Police - a thin blue line, a wad of cash and scary guns

ants

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What happened?

there was the “straight pride parade” today, organized by a bunch of open neo-nazis and white supremecists behind the resist marxism from what i saw bpd far outnumbered the parade goers (but in turn far outnumbered by counter prospers). the cops basically provided protection for the reactionaries, and arrested several left wing protesters, for little to no reason, charging at random into the crowds to collar folks

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What happened?

9 hours ago, avenge me said:

there was the “straight pride parade” today, organized by a bunch of open neo-nazis and white supremecists behind the resist marxism from what i saw bpd far outnumbered the parade goers (but in turn far outnumbered by counter prospers). the cops basically provided protection for the reactionaries, and arrested several left wing protesters, for little to no reason, charging at random into the crowds to collar folks

They also pepper sprayed people for no reason, slammed people into the groun put their knees into their heads and all their body weight into it, pushing heads into the concrete / pavement.

they also tried to run people over with motorcycles, hit people with their bicycles, swung batons. Typical jackboot bullshit.

some black cop sucker punched some LGBTQ anti fascist in the face as well. 

On 9/1/2019 at 7:09 AM, Bonnot OG said:

They also pepper sprayed people for no reason, slammed people into the groun put their knees into their heads and all their body weight into it, pushing heads into the concrete / pavement.

they also tried to run people over with motorcycles, hit people with their bicycles, swung batons. Typical jackboot bullshit.

some black cop sucker punched some LGBTQ anti fascist in the face as well. 

Thanks.  This was the first I’d heard of this.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Thanks.  This was the first I’d heard of this.

No problem. Now fascist propagandist Andy Ngo is tweeting out the information the Boston PD on the arrested protestors in a way that is doxxing them. And given his readers / supporters, I expect some to get death threats from neo Nazi groups like Atomwaffen, or to be put on kill lists like 14 people were thanks to Ngo a while back.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:20 AM, DanteGabriel said:

I wonder if @Heartofice has any thoughts on this story about Patriot Prayer and Andy Ngo. Since you decry violent assault, you must be concerned that "journalist" Andy Ngo, who definitely isn't a shit-stirring propagandist for fascist gangs, was filmed laughing along with a right wing gang as they planned a violent assault on a cider business in Portland. Strange that the Responsible Truth-Telling Journalist didn't bother to film these violent plans or mention it in his Fair and Balanced stories.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2019/08/26/27039560/undercover-in-patriot-prayer-insights-from-a-vancouver-democrat-whos-been-working-against-the-far-right-group-from-the-inside

Also funny that mere hours after this story was published, Andy Ngo's name vanished from Quilette.

19 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

No problem. Now fascist propagandist Andy Ngo is tweeting out the information the Boston PD on the arrested protestors in a way that is doxxing them. And given his readers / supporters, I expect some to get death threats from neo Nazi groups like Atomwaffen, or to be put on kill lists like 14 people were thanks to Ngo a while back.

Guys you’re missing the big picture here. Like @Heartofice has already pointed out Ngo is a gay, Asian conservative.  it’s ok to help put people’s lives in danger if you happen to be a minority who has certain ideological stripes. The real tragedy here is that he got milkshakes-a lethal weapon deadlier than any gun- thrown on him. 

I’m being sarcastic.

• 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do judges normally pray with a hug someone they convict of murder?

I wonder how differently this all goes if a black man enters the wrong apartment and shoots a white woman who is a cop……    

Yeah, they say Justice is blind.  I think she was definitely peeking out from under the blindfold on this one!

48 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, they say Justice is blind.  I think she was definitely peeking out from under the blindfold on this one!

10 years seems about right for me.  This was, to put it mildly, an extremely unusual case.  The solution to racial disparity in sentencing is to reduce sentences for minorities, not throw the book at people like Amber Guyger. 

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

10 years seems about right for me.  This was, to put it mildly, an extremely unusual case.  The solution to racial disparity in sentencing is to reduce sentences for minorities, not throw the book at people like Amber Guyger. 

You and I see eye to eye 95% of the time, but saying 10 years seems right is insane. And we all know she won’t serve anywhere close to that. She murdered someone, and the sentencing range was 5-99 years. She got off so light. And that’s before you consider that she’s a cop. The police need to be held to the higher, dare say the highest standard, not afforded the most leniency.

She's a racist cop who failed to administer first aid to the innocent man she shot in his own home and was more worried about the impact on her career. Fuck her, may she get yard justice.

