Winged Snake over Winterfell

Ghost+Nymeria4Eva

I was re-reading Clash and noticed this in the final Bran chapter:

Yet as one smell drew them onward, others warned them back. He sniffed at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire, fire, fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars.

This is after Winterfell is sacked by the Boltons. Some structures are set on fire. Bran is hiding in the crypts and sees the fires through Summer's eyes. Summer notices people being scared and things burning, and also this "winged snake" breathing flame. Like, where did the dragon come from? Was it really there, did Summer "imagine" it? Was Bran seeing something from the future that somehow freakishly coincides with the sacking that just happened? 

Soon afterward, Osha in the crypts says “We made noise enough to wake a dragon" (!). Could there have actually been a dragon that no one notices because people don't look up?

Could this possibly tie-into the shadow dragon Dany is told of by the Undying. Perhaps the Broken Tower in Winterfell is the site where the shadow dragon arises. That's just a theory though. 

Anyone have explanations/theories on this bizarre appearance of a "winged snake"?

Update:

There's a decade old thread on this here: 

Perhaps there are newer theories/suggestions? 

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, namesarehard said:

Oops. Well Summer definitely won't know what a dragon looks like.

But it's Bran seeing it through Summer's eyes. Bran would know what a dragon looks like. 

To the OP: I wish I had something insightful to add but I don't. I like the idea that there was a dragon above WF, perhaps woken from stone? The prophecies always intrigue me because it often seems as if they are fulfilled more than once &/or fulfilled in a way we didn't expect. So maybe it fits into Melisandre thinking she has to wake a dragon from stone somehow? She thinks she needs King's blood to do it but we don't really know why she thinks that or why she wants to wake the dragon. Maybe it doesn't have to be King's blood, it just has to be a great sacrifice. There were many sacrificed that day, but none of King's blood I can think of. 

Maybe the questions we need to ask ourselves are Why would there be a dragon under WF? How did it get there? And what would be the purpose of it waking? 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:42 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Maybe the questions we need to ask ourselves are Why would there be a dragon under WF? How did it get there? And what would be the purpose of it waking? 

The only way into that, I suspect, is either Alysanne's or Jaehaeris' dragon laid an egg when they visited. Hot springs suggest the sort of geothermal heat that draws dragons (like Dragonstone), so who can say? :dunno: Maybe there are four dragons in the world now.

Having said all that, do we know for sure that the Cannibal and Sheepstealer are dead????

Is it possible that his winged snaked whose roar was a river of flame is just a metaphor? 

It doesn't make sense that a dragon would fly over Winterfell, breathing fire and no one would see it. If a dragon flew over the north, then there are people who were bound to have seen it and rumors about it would spread. 

To me, it just sounds like something to do with the whole dragon waking from stone and one of the moving parts of the prophecy. The fall of Winterfell and Bran and Rickon having to leave could be part of the "darkness gathering." We still don't know what it means of how significant the phrase "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" is. 

Maybe now that Winterfell is broken and cracked, the secrets that were kept in it will be easier to find? Maybe the winged snake is the first secret that will be outed?

3 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

The only way into that, I suspect, is either Alysanne's or Jaehaeris' dragon laid an egg when they visited. Hot springs suggest the sort of geothermal heat that draws dragons (like Dragonstone), so who can say? :dunno: Maybe there are four dragons in the world now.

About this, Sam in his first chapter in AFfC brings up Alysanne's visit to the Wall and wonders if Silverwing left an egg at the Wall. It's not impossible that it happened and with Jon reopening the castles who knows what they will find there. With what happened at the Wall, if there's a place where a dragon egg could be found and perhaps come in handy, I think it would be at the Wall. And cold preserves. But I'm not sure how useful a hatchling will be. Drogon is just now big enough for Dany to ride him and his brothers are smaller than he is.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:36 AM, Rufus Snow said:

Having said all that, do we know for sure that the Cannibal and Sheepstealer are dead????

Also remember that prince Jacaerys took Vermax to winterfell and the shedragon could have lay a clutch of eggs in there, and after the war, the Targs told Lord Cregan Stark that instead of giving him a Targaryen bride he will have something of more value, and he return verry happy to winterfell, a dragon egg perhaps? This egg could have remained inside the castle thermal system until after the battle when there was this huge fire and king's blood, because I'm pretty sure that Theon must have spilled at list a lil bit of blood.

The other thing, as you say, is that Cannibal or Sheepstealer must have been lingering around or even been hibernating in the depths of the castle.

I'm more certain of the second one because brann/summer said that it was huge, so a hatchling is kind of unlikely.

The final theory, and most boring is that it's just that bloody red comet.

• 3 months later...

Archived