Your Favourite Badass Line from a Non-Badass Character

Canon Claude

On 6/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, Red Tiger said:

Euron: "Have you forgotten? I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria."

"Have you?" the Reader asked, so softly.

This. The only man who dares question Euron. And he does it so calmly.

Sansa's statement about Robb giving her Joffrey's head was pretty gutsy too.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, James Steller said:

“Jared of House Frey, I name you liar.”

-Davos Seaworth

I like looking at this exchange from the other side.

Ser Jared seemed amused.  "Some men cry when slicing onions, but I have never had that weakness."  Steel whispered against leather as he drew his sword.  "If you are indeed a knight, ser, defend that slander with your body."

Too bad Wayman came to rescue Davos with his timely interruption.  Jared would have cleaned the floor with Davos.  

3 hours ago, Anti-Stark said:

Too bad Wayman came to rescue Davos with his timely interruption.  Jared would have cleaned the floor with Davos.  

All the more reason why I respect Davos for calling Jared what he was. He is in a hostile court, trying to encourage a war-weary house to fight again, and representatives of the most powerful house in the Riverlands are standing there bragging their lies to the world because anyone who disagrees will lose their lives. And Davos still calls them out. That’s the height of badassery from a man who was never meant to be a hero yet so often became one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 12:24 AM, James Steller said:

All the more reason why I respect Davos for calling Jared what he was. He is in a hostile court, trying to encourage a war-weary house to fight again, and representatives of the most powerful house in the Riverlands are standing there bragging their lies to the world because anyone who disagrees will lose their lives. And Davos still calls them out. That’s the height of badassery from a man who was never meant to be a hero yet so often became one. 

Jared Frey was willing and did challenge Davos to a fight.  Davos hid behind Manderly's skirt.  Davos is not a hero.  It's not hard to insult when you know the other guy won't be allowed to beat you up.  Davos was just running his mouth and knowing he can get away with it.  

“You are a woman, my lady,” the Greatjon rumbled in his deep voice.  “Women do not understand these things.” “You are the gentle sex,” said Lord Karstark, with the lines of grief fresh on his face. “A man has a need for vengeance.”

“Give me Cersei Lannister, Lord Karstark, and you would see how gentle a woman can be,” Catelyn replied.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, James Steller said:

Bang on. Davos was the one who was putting his life on the line there. It's just a shame that Ser Seaworth never got to try the pie :P

Sansa is without a doubt a very badass moment. Rodrik the Reader challenging Euron also.

I loved this Davos moment;

"It is every man's duty to remain loyal to his rightful king, even if the lord he serves proves false," Stannis declared in a tone that brooked no argument.
A desperate folly took hold of Davos, a recklessness akin to madness. "As you remained loyal to King Aerys when your brother raised his banners?" he blurted. (Davos IV, ASoS 36)

• 4 weeks later...

A Dance with Dragons - Jon I

"Roast raven," Jon suggested. "And half a pint of ale." Having a steward fetch and serve for him still felt strange; not long ago, it would have been him fetching breakfast for Lord Commander Mormont.

"Three corns and one roast raven," said Dolorous Edd. "Very good, m'lord, only Hobb's made boiled eggs, black sausage, and apples stewed with prunes. The apples stewed with prunes are excellent, except for the prunes. I won't eat prunes myself. Well, there was one time when Hobb chopped them up with chestnuts and carrots and hid them in a hen. Never trust a cook, my lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it."

Archived