Prequel Pilot Filming Begins

Westeros

On 6/24/2019 at 6:40 AM, Ran said:

I think what they indicated was that the budget of the prequels was going to start higher than the budget of the first season of GoT (see here). This doesn't meant they're going to start at the same point as late-series GoT was in terms of per-episode budget, though. I'd guess it'll be nearer a $75 million first season, if ordered.

Do you know if George is involved in the script writing?

15 hours ago, LynnS said:

Do you know if George is involved in the script writing?

Only thing he's writing is TWoW. I know some stories claimed GRRM was co-writing the pilot with Goldman, but that's not the case.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Only thing he's writing is TWoW. I know some stories claimed GRRM was co-writing the pilot with Goldman, but that's not the case.

Thanks.  I have mixed feelings about the prequel.  I'd like to know more about the wall, the WWs and the Starks but I don't want it spoiling the book for me.

• 5 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:17 AM, Joe Pesci said:

Or the line just echoes GRRM and his use of the unreliable narrator to muddy the waters of events and timelines. ...

I have noticed this :: Tolkien wrote as if he was omniscient within his fictional world, but GRRM writes as if, like many real historians, for information he depends on miscellaneous and sometimes contradictory old sources.

• 6 months later...

Leaked details from the pilot before the show was cancelled, including more castmembers.

Allegedly the show would have featured a Stark-Casterly wedding and the first episode would have ended with a bloodmoon eclipse and a meteor shower heralding the approaching Long Night.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I hear about the failed pilot, the more convinced I am that HBO made the right choice not greenlighting the project. Everything seem so bland... And there are too many repeated ideas: a show focusing in the ruling families in the North and the West, under threat of the Northern zombies is not an original premise at all. Even finalizing the first episode with the blood moon seems like an uninspired reuse of the red meteor that marks the end of the first book.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, The hairy bear said:

The more I hear about the failed pilot, the more convinced I am that HBO made the right choice not greenlighting the project. Everything seem so bland... And there are too many repeated ideas: a show focusing in the ruling families in the North and the West, under threat of the Northern zombies is not an original premise at all. Even finalizing the first episode with the blood moon seems like an uninspired reuse of the red meteor that marks the end of the first book.

Yeah, I think this was a good call. The Dance has a complete story, is more satisfying in drama and character and is actually finished, so it can be adapted more faithfully (and Condal seems to be all about the faithfulness to the source material, based on his cancelled Conan project for Amazon that was actually going to be based on Howard's stories for once). 

The rumoured Valyrian show would have been a better choice, especially if they avoided the temptation to end with the Doom. Set it generations earlier and then you can build up and show Valyria at the height of its power, with tons of details not in the books, a storyline that's probably not going to have been spoiled by the books and away you go.

The Dance is definitely a better story than this whole Long Night thing ... which would have just ruined whatever image we have on Westerosi ancient history even if they had been able to create some sort of interesting original story there.

But, in essence, the Dance is just a less complex rehash of GoT with more dragons.

Doesn't mean it can't be a compelling show on that level. But if it is going to be a faithful adaptation it will be anticlimactic as hell, especially if they were to add the Regency material (but even without that, the story is basically over with the Storming of the Dragonpit and Second Tumbleton - everything else is just a crude epilogue).

To use the Sergio Leone movies as a parallel: The Dance proper starts with Once Upon a Time in the West or The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and closes with a drawn-out version of A Fistful of Dollars. And that isn't a good thing.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:56 PM, Werthead said:

The rumoured Valyrian show would have been a better choice, especially if they avoided the temptation to end with the Doom. Set it generations earlier and then you can build up and show Valyria at the height of its power, with tons of details not in the books, a storyline that's probably not going to have been spoiled by the books and away you go.

This doesn't seem to be a rumor anymore, with Peterson confirming that he had done linguistic work for that project.

I'd agree that this would have been the best choice since it would have allowed them to create something new - a new setting, new characters, and new stories. And even intrigues and plotting - GoT stuff - would have looked new and shiny if done in a sorcerer empire setting as a background, rather than yet again in a pseudo-medieval Europe.

From a political point of view Valyria is the much more interesting place than backwater Westeros.

The Doom as the eventual climax of the show could have worked, considering that, depending on success, they could have postponed that indefinitely, always having a grand finale at the ready.

Archived