Are Willas and especially Garlan Tyrell Endgame characters??

Dreadscythe95

There are a few reasons to believe that Garlan Tyrell (and probably Willas as well) are planned by GRRM to have major roles in the last two books and probably one of them will also survive the story in a good position.

These reasons are:

1. Martin has refered to Garlan as a main character a lot of times in the past. There are many times that Martin has pointed out the importance of teh Tyrell brothers, and especially Garlan the Gallant. 

2. Eventhough he was s minor character till now, Martin has spent a lot if time on Garlan's character development and has tried a lot to make him likeable to the reader (and he has also built a positive relationship with Tyrion who is Martin's number 1 character). Garlan is generally written as a hero-character. These characters struggle a lot in Martin's world but they still have a strong future in the events of the story.

3. The possibility of Garlan taking a Valyrian steel blade. We all know that there is a big possibility that Garlan will get the valyrian steel blade of Harlaw at The Shields.

4. We have no hero/character to experience the Southern Theatre of War that is coming (through his POV and through relating with him and his struggles). Arianne will be in the fAegon side of things probably and Euron as a mysterious and evil antagonist can't have a POV probably because it would ruin the mystery. So we need a good-type character to fight for the South and ready the South for Targaryen clash between Daenerys-fAegon. Think of it we have no other likeable character introduced to us for this job.

5. The importance of Highgarden. Highgarden will definitely get nerfed in the next book (and its needed since right now The Reach is OP) but it would be unrealistic imo to 100-0 Highgarden like that, especially when the story will need two strong sides for the Daenerys-Aegon Dance. The Reach will definitely fall in a civil war to get weakened but both sides will have a part to play in the Targaryen civil war cause let;s be honest the Lannisters are not gonna keep The Red keep with Cersei like in the series, it;s bad storytelling and fAegon needs to have his time in the spotlight and fill the story till Daenerys comes to Westeros.

6. Sansa Stark. GRRM writes his stories in a style where the characters start with some dreams/ambitions and in the proccess they face a lot of troubles, completely changing themselves and the way they see things but this type if storyteling usually means that the characters end up getting what they wanted in the beginning eventhough they are completely different persons. Sansa always wanted to become The Queen and marry a Southern Lord and live to the South and eventhough she will end up a completely different person I do believe that she will still get what she always wanted in the end, and she needs to marry a Southern Lord for that.

All these are just specullations of course, and for all we know Loras may also still be alive and have a major part to play as well. Margaery is probably doomed though. Mace is definitely gonna die and it's for the better of the plot. The Reach as a united mighty kingdom is over as well because the story demands it, it's gonna be fractured from here on till the endgame fight with The Others.

I would really like to know your opinion though guys so start the discussion.

Agree with you

It would be really cool to see the "background" Tyrells (Willas & Garlan) becoming more important than the louder and more attention striving ones (Margaery, Loras, Olenna & Mace).

I could even see Garlan or Willas getting a POV. This video points out we are missing one from the Reach:

1 minute ago, Karneol said:

Agree with you

It would be really cool to see the "background" Tyrells (Willas & Garlan) becoming more important than the louder and more attention striving ones (Margaery, Loras, Olenna & Mace).

I could even see Garlan or Willas getting a POV. This video points out we are missing one from the Reach:

Yeah I have seen thsi video, I follow this guy from his first video. It's pretty good.

Probably yes, not Willas perhaps but surely Garlan, a skilled swordsman and a fighter. Loras and Garlan are like Robb and Jon version of the Reach, Garlan is a better swordsman (Jon), Loras is a better lance (Robb). Though I definitely see one of them will die sooner or later, or even both of them like the Stark brothers.

Yes, Martin has definitely made Garlan a character the reader is interested in knowing about more of, and the mentions of Willas are intriguing as well.  I expect both to play at least some type of role in the upcoming conflict with Euron, and I agree that at least Garlan may well (and hopefully will) play a "major" role, although I don't know how you define that.  Whether they're still playing a role during the endgame?  Eh, who knows?  I think he'd be a very interesting key character in the second Dance though, agree with that.

I think they will be important moving forward. They actually seem to be two sides of the same coin. You have the brother who is the warrior and the one who is bookish. Willas is clearly a smart guy since he understood right away how Euron took the Shields.

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of the scholar type characters like Sam, Rodrik the Reader and Willas. I wonder how close they are to their Hightower side of the family.

Yes, I definitely hope so. Garlan has potential for a main character-hero type. He seems like a decent fellow so far, and intriguing.

