UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

Is Boris just realising that now really isn't the time to be PM and the time to be Tory leader / PM is after Brexit when you get to pretend to fix all the shit that someone else made? So he's self sabotaging?

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is Boris just realising that now really isn't the time to be PM and the time to be Tory leader / PM is after Brexit when you get to pretend to fix all the shit that someone else made? So he's self sabotaging?

His BBC interview was an absolute car crash. On Brexit, he hasn't got anything other than more unicorns. Utterly useless.

And I'm sorry, but anyone expecting to become Prime Minister must be prepared for a forensic character examination. That includes how you treat your wife/girlfriends/mistresses, but more importantly, your children. Johnson refuses to say how many children he has fathered. Current estimates seem to be around 4 to 6, but nobody can say for sure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48744647

The EU Commission has complained to the UK government over obstacles that prevented many EU citizens from voting in the UK in the European elections.

There was much anger among UK-resident voters from other member states, who found they could not vote on 23 May.

In a letter to the UK Cabinet Office, seen by the BBC, an EU commissioner said those voters faced "a number of obstacles to participation".

The UK government says it "took all the legal steps necessary" before the vote.

EU Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova said in her letter of 21 June that the UK had "the obligation to respect the right to vote of EU citizens and to take the measures necessary to ensure such voting rights can be effectively exercised".

She said that in the 2014 European elections "the same problems were encountered by Union citizens" wishing to vote in the UK. Moreover, she said, the UK had pledged to remedy those issues before the May 2019 elections.

EU citizens in UK turned away from polls

Within hours of the polling booths opening, the hashtag #deniedmyvote was trending on Twitter, with EU citizens saying they had been turned away from polling stations in the UK.

Ms Jourova noted that the UK authorities had faced "practical challenges" in organising the elections to the European Parliament, since the UK had been preparing to exit the EU on 29 March, but on 11 April the EU had agreed to extend the deadline to 31 October.

She asked the UK government to provide information about the obstacles that EU voters had faced in the UK, as well as data "on the incidents reported and the complaints lodged with the UK authorities".

The UK hosts about 3.2m nationals from the other 27 member states, while about 1.3m UK citizens live elsewhere in the EU.

17 hours ago, mormont said:

The first paragraph is perfectly true, but the second is nonsense. It's absolutely clear that Johnson is racist, homophobic and a bigot: it's absolutely clear that he has a record of very poor behaviour in his personal life of which this latest incident, which was witnessed (and yes, overhearing it counts), is merely the last in a long line. There is a common theme between the two, as well - Johnson is simply arrogant, and it leads to both his incompetence, laziness and grasping ambition as a politician as well has his poor treatment of others in his private life.

But you see he wasn’t serious when he argued for bigoted ideas because he's known to try to be humorous(meaning no idea he argues for could ever be seen as genuine)  and a lot of people still like him so he can’t be justifiably called a bigot. 

So, what if he argued colonialism was/would be a good thing? He definitely didn’t mean it. He never means any bigoted shit he says. So he uses racial slurs to describe blacks in a criticism of political figures. That means nothing. A lot of people likes that so again nothing racist there,

Honestly, I imagine much of the defense    some give in response to others saying the man is a bigot is that it would say a large faction of society either is apathetic towards racism or more racist than they’d care to admit given his  ability to still hold a high position in government or society.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Honestly, I imagine much of the defense    some give in response to others saying the man is a bigot is that it would say a large faction of society either is apathetic towards racism or more racist than they’d care to admit given his  ability to still hold a high position in government or society.

Indeed. Isn't that the essence of all racism? People think racist shit is just normal, and since they aren't racist, it means normal can't be racist either.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

is that it would say a large faction of society either is apathetic towards racism or more racist than they’d care to admit given his  ability to still hold a high position in government or society.

Absolutely that. I was arguing with a dude on twitter the other day because I said the Brexit party are racist and he said they can't possibly be racist look how many people voted for them. Was genuinely not able to take it that all those voters are either outright racist or are willing to accept racism if they get what they want, ie Brexit.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Indeed. Isn't that the essence of all racism? People think racist shit is just normal, and since they aren't racist, it means normal can't be racist either.

Sort of. I would say “natural” instead of normal.  Blacks are *naturally* prone to crime. So it’s not racist to think/say that. It’s not bigotry if it’s “true” is the logic I often see parroted immediately after.

Though I’ll be honest my main point was that many people would deny bigotry as a pervasive problem as it is by virtue of them simply not wanting that to be the case. 

I remember reading a web-comic, a slice of life sort of thing, and one of the panels, had the joke be how no one really minds same-sex couplings. Like a lesbian couple was kissing in the park and the joke was in the modern era no one really gets mad at that-totally ignoring all the evidence of homophobia still being a real problem in society. 

Imo this behavior poses a huge risk. Because it helps allow actual bigots to enact their bigotry in actually meaningful ways.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Absolutely that. I was arguing with a dude on twitter the other day because I said the Brexit party are racist and he said they can't possibly be racist look how many people voted for them. Was genuinely not able to take it that all those voters are either outright racist or are willing to accept racism if they get what they want, ie Brexit.

