UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

todays 'bear shits in woods news' Britain is still not remotely a meritocracy 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48745333

Also, Hollywood actress gets £2.4 million house renovations paid for by the taxpayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48746609

Even worse is that the Oxbridge graduates that you have vying to run your country are lacking in the intellectual ability to actually do so despite their  "education'. I don't know  if you are aware of the scandal in the US about parents buying their childrens' way into 'elite' universities by cheating on entrance exams, but it does show that meritocracy does not exist in too many places.

I am resisting the urge to put in yet again a link to Monty Python's  Upper Class Twit of the Year Award. I suspect it would be redundant as we are seeing it in real life.

Just a small correction. Meghan Markle  did her work in Toronto, not Hollywood.

Just now, maarsen said:

Even worse is that the Oxbridge graduates that you have vying to run your country are lacking in the intellectual ability to actually do so despite their  "education'. I don't know  if you are aware of the scandal in the US about parents buying their childrens' way into 'elite' universities by cheating on entrance exams, but it does show that meritocracy does not exist in too many places.

I am resisting the urge to put in yet again a link to Monty Python's  Upper Class Twit of the Year Award. I suspect it would be redundant as we are seeing it in real life.

Just a small correction. Meghan Markle  did her work in Toronto, not Hollywood.

One of the problems I think is at the heart of this stuff is the 'career politician' that has almost no understanding of life outside of their Westminster bubble, who bumbles around from post to post, no real grasp of how any dept works, whose only real skill is learning to avoid saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. 

It feels like our whole system is set up to give these people an easy smooth ride into power.

38 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If he continues to perform as badly as he does done to date in the campaign, then I expect he will not win.

You underestimate Tory party members maybe?
Judging by the boos for Iain Dale when he questioned Boris about his private life. Suggests they love their little demagogue still. 

47 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Well, you know the saying. Nothing is more dangerous than an idiot with an education.

But yes, you can add Cameron and Corbyn on the educated idiot list, and it really makes you question the value of higher education.

Nobody bothered to mention Clegg's current gig as facebooks mouthpiece, eh, spokesperson. Not sure if this is as bad as him breaking the tuition fee pledge. However, just wanted to say Facebook sucks.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

If he continues to perform as badly as he does done to date in the campaign, then I expect he will not win.

No idea why you think that. Ordinary voters may care, but as far as I can determine, the people with a vote in this election don't care a bit.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think the issue here is really that anyone with even a modicum of money behind them would be terrified of sending their children to a comprehensive school, for fear of ruining their child's life, and condemning them to working in a supermarket forever. 

It doesn't surprise me that so many oxbridge sorts end up going into roles that are either traditionally snobby elite jobs. I'm also unsurprised how many kids who go to private school end up as pop stars or film stars, basically jobs where you cannot survive on the pay unless you become very successful, but it doesn't matter if money is not an issue for you.

I think there’s a stigma attatched to sending your children to private school with some people, sure I get that it’s an unfair advantage but at the same time who wouldn’t want the best for their child.

I will be sending my daughter to one when she’s old enough purely because I want her to have the best start in life.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

The Tory membership polling still puts him on a comfortable win, I believe, although Hunt's surprisingly strong campaign has seen him narrow the lead. If that continues over the next few weeks, Boris may be in trouble, but if Boris can keep his nose clean I suspect he'll still win.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Tory membership polling still puts him on a comfortable win, I believe, although Hunt's surprisingly strong campaign has seen him narrow the lead. If that continues over the next few weeks, Boris may be in trouble, but if Boris can keep his nose clean I suspect he'll still win.

Somewhere Michael Gove agrees.

Anyway, don't count out my power of jinxing Tories. And you guys wanted me to cheer for Johnson.

Go Boris!

27 minutes ago, mormont said:

No idea why you think that. Ordinary voters may care, but as far as I can determine, the people with a vote in this election don't care a bit.

I'd say his support is wide, but not deep, among Conservative members.  Lots of them do not really trust him.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

There’s nothing new here. This has been going on since people were able to go to college. Hell, two of the last three U.S. presidents had their daddies buy their way into elite Ivy League schools.

24 minutes ago, mormont said:

Out of curiosity.

Do you really think it makes a difference which of those two clowns gets to take the wheel? Big overarching issue is (and will be for the foreseeable future) Brexit. Whoever gets voted in will deliver a tough conference speech shortly before he is about to board plane to Brussels. Once he arrives there, he will be put down by reality. The Tories can dig up the bones of Thatcher and send her to Brussels, or Mickey Mouse for all I know it'll make no difference whatsoever.

So you can also enjoy the Tories flipping off Charles Darwin with their surival of the unfittest competition.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But yes, you can add Cameron and Corbyn on the educated idiot list, and it really makes you question the value of higher education.

Corbyn didn't go to university.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I suspect you're probably right. Commitment to Brexit is likely to be more important than any other consideration for many of the Tory members and even if some of them might not entirely trust Boris' commitment to it, he probably still wins over a former Remainer like Hunt. There have been allegations that some of his supporters were voting tactically to knock out Raab and Gove, if Boris had been facing one of his former allies from the Leave campaign then he might be in more trouble now.

28 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's yet another twist. You can be sure there's at least one ginormous skeleton locked in Johnson's cupboard, just waiting to be freed. 

“But why is this even newsworthy...”

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

Corbyn didn't go to university.

Technically speaking, he did. He just dropped out. But of course, in the narrow sense, I had mind and implied (him being a university grad) you are correct, and I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Technically speaking, he did. He just dropped out. But of course, in the narrow sense, I had mind and implied (him being a university grad) you are correct, and I stand corrected.

+1 for pedantry

+3 for being on the interent and admitting being wrong

+10 for being in the internet and admitting being wrong despite having a pedantic get-out-of-jail card

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's yet another twist. You can be sure there's at least one ginormous skeleton locked in Johnson's cupboard, just waiting to be freed. 

On the one hand, Johnson's skeletons - infidelity, incompetence, bigoted comments, untrustworthiness, corruption - are already lying all over the place and Tory voters just step over them. On the other, you're probably right that there are many more.

A lot of people were bemused by Boris saying he made buses as a hobby yesterday, but today typing "Borish Johnson bus" into Google now reveals that the Red Bus of Lies has been pushed down from 1st to 5th on the results list, which is interesting. Intentional?

I caught a glimpse of a headline that says BoJo claims the chance of a no-deal Brexit is a million to 1.

2 things: BoJo confirms there is a chance of no-deal Brexit with BoJo as PM; and if he gets to 30 October without something other than no-deal on offer, does the chance of no-deal Brexit become 100%?

Archived