But to be honest I'm not so sure about the "strong futur" part. This is the type of character I expect to die a tragic death in this world :(

On the other hand, if Martin did refer to him as a main character then we definitely can hope for some POV ! Could he actually be a scheming player type ? Doesn't seem so, but who knows. Margaery definitely isn't as innocent as she looks, so why not Garlan or Willas too.

According to a certain theory, Garlan was the one who put the poison in the wine during Joffrey’s wedding, taking it from Olenna who had previously retrieved it from Sansa.

We know that Willas was a very good friend of Oberyn Martell, I’m sure we will finally meet him. 

I have a theory about which Tyrells will survive.

Theres a popular idea that a huge part of the series is the murder of children, and the consequences of it.

Theon's downward spiral begins when he kills the Miller's children. Robert advocates for the murder of Targaryen children, and it's only on his deathbed that he acknowledges his mistakes and tells Ned to rescind the order to kill Daenerys. Stannis has already tried to kill one innocent child and its been set up that when he kills Shireen that will conclude his failed campaign.

So the Tyrells I think will die:

Margaery. Margaery manipulated both Tommen and Sansa. She was most probably complicit in the plot to kill Joffrey and let Sansa take the fall.

Mace Tyrell. The blasé attitude of Mace to the deaths of Rhaenys and Aegon shock the entire council.

Olenna. Olenna was the brains behind the Purple Wedding and set Sansa up as a patsy once she couldn't marry her off to Willas.

The Tyrells who will survive:

Loras. Loras seems to be genuinely fond of Tommen and want to be a mentor to him. He also didn't seem to take part in the Purple Wedding.

Willas. Willas is always said to be kind and virtuous.

Unsure:

Garlan. "Garlan the Gallant" comforted Sansa and danced with her during the Purple Wedding. But he may have been the one to poison Joffrey. Still, it was an effort to save his sister.

2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Can you define endgame?

Because endgame to me can mean:

• surviving the entire series
  • surviving long enough to fight the Others
  • surviving long enough to fight King Euron
  • surviving long enough to witness the fallout between Jon and Daenerys

I mean these two mainly. The final stage.

Willas is more likely to survive than Garlan, because he is a cripple and dosent have to fight in battles unlike Garlan. Yes Garlan is probably the best swordsmen in westeros right now, but I have the feeling he might die by the end of TWOW. Willas will be left to pick up the pieces and try to keep control of the Reach.

I like Garlan a lot, but I think that it is more likely than not that this Southron hero meets a grim fate (because this is ASOIAF). Whether it be vs Euron, whatever happens in KL, fighting the others, or the Targs, I think his days are numbered.

Wilas I believe is in a safer position. He is at Highgarden and GRRM this seems to be the universe where the deformed, injured, and sometimes the plain weak (calling out Samwell Tarly) of noble blood surive. The Tyrells won't die out, but the Reach is going to get its share of deaths.

1 hour ago, nyser1 said:

I like Garlan a lot, but I think that it is more likely than not that this Southron hero meets a grim fate (because this is ASOIAF). Whether it be vs Euron, whatever happens in KL, fighting the others, or the Targs, I think his days are numbered.

Wilas I believe is in a safer position. He is at Highgarden and GRRM this seems to be the universe where the deformed, injured, and sometimes the plain weak (calling out Samwell Tarly) of noble blood surive. The Tyrells won't die out, but the Reach is going to get its share of deaths.

Good points.

On 6/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

4. We have no hero/character to experience the Southern Theatre of War that is coming (through his POV and through relating with him and his struggles). Arianne will be in the fAegon side of things probably and Euron as a mysterious and evil antagonist can't have a POV probably because it would ruin the mystery. So we need a good-type character to fight for the South and ready the South for Targaryen clash between Daenerys-fAegon. Think of it we have no other likeable character introduced to us for this job.

We have Samwell Tarly, a well developed POV character from the Reach, in Oldtown, which is on the front lines of battle.

51 minutes ago, James Steller said:

We have Samwell Tarly, a well developed POV character from the Reach, in Oldtown, which is on the front lines of battle.

Yes but are all the battle sgonna be in Oldtown? Aegon is at Storms End and Sam is not a soldier.

27 minutes ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

Yes but are all the battle sgonna be in Oldtown? Aegon is at Storms End and Sam is not a soldier.

Arianne will be on hand for battles, no doubt. Same with Jon Connington. And besides, we never saw Robb’s Westerlands campaigns firsthand. Some battles will probably be fought out of sight.

Archived