Please, it’s not racism-it’s just Brits want to protect their culture. How exactly would immigrants consisting of mostly Secular white Christians, would negatively impact or even change the ability of average citizens to practice said culture IDK but just know it has nothing to do with racism.

But seriously, that’s what I’m talking about. Awknowledging that bigotry is still a problem in society is an uncomfortable notion. It feels good to think such things have been basically been eradicated. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

todays 'bear shits in woods news' Britain is still not remotely a meritocracy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48745333

I think the issue here is really that anyone with even a modicum of money behind them would be terrified of sending their children to a comprehensive school, for fear of ruining their child's life, and condemning them to working in a supermarket forever. 

It doesn't surprise me that so many oxbridge sorts end up going into roles that are either traditionally snobby elite jobs. I'm also unsurprised how many kids who go to private school end up as pop stars or film stars, basically jobs where you cannot survive on the pay unless you become very successful, but it doesn't matter if money is not an issue for you.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Sort of. I would say “natural” instead of normal.  Blacks are *naturally* prone to crime. So it’s not racist to think/say that. It’s not bigotry if it’s “true” is the logic I often see parroted immediately after.

Though I’ll be honest my main point was that many people would deny bigotry as a pervasive problem as it is by virtue of them simply not wanting that to be the case. 

I remember reading a web-comic, a slice of life sort of thing, and one of the panels, had the joke be how no one really minds same-sex couplings. Like a lesbian couple was kissing in the park and the joke was in the modern era no one really gets mad at that-totally ignoring all the evidence of homophobia still being a real problem in society. 

Imo this behavior poses a huge risk. Because it helps allow actual bigots to enact their bigotry in actually meaningful ways.

Please, it’s not racism-it’s just Brits want to protect their culture. How exactly would immigrants consisting of mostly Secular white Christians, would negatively impact or even change the ability of average citizens to practice said culture IDK but just know it has nothing to do with racism.

But seriously, that’s what I’m talking about. Awknowledging that bigotry is still a problem in society is an uncomfortable notion. It feels good to think such things have been basically been eradicated. 

Broadly speaking, voters will tolerate most sentiments in politicians, provided they are expressed by a member of their own side, and provided that person remains a loyal member of their own side.  I'm as guilty of that as the next voter.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I think the issue here is really that anyone with even a modicum of money behind them would be terrified of sending their children to a comprehensive school, for fear of ruining their child's life, and condemning them to working in a supermarket forever. 

It doesn't surprise me that so many oxbridge sorts end up going into roles that are either traditionally snobby elite jobs. I'm also unsurprised how many kids who go to private school end up as pop stars or film stars, basically jobs where you cannot survive on the pay unless you become very successful, but it doesn't matter if money is not an issue for you.

My step-son has had a successful career as a dancer.  There's no way he could have done, however talented, without parents who were prepared to finance his training.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

todays 'bear shits in woods news' Britain is still not remotely a meritocracy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48745333

Also, Hollywood actress gets £2.4 million house renovations paid for by the taxpayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48746609

To be fair, she didn't get the handout because she's a [former] Hollywood actor. If it didn't have racist overtones the term welfare queen would almost fit. Though it's nigh on impossible that she will ever be Queen. Lizzy is definitely the welfare queen though. £34 million taxpayer money to do R&M on her house. Wish I could have got some tax money to put a new roof on my place.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

"Sixty million people can't be racist!" say Trump voters. Yeah, sixty million of you didn't think racism, misogyny, sexual assault, and a life of corruption were deal-breakers.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Broadly speaking, voters will tolerate most sentiments in politicians, provided they are expressed by a member of their own side, and provided that person remains a loyal member of their own side.  I'm as guilty of that as the next voter.

I’m not really talking about people merely wanting to deny the faults of their own side.

I would fully acknowledge people across the political spectrum are guilty of that.

My issue is this denial of evidence showing bigotry is not a rarity in society because of a want of society be so enlightened already.

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed across the political lines. 

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Interesting thread on the impact of a No-Deal Brexit on the Northern Irish fishing industry. Basically, it would devastate it, adding so many layers of cost and bureaucracy that large stretches of the business would become effectively unviable.

Worth it. Because we have to protect the country’s culture from those yucky immigrants who’re ruining it by daring to want to be there.

There is a small cheerful element in Boris Johnson becoming PM, his incompetence and total lack of plan coming fully into the light during this campaign, his weakness and idiocy and pratfalls on everything from staged photos falling foul of haircuts and weird bus painting hobbies suggests his premiership will be catastrophic, very short and will finally demonstrate that brexit is a no-hope, no plan endeavour. 

maybe
can't underestimate the stupidity of his supporters i guess. 

48 minutes ago, Nevarfeather said:

There is a small cheerful element in Boris Johnson becoming PM, his incompetence and total lack of plan coming fully into the light during this campaign, his weakness and idiocy and pratfalls on everything from staged photos falling foul of haircuts and weird bus painting hobbies suggests his premiership will be catastrophic, very short and will finally demonstrate that brexit is a no-hope, no plan endeavour. 

maybe
can't underestimate the stupidity of his supporters i guess. 

If he continues to perform as badly as he does done to date in the campaign, then I expect he will not win.

Archived