Tad Williams - The Witchwood Crown / Empire of Grass spoiler thread

kuenjato

12 minutes ago, ylvs said:

The book about the Fall of Asu'a is the other book DAW bought.

So 'The Splintered Sun' will also be standalone novel, right?

I'm kind of at a loss where exactly this would feature into the timeline. I've a feeling it could be sometime after 'Brothers of the Wind', no? Still prior to the Fall of Asu'a I'm guessing?

Pretty sure 'The Shadow of the Things to Come' could easily be written as a bigger novel rather than the somewhat shorter novels 'The Heart of What Was Lost' and 'Brothers of the Wind'. The idea to have an Nabbanai envoy as the narrator is pretty good, but the story could easily profit if there was another narrating voice added giving the POV of the Rimmersmen or perhaps even some Sithi voices as well.

Edited by Lord Varys

On 1/17/2023 at 7:40 AM, ylvs said:

Tad said on faceborg The Splintered Sun will take place during the reign of King Tethtain, so roughly 250 years after the fall of Asu'a and 250 years before the Stormking's war.

Ah, yes, that would have been the other era I was thinking about. I thought the eventual succession of the young prince from BotW could also be a nice background scenario. But with Tethtain it might also be quite interesting how the Hernystiri lost their larger empire, etc. Although his backstory might also have been interesting, with the poem indicating a lot of backstabbing and intrigue there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jiriki said:

The current final manuscript page for The Navigator's Children is page 1163. It is a vast novel. I have no idea how Tad thought he could wrap things up 1,100 pages earlier.

The more the better! Salivating to get my hands on it. Fair dues to Tad. He's really hit a prolific period but maintained his high quality.

7 hours ago, Jiriki said:

The current final manuscript page for The Navigator's Children is page 1163. It is a vast novel. I have no idea how Tad thought he could wrap things up 1,100 pages earlier.

I just want to know what The Witchwood Crown actually… is.

2 hours ago, Valandil said:

The more the better! Salivating to get my hands on it. Fair dues to Tad. He's really hit a prolific period but maintained his high quality.

Me too. His example stands in stark contrast to many popular authors who start off strong but Did Not Finish.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.tadwilliams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12868

Tad and Deborah are moving back to the South Bay area, from the Santa Cruz area, due to Tad's mom passing last year and his dad moving to assisted living.

As a result, Tad has no time right now to finish TNC (which only needed rewriting), as they have a decade's worth of six people's stuff (and, like, ten pets' stuff) to go through/cherish/throw out, and make some repairs (fence, porch, etc) on the Santa Cruz house.

Tad's garage alone was A Project back in 2013-2018, the times I was there, filled to the brim with books, books, books, scrolls, witchwood armor... it was what we called "The Full-On Morgenes' Chambers". They had acquired a lifetime of treasures in their strange and wonderful house, which I don't think was actually built for six (+ten). Moving is always a project. Moving when you've had four young people and your spouse and yourself and ten pets (including a snake) all there... it's a big chore.

As a result, he's taking an unintended sabbatical and the publisher has pushed the date back by one year. I don't think that much time will be necessary.

4 hours ago, Jussi said:

https://www.tadwilliams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12868

Tad and Deborah are moving back to the South Bay area, from the Santa Cruz area, due to Tad's mom passing last year and his dad moving to assisted living.

As a result, Tad has no time right now to finish TNC (which only needed rewriting), as they have a decade's worth of six people's stuff (and, like, ten pets' stuff) to go through/cherish/throw out, and make some repairs (fence, porch, etc) on the Santa Cruz house.

Tad's garage alone was A Project back in 2013-2018, the times I was there, filled to the brim with books, books, books, scrolls, witchwood armor... it was what we called "The Full-On Morgenes' Chambers". They had acquired a lifetime of treasures in their strange and wonderful house, which I don't think was actually built for six (+ten). Moving is always a project. Moving when you've had four young people and your spouse and yourself and ten pets (including a snake) all there... it's a big chore.

As a result, he's taking an unintended sabbatical and the publisher has pushed the date back by one year. I don't think that much time will be necessary.

Didn’t you already have a beta reader copy of the manuscript?