a pedal cycle. 

6 hours ago, mankytoes said:

The corruption in Brussels is so obvious to anyone with half an eye open. This is my favourite story recently- https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-vegan-steaks

Now I've seen plenty of deliberately obnoxious carnivores on the internet, but I've never even seen anyone even pretend to have a slight problem with the term "veggie burger". 

Although this is one case where I think I'd rather they were bought and sold by the meat industry, rather than them actually being idiotic enough to think that it's a good idea to ban these terms. 

It's a shame these eurosceptic MPs refuse to do any actual work- very principled to just take the paychecks. Still, hopefully soon Miss Rees-Mogg will be out of a job, and this committee will have to cope without British contributions.

Hopefully we can get Brexit over and done with so the EU can get back to making important decisions like this

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

It's not been a great 24 hours for the Tory party.

As well as suspending one of their ministers there is also the successful recall petition in Wales after an MP fraudulently claimed expenses for landscape photographs for his office. If they lose the resulting by-election then their majority will fall even further, meaning only 2 MPs would need to defect for them to be defeated.

Still, at least our Next Prime Minister hasn't been generating any awkward headlines...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/police-called-to-loud-altercation-at-boris-johnsons-home

What sort of scum bag records their neighbours arguing and then sells it to a newspaper? 

And the question is , is this even news?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

What sort of scum bag records their neighbours arguing and then sells it to a newspaper? 

I’m unsurprised to find that the least of your concerns is a woman potentials suffering domestic abuse.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Is what could potentially have been domestic violence by the favoured candidate to be he next PM news? Of course it is, but i’m sure you have some kind of spurious reasons why it isnt to spew out

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Is what could potentially have been domestic violence by the favoured candidate to be he next PM news? Of course it is, but i’m sure you have some kind of spurious reasons why it isnt to spew out

Given how many women have accused Trump of assaulting them without him suffering consequences for it, it’s hardly surprising that his British counterpart can get his supporters to minimise similar things.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It however should not really be news to anyone that Boris is rather deplorable towards Women.  In a way its a bit like the news the Pope is Catholic.

Archived