May her shitball racist married partner she was fucking get dragged as well, especially for deleting text messages from Shoot First Barbie. He should be  re-investigated for the unarmed black man he killed, with no consequences, in 2007.

With a ten year sentence I expect she'll serve about 7 years with good behavior.  That's a long time, this isn't some slap on the wrist. 

The sentencing range is 5-99 years.  But the circumstances of this murder are very unusual, and certainly lean toward a lighter sentence than most. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

With a ten year sentence I expect she'll serve about 7 years with good behavior.  That's a long time, this isn't some slap on the wrist. 

The sentencing range is 5-99 years.  But the circumstances of this murder are very unusual, and certainly lean toward a lighter sentence than most. 

Could you give an argument here? Like explain why you feel the circumstances are so unique they justify such a lighter sentence?

35 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Could you give an argument here? Like explain why you feel the circumstances are so unique they justify such a lighter sentence?

I do believe her that she thought she was walking into her own apartment (for what that's worth, this is a mistake that both myself and my wife have made in the past).  Walking into your apartment and finding a strange man there, it's not particularly surprising that she shot him, because a great many people believe (and stupid Castle Doctrine laws back them up) that any person in your home is automatically a lethal situation and can be responded to with lethal force.

Now, OBVIOUSLY, she acted with criminal negligence, which is why she's going to prison for murder.  But I don't see a 10 year sentence as a slap on the wrist, that is a significant portion of her life. 

And yes, if the position were reversed and it had been Botham Jean shooting Gulyer in her place, he would be looking at more time, and that is not right.  But the problem is the consistently harsh sentencing in America (particularly, but not exclusively, of minorities).  Throwing the book at Gulyer isn't going to solve that.  America needs to address both racial bias in the justice system and the impact of bad "tough on crime" laws in giving out unreasonably harsh sentences.  America needs fewer people in prison for fewer years.

Why does it have to be either or though? We can both combat institutional racism and begin to really hold police accountable. She only got that sentence because she is a cop. You and I would get way more time, which is wrong on so many levels.

Also, how do you walk into the wrong apartment? I never have.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why does it have to be either or though? We can both combat institutional racism and begin to really hold police accountable. She only got that sentence because she is a cop. You and I would get way more time, which is wrong on so many levels.

I guess I don't see her being a cop as being a primary issue in this matter.  She wasn't acting as a police officer at the time, just a reckless, shoot first person, of which we have far too many of in this country.

In my case it was a dorm room, I was distracted thinking about something and I walked into the room next to mine, where the door was cracked (as doors often were at my college).  My first reaction was "where did all this stuff come from", and then I realized I was in the wrong place.

My wife's story is a bit better, she was coming home late from work, and walked into the wrong apartment (it wasn't locked).  It was dark in the apartment, so she got in several steps before she realized this wasn't her place.  And she said her first thought was "I hope I don't get shot".  Which is just a sad indictment of this country.   

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure that she got that sentence just for being a cop. I think if you or I had done the same thing, it's doubtful we'd be looking at much more than 10 years, and quite possibly less. Now if Botham Jean had done what Guyger did, then he definitely would have been a much longer sentence. 

So that, to me, is the real injustice. I don't think that Guyger got off light, everything considered, and I think her sentence is more or less commensurate with the crime. What everyone should be outraged about is "the Botham Jean scenario". 

Not to mention, as a cop she could have gotten away Scot-free too, as so many before her have. I think 50 years, or even 25 years, would have been outrageous for a case like this.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

guess I don't see her being a cop as being a primary issue in this matter.  She wasn't acting as a police officer at the time, just a reckless, shoot first person, of which we have far too many of in this country.

Maybe not when she killed him, but it is certainly a primary issue when sentencing her. 

3 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Maybe not when she killed him, but it is certainly a primary issue when sentencing her. 

I guess this is just agree to disagree, but I think if it was Amber Guyger, gun-toting waitress on trial, I think she would have gotten a similar sentence.  Although the trial wouldn't have been nearly as high profile. 

37 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I guess this is just agree to disagree, but I think if it was Amber Guyger, gun-toting waitress on trial, I think she would have gotten a similar sentence.  Although the trial wouldn't have been nearly as high profile. 

Police can and should be held to higher standards though. Even when off duty, they should be capable of exercising greater levels of judgment than the average person - its part of their job to have that judgment and temprament. Or ought to be

Archived