UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

Next step the leadership battle today - candidates need 33 supporters to stay in the race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48671048

Also, this poll just out, the people now in charge of the direction our country takes (because asking 160k is democracy, asking 40M is treason), and what their priorities are:

https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1140888065239597056

Tweet doesn't want to load:

XXX is a price worth paying to secure Brexit:

"Scotland leaving the UK" - 63% in favour, 29% opposed

"Significant damage to the UK economy" - 61% in favour, 29% opposed

"N Ireland leaving the UK" - 59% in favour, 28% opposed

"The conservative party being destroyed" - 54% in favour, 36% opposed

"Jeremy Corbyn becomes the next Prime Minister" - 39% in favour, 51% opposed

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I recently ended up musing that Brexit is equivalent to burning down your flat in order to spite the tenant's association you don't really know what it does, but have a vague feeling that they do something you don't like.

Michael Gove - 41

Jeremy Hunt - 46

Sajid Javid - 33

Boris Johnson - 126

Dominic Raab - 30

Rory Stewart - 37

Demonic Raab has been kicked to the curb, thank fuck. Rory Stewart doing extremely well, with by far the biggest uptick between votes. Javid looks likely to drop out, Hunt and Gove have really not moved very far up at all. Johnson went up a dozen votes, but is very likely to pick up most or all of Raab's.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ok, I officially jinx Tory candidates.

First Loathsome and McVey, now Raab. :(

So who is the next best crazy from the bunch?

I will probably never say this to anyone else or at any other point, but...

Please choose Johnson

Sure. I would've prefered to try Hunt or Javid first. And picking Johnson feels like lame glory hunting, even if this competition of the feeble minded feels anything but glorious. But like I said a few times already. It doesn't really matter who wins this leadership race. The realities won't change, and it's just a huge waste of everybody's time. But if me jinxing him will make you feel more comfortable.

Go Boris!

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Michael Gove - 41

Jeremy Hunt - 46

Sajid Javid - 33

Boris Johnson - 126

Dominic Raab - 30

Rory Stewart - 37

Demonic Raab has been kicked to the curb, thank fuck. Rory Stewart doing extremely well, with by far the biggest uptick between votes. Javid looks likely to drop out, Hunt and Gove have really not moved very far up at all. Johnson went up a dozen votes, but is very likely to pick up most or all of Raab's.

He's been prorogued bless him. 

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

the Tory Party really hasn't got a problem electing someone as leader who has an odd appearance. That at least is laudable,

From the previous thread. It's only really laudable if it's not something that happen in lots of countries across political spectrums. But it seems to me most political parties in a reasonable number of countries are happy to choose leaders who look a bit odd. It could be more that politicians have a high proportion of odd-looking members.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/113593709/uk-judge-sentences-teen-for-abhorrent-post-on-prince-harry

Judge Rebecca Poulet lambasted student Michal Szewczuk, 19, for creating an image of Harry with a pistol to his head against a blood-spattered background.

The post, which was shared a few months after Harry married biracial ex-actress Meghan Markle, included the phrase "See Ya Later Race Traitor."

Szewczuk pleaded guilty to two counts of encouraging terrorism and five counts of possession of terrorist material.

Interesting. Disgusting and abhorrent, absolutely. But being terrorist material and encouraging terrorism? I dunno. It's hate speech without a doubt, so if there are hate speech laws I think I'd have rather seen it dealt with there as opposed to terrorism. Or it can be simple criminal incitement, without necessarily getting the T-word involved. I'm all for more white supremacist crimes to be treated as terrorism, but it's still got to be clearly terrorism. It can't just be a choice between freedom of speech or terrorism, there's got to be other offences in between.

17 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Also, this poll just out, the people now in charge of the direction our country takes (because asking 160k is democracy, asking 40M is treason), and what their priorities are:

https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1140888065239597056

I think you need to make it clear that that poll was only of conservative members.  

23 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:
On 6/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

If Boris (or whoever the PM is) does nothing does that mean Brexit just happens? I guess that means the new PMs job on Brexit specifically, if they are a no-dealer, is extremely easy. Sit on your hands and let the October deadline pass and voila! the UK is out of the EU. If a deal is to be had it'll be up to the EU to come knocking and propose changes.

That would at the very least lead to a vote of no confidence and a new GE, if MPs can't find a way to block that. Remember no-deal is one of the options MPs are very much against. Even more so than they are against the alternatives.

That assumes that they return parliament.  There is some talk that if a true Brexiter gets in, they can make sure parliament doesn't sit until October and achieve a hard Brexit that way. 

If they did that, and it was achieved, would the rest of the conservatives and DUP actually support a vote of no-confidence given its occurred?  And that an election just as you've started a hard Brexit would be terrible timing? I think they'd suck it up and try and hope that the years until the next GE aren't the disaster they think it will be. 

2 hours ago, ants said:

I think you need to make it clear that that poll was only of conservative members.  

Mty apologies - I thought that's what the first sentence did, but I obviously needed to be clearer.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/113593709/uk-judge-sentences-teen-for-abhorrent-post-on-prince-harry

Interesting. Disgusting and abhorrent, absolutely. But being terrorist material and encouraging terrorism? I dunno. It's hate speech without a doubt, so if there are hate speech laws I think I'd have rather seen it dealt with there as opposed to terrorism. Or it can be simple criminal incitement, without necessarily getting the T-word involved. I'm all for more white supremacist crimes to be treated as terrorism, but it's still got to be clearly terrorism. It can't just be a choice between freedom of speech or terrorism, there's got to be other offences in between.

I would see it as incitement to commit a criminal act.

Also interesting that the guy pleaded guilty. I wonder if the terrorist label for white supremacists is like an achievement. If you wanted any shot at being able to freely move around the world you definitely wouldn't want a dirty great T next to your name in every law enforcement and intelligence database. So a normal person would want to plea down to a lesser offense. Being a terrorist means you are a hero and a martyr to the cause.

16 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ok, I officially jinx Tory candidates.

First Loathsome and McVey, now Raab. :(

So who is the next best crazy from the bunch?

Boris, please.

He was a shambles in last night's debate.  Who are the puppeteers behind Boris?  I can see why they don't let him out in public unless they really have to.

I found myself really liking Rory Stewart - which is causing all sorts of existential angst, as I know his voting record isn't great, and - you know - Tory.  I've seen a few comments about him being the next leader of the Lib Dems, which I don't understand.  Is that wishful thinking, some sort of insider joke, or sarcasm? 

The whole debate last night was just odd. I can’t tell if the BBC let it happen that way, with the odd chairs, everyone talking over each other and constant interruptions from Matliss designed to make everyone look bad or it was just badly run. 

Everyone except Stewart was terrible , and even Stewart came out badly with his odd stance, taking his tie off thing and wild mannerisms.

They are a scary bunch

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also interesting that the guy pleaded guilty. I wonder if the terrorist label for white supremacists is like an achievement. If you wanted any shot at being able to freely move around the world you definitely wouldn't want a dirty great T next to your name in every law enforcement and intelligence database. So a normal person would want to plea down to a lesser offense. Being a terrorist means you are a hero and a martyr to the cause.

I'm sure they would see it as a badge of honour.

45 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I found myself really liking Rory Stewart - which is causing all sorts of existential angst, as I know his voting record isn't great, and - you know - Tory.  I

Until a GE, you would want the most sensible Tory you can find in charge of the country and that is clearly Rory. There is no downside for him from talking to Gove, so he's doing everything right here, but fingers crossed.

Archived