barristans dance of the dragons chapters echoes to eddards chapters in the 1st book

silverwolf22

barristans chapters in A Dance with Dragons echo those of Eddard Stark's, showing a similarly honor-bound character ultimately plays the game of thrones, siding with a morally dubious schemer like Shavepate and initiate a palace coup that Ned Stark balked at.

Meereen is about to become a battleground for the freedom of millions of people.  The Battle of Fire is war and that is Barristan's element.  It's something he understands very well.  I give him better chances than Eddard.  Eddard was playing at espionage and politics.  Those are not his elements and his chances were low from the start.  

2 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

Meereen is about to become a battleground for the freedom of millions of people.  The Battle of Fire is war and that is Barristan's element.  It's something he understands very well.  I give him better chances than Eddard.  Eddard was playing at espionage and politics.  Those are not his elements and his chances were low from the start.  

Actually Ned wasn't playing at them. That was the problem. He wasn't being at all political, it was all about duty and honor. Barristan has a definite edge over the Ned. I agree his chances are better. He's doing what Ned was not willing to do.

That said, my first thought at the subject was "well, yeah, he's going to die too." But Barristan's not necessarily dying right away.

58 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Barristan has a definite edge over the Ned. I agree his chances are better.

I agree, Ned lost because he went into a showdown while injured, backed by only a tiny guard and a flimsy promise from LF (i.e. does Ned really think guys like LF and Janos will like Stannis?)

On the other hand, the situation in Meereen is very clear cut with large ideologically motivated armies opposing each other in a fight for existence, with slavers on one side, and Unsullied, freed slaves etc. on the other side. There is actually very little chance of the double dealing Ned had to dance around because both the slavers and freed slaves know where they stand, and that there will be no compromise.

So Barristan had been dealt a very clear hand, and he is basically allowed to do what he does best, outnumbered, but with the better force (Unsullied, motivated freed slaves, and dragons if they later join the fight effectively).

On 6/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, silverwolf22 said:

morally dubious schemer like Shavepate and initiate a palace coup that Ned Stark balked at.

I don't really see this as a dishonorable act, more like Barristan protecting Dany's interests and position as a QG should do. A Queen's Guard is sworn only to the Monarch herself, so his position is again very clear. 

On 6/18/2019 at 7:27 AM, silverwolf22 said:

barristans chapters in A Dance with Dragons echo those of Eddard Stark's, showing a similarly honor-bound character ultimately plays the game of thrones, siding with a morally dubious schemer like Shavepate and initiate a palace coup that Ned Stark balked at.

Noticed this as well when I read it. 

I think what we are also underestimating is the fact that Ser Barristan has been around all the schemers and plotters of King's Landing for decades. Yes, it's not exactly his speciality, but he would have picked up a certain amount of awareness of the politics that goes on there. While I agree with the rest of the commenters on this thread that Barristan isn't going to need these kind of tactics to succeed in Meereen, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison with Eddard Stark, who obviously showed an incredible naivety when playing the game of thrones.

Archived