US Politics: 40 Acres and Barack Obama

Fragile Bird

First section ends with men yelling over each other and the women generally not doing this idiocy.

Then  the hex of everything these days hit these 20 candidates in the change-over of moderators: TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.  This can really throw somebody's game off when we're live.  Though probably not Ohio's republican pretending to be a dem.

My bestie went out to the park to hear one of the geniuses of Cuban music perform live, which was surely the smarter thing to have done.  But I'm an historian so, here I am, with sound and screen.

Don't expect a lot of differences among them about guns.

11 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, the main thing I think is that Warren is dominating the debate. And that is kind of expected. I came in 20 minutes late due to app errors, and I was impressed with what I saw of Warren. Also, I spoke with a friend by email who had seen the first 20 minutes and described Warren as strong. I like Warren, but I also worried about her abilities over her fracas with Trump. I was just surprised by her presence when she was speaking. I didn't know she was capable of that. 

I thought Booker was doing an OK job, too, better than I expected considering his polling.

Also, there was a contest on who could speak more Spanish. I didn't see if Warren took part in that.

Warren has been like a grown ass woman fighting 9 toddlers in a ball pit. Booker is a big ass toddler and Castro is sly like a fox, but this is her game all day. Just don't fuck it up, E-dizzle.

10 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Castro was a bit aggressive, but Beto didn't respond well IMO. Castro looked more in control and Beto kind looked like he was floundering, even if he did have a response ready. The optics were in Castro's favor I think, and stupidly that matters.

I find this agreeable. I think he seemed too belligerent but I agree he definitely won.

6 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Just noticed that Warren is wearing purple instead of the red and blue you see on everyone else. I kind of like it,

Porphyrogennetos, act like you belong.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Booker has a certain gravitas speaking live that I think has a chance to help him get off the mat in these debates.  Some will roll their eyes from time-to-time (I think Castro kind of was?), but overall I think it works for a lot people.  

Yeah but ugh. He's a phoney and I can't take him seriously.

I ended the day by cutting my backyard lawn, my brother’s (we live next door to each other and he had massive surgery to repair an aneurysm in March so now I cut the grass) the front lawns and my brother’s neighbor’s front lawn. She’s a nice Vietnamese lady who works long hours in a restaurant so he cuts her lawn, so I cut her lawn too.  Though she ran out and asked if I could show her how to mow the lawn, something she’s never done. She was careful and precise and did a nice job. I followed her holding up the electric cord to make sure she didn't Kill herself.

So I went to the local bar to get something to eat and drink, a burger and a nice blood orange sour beer. The bar picks 150 different videos from all time periods once a week and runs them on 4 big screens. I watched Game 5 of the Raptors/GSW final there, but guess what, they are not showing the debates. Gee.

Just one question, why does the Kissed by a Rose video have Batman in it? Was it in one of the movies?

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Man, Delaney is being treated like a joke (which of course is exactly what he is).  Asked how he'd deal with McConnel who doesn't want to do bi-partisan stuff his response is "We need to do bi-partisan stuff."

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

Yeah but ugh. He's a phoney and I can't take him seriously.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

I am not sure who that fucker was, but the Democratic party is already the party that gets things done. ACA you stupid fucker.

Earlier today Nate Silver was going ham on the Delaneys, Inslees, and de Blasios of the stage. "Nah, fuck those people." Sticks out in my mind.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Porphyrogennetos, act like you belong.

That's not what it said to me. It was that she would embrace both sides. Or maybe that she already has, given her conservative roots and evolving into a progressive leader.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

OK, when Klobuchar has more passion and personality than you, it might be time to rethink your choices, Tulsi.

I hate that it matters, but man Gabbard is a dull speaker.

I just remarked that she makes me think of those female VP's companies trot out in front of the cameras every time they want to appear sympathetic.

He got a gooder all right -- what is the greatest threat to the US today?  DONALD TRUMP!

Though right after that it seems it's really Mitch McConnell everybody is supposed to run aqainst . . . .

Did anyone else think Gabbard seemed like a completely different person after 10:30? It wasn't just her disassembling of Timothy, her final remarks were orders of magnitude more lively than anything she said during the first 90 minutes.

Gabbard did come more alive at the end and I began questioning why I had the impression she was stiff. Don't get me wrong, she's not an electric speaker, but she had some life in her,

I don't think anyone really shone tonight (hard to with this many candidates), but I think Castro probably will get the biggest boost coming out of this. (meaning Warren was already strong coming in, so her boost probably won't be as big, etc). Klobuchar might get a little boost, actually - I didn't think she did badly. 

Archived