Police - a thin blue line, a wad of cash and scary guns

ants

1 hour ago, Safiya said:

About 2 years ago I watched a youtube video of a guy on his motorbike pulled over by a UK cop in my home county, cop claims the guy was breaking the speed limit, guy says he has a camera which is recording his journey and it's recording the speedo as well.  He hadn't broken the speed limit at all.

I commented this is standard for UK cops.

Next day Chief Constable (Chief of police) resigns.

Not sure what your point is?

are you implying a comment on youtube forced a chief constable to resign? Was it even the chief constable who covered the force the youtube video is from?

And as someone who spent several (8) years as a special constable working alongside regulars, this is not typical. 

Much of police work these days is trying to help mentally ill people other public bodies haven’t the resources to.

13 hours ago, Safiya said:

About 2 years ago I watched a youtube video of a guy on his motorbike pulled over by a UK cop in my home county, cop claims the guy was breaking the speed limit, guy says he has a camera which is recording his journey and it's recording the speedo as well.  He hadn't broken the speed limit at all.

I commented this is standard for UK cops.

Its It's hardly standard. I dont think I know a single officer who does people for speeding, we dont have the time or the inclination. And most vehicles dont have the correct equipment to prove the offence.

What it says on the speedometer would be irrelevant. If he had been measured by an approved and properly calibrated device he could be prosecuted. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its It's hardly standard. I dont think I know a single officer who does people for speeding, we dont have the time or the inclination. And most vehicles dont have the correct equipment to prove the offence.

What it says on the speedometer would be irrelevant. If he had been measured by an approved and properly calibrated device he could be prosecuted. 

I wouldn’t say that was true around here there seems to be a camera van out in a few places really regularly, but I think these are usually operated by civilian staff as opposed to Police Officers more these days?.

I’m guessing an Officer is allowed to use their own judgement to a point with speeding?, I.E. 90 MPH on a clear motorway with little traffic, just a warning to slow down sir/madam.

50 MPH in a built up area past a school-have a driving ban you absolute dickhead.

56 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I wouldn’t say that was true around here there seems to be a camera van out in a few places really regularly, but I think these are usually operated by civilian staff as opposed to Police Officers more these days?.

Or traffic police. Fuck those weirdos. They are so pedantic and exactly how you would imagine them to be. 

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Or traffic police. Fuck those weirdos. They are so pedantic and exactly how you would imagine them to be. 

Yeah I do kind of imagine them to get the tyre depth thing out if they stopped you for doing 31 MPH in a 30 limit.

I tend to be quite a chilled driver these days just keep up with traffic flow and don’t really go particularly fast or slow.

I was doing some shopping yesterday and there was 40ish year old guy in the supermarket car park in a Maserati revving his engine going too fast in the car park, no you don’t look cool you’re being an idiot was my only thought.

19 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Not sure what your point is?

You're not sure what my point is?  Ok lol.

are you implying a comment on youtube forced a chief constable to resign?

There's no implying, though it might be coincidence but their final words were "I support the frontline"

In other words she was booted.

Was it even the chief constable who covered the force the youtube video is from?

Go read what I said, oh you did, I'm not repeating myself.

And as someone who spent several (8) years as a special constable working alongside regulars, this is not typical. 

Wrong.

Much of police work these days is trying to help mentally ill people other public bodies haven’t the resources to.

Wrong.  Nice try at PR though.

13 minutes ago, Safiya said:

You're not sure what my point is?  Ok lol.

There's no implying, though it might be coincidence but their final words were "I support the frontline"

In other words she was booted.

Go read what I said, oh you did, I'm not repeating myself.

Wrong.

Wrong.  Nice try at PR though.

"Is this getting hit on the head lessons?" 

"No, this is the argument room. Getting hit on the head lessons are down  the hall." 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not very technical for a Inspector in the UK police are you. 

No-one is 'done' for speeding by the actual police in the UK, ok patently false. There's police speed traps and police vehicles with speed testing equipment, what was your point?  Because it's gone into the most ludicrous hand waving territory imaginable.

Oh so whatever scientific evidence a member of the public has is irrelevant.  I don't think so.

13 minutes ago, maarsen said:

"Is this getting hit on the head lessons?" 

"No, this is the argument room. Getting hit on the head lessons are down  the hall." 

Ok cheerleader, just for you.

Still wrong, the police I have met are subjected to quotas, game over.

If this was true then they would have many trained psychiatric nurses and doctors.  Instead many are barely literate.

I can't remove this quote lol.

1 hour ago, Safiya said:

Not very technical for a Inspector in the UK police are you. 

No-one is 'done' for speeding by the actual police in the UK, ok patently false. There's police speed traps and police vehicles with speed testing equipment, what was your point?  Because it's gone into the most ludicrous hand waving territory imaginable.

Oh so whatever scientific evidence a member of the public has is irrelevant.  I don't think so.

I can't answer the first point as it's not written in a language I understand.

As to your second point, a speedometer is not 'science'.  

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Isn't that why there's usually tolerance level before the speeding equipment gets triggered.

Here it used to be 10% I think.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I eviscerated your hilarious claim 'the UK police don't 'do' people for speeding no more guvnor.'  You tried to dismiss my claim with the most ridiculous claims imaginable.

A car's speedometer has to meet minimum LEGAL AND SCIENTIFIC standards, otherwise everyone could claim they don't know what speed they are going and then no-one really would get 'done' for speeding.

Going to say it straight I doubt you're a police officer, because you're talking some serious bs.

32 minutes ago, Safiya said:

I eviscerated your hilarious claim 'the UK police don't 'do' people for speeding no more guvnor.'  You tried to dismiss my claim with the most ridiculous claims imaginable.

A car's speedometer has to meet minimum LEGAL AND SCIENTIFIC standards, otherwise everyone could claim they don't know what speed they are going and then no-one really would get 'done' for speeding.

Going to say it straight I doubt you're a police officer, because you're talking some serious bs.

Car speedometers can be quite inaccurate.  Changing your tire size is an easy way to demonstrate this.  I just changed mine a few months ago, and near as I can tell my speedometer is now accurate, where before it was over estimating my speed by about 7-10%.

Archived