UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

Just having a look at the parliamentary maths: https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/current-state-of-the-parties/.

Conservative + DUP have 321/650 seats

Sinn Féin and Speaker don't vote (excepting tie-breaks for Bercow)

Everyone else has 320 seats.

There's 1 vacant in Brecon where they fired their tory MP, and the Tories are standing him again. PC, Green, CHUK and Renew (who?) have all stood aside in favour of the Lib Dem candidate who leads polls by 15%. This by-election is due 1st of August.

As of lunchtime today, Boris will have a "workable" majority of 1 (assuming no immediate resignations); which will most likely be down to 0 by the time they get back from holiday.

Q1: How many Tory MPs will resign the whip within 24 hours of Boris being announced? So before recess and the chance to kick-start a GE straight away - there's time post-recess, but barely.

Q2: Are there any independents that Boris could negotiate with to support the government? most are ex-labour and ex-conservative, so I doubt it, but there may be 1-2 out there.

Q3: What happens if Boris can't commant a majority in parliament? Can he try his hand at minority governing (and can we imagine many worse candidates for doing so?) Or does he have to go to the queen and tell her that he can't build a government, and call a GE?

Q4: When Boris tries to deny reality and try a minority government - how long before someone else calls for a vote of no-confidence and force a GE?

Q5: How do potential Tory defections (whether to LibDem or independent, can't see CHUK getting any) change the maths? How about if they're big names.

Obviously, a GE doesn't solve anything, and will necessitate a grand-coalition of some description, probably involving 3 parties (Con + BnP + DUP could probably exist, albeit only in nightmares; but Lab + LibDem + SNP would slmost certainly require Corbyn's resignation)

This had been coming for over three years now.

Part of me wants to re-enact a scene from Trainspotting with our chaircat (or any other Tory boarder for that matter) here.

Aren't you proud to be a Tory?

But I don't think this would go down particularly well right now, so I will refrain from pulling the proverbial tiger by whiskers.

But really now, Boris Alexandre de Pfeffel Johnson? If that won't restore confidence in British politics around the globe, then I don't know what will. A crazy PM for crazy times. But really spare a thought now for Larry the cat. From a strong and stable, ok, reliable tin opener, to Boris effing Johnson? I guess we are about to find out, whether a cat can become an alcoholic.

As much as I wouldn't want to work for the Thatched Fool either, and I admire them for resigning for their principles, doesn't the mass exodus of "decent" (advisory scare quotes) Tories means that we'll be left with a Cabinet of the Damned and Delusional?

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fuck! Does this mean we can’t laugh at the Americans anymore, now that we’ve got our own dishonest, philandering shitbag?

Oh come on this racist idiot will make Britain great again. 

1 hour ago, ants said:

I still can’t quite believe it. 

I’ve come to expect any sort of lunacy from the UK they decided to launch itself in financial turmoil with the justification of “preserving our culture” from being destroyed those icky immigrants. 

@Mosi Mynn

Does it matter?

I know I have been beating that drum for the entirety of the Tory Clown Car Driver Contest.

Nothing has really changed. To put it another way, just because Aston Villa change their manager and coaching staff, won't mean they will win the EPL. It doesn't really affect the other players (clubs) involved in the league.

In the same sense, there's still no majority for no-deal in parliament. The EU won't re-open the WA package. So on that end, it will still be no-deal, the deal on offer (aka May's deal), or no-Brexit. Brexit will be the overarching theme for the Premiership of Feivel, eh, de Pfeffel Johnson. The economy (thus tax income) and value of the pound will be tied to Brexit. Bigger political projects won't get thru any time soon, because Brexit is also eating up the resources of the civil service. The list goes on and on. As long as Brexit remains unresolved, the goverment will remain hamstrung - same would apply to a Labour goverment btw. You can obviously campaign against reality, but you really cannot govern against it. And the British PM has less power than the POTUS in the American political system.

Yes, they can do real harm, but at the same time, Brexit is still there to eat them alive.

Archived