Gigantic AsoIaF Family Tree

Tibbie

So, I did a thing. A gigantic AsoIaF family tree thing. (There's also a key/legend/whatever. Feel free to ask if you're still confused.)

(NOTE: Apparently the pic doesn't display well on in browsers on tablet, so either view with the imgur app, or use this dropbox link instead. I should hopefully work.)

Yeah, I know it's been done before but...

Some backstory: A while ago (last year? the year before?) I was mucking around with fictional family tree making. I started with Harry Potter, followed by P&P, and hobbits occupied me for a while. Then I decided to try something even more ambitious: AsoIaF. A little googling for picture references to get started (I was looking for the 'The World of Ice & Fire' appendix lineages) and I stumbled over El-Daddy's tree. (If you're interested, and you should be, google "El-Daddy's AsoIaF tree" and you'll probably find it. It's on this forum. Also reddit?) Anyway, it was basically exactly what I was going to do. Even with the same software.

My interest sort of fizzled. It had already been done (and was awesome) so why bother. But time passed and I noted some things I'd do differently, more than a few people and families I'd add in. And my OCD decided it would be lovely if the individuals were all kinda evenly spaced?

So yeah, I did the thing.

I had mercy on myself and limited it a bit. I started with contemporary members of the Great Houses of each region of Westeros, plus the Targaryens. From there, I included anyone I could connect via known kinship, be it parent, child, sibling, cousin, spouse, or an non-married relationship if I thought it was significant enough. (Though do note that 'cousin' doesn't necessarily mean first cousin.) The 'Wiki of Ice and Fire' was an invaluable resource.

Full credit goes to the aforementioned El-Daddy's tree for the idea of colour-coding individuals by region. Because visually it's really helpful, so I stole-- ahem, borrowed the idea. (I really hope they aren't mad. At that specifically, and my picking up the family tree idea in general.) I changed the Targaryens/Crownlands to purple though, because it was too similar to the Westerlands red. And for some reason my brain tells me purple is a royal colour? *shrugs* Also, since I stole purple away, there was only one option left for Essos and other foreigners... which is why Khal Drogo of all people is in baby pink.

So yeah. What do you think? Feel free to let me know if you see any mistakes, be it in spelling, colour, family links, nicknames, people omitted... With a tree this big, human error has almost certainly entered into it somewhere. Probably multiple times.

(Also, If you're a Chrome user and the pic's kinda... jagged? Try zooming out twice. It works for me.)

That's bizarre. It opens fine for me. It's zoomed out to fit the window because it's very big, so I have to click it to zoom in, if that helps.

If your browser won't display it, maybe save and open in your preferred image viewing program. Or you can download from here and do the same.

Is anyone else having this problem?

32 minutes ago, Tibbie said:

That's bizarre. It opens fine for me. It's zoomed out to fit the window because it's very big, so I have to click it to zoom in, if that helps.

If your browser won't display it, maybe save and open in your preferred image viewing program. Or you can download from here and do the same.

Same as as @Travis with me too.

Sorry, it's not working for me using Chrome on a 10 inch Android tablet. It seems like I'm only getting a thumbnail. I can zoom it some, but then the text is too fuzzy to read.

In case it matters, I don't have an imgur account.

Looking forward to seeing your work once we get this sorted out!

4 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Chrome on a 10 inch Android tablet

I do wonder if it's a tablet issue. I'm on PC. Anyone else having trouble also on tablet?

Or a 'tablet in conjunction with browser' issue? Can I ask, did you try downloading the image and viewing? Or the dropbox link? (This is very frustrating.)

That's fun.

"Joffrey the Illborn," one of the Cerwyn knights growled. "Small wonder he's faithless, with the Kingslayer for a father."

I'd forgotten about that epithet. Fits.

• 5 months later...

Hey I just saw this. Nice work!

You should have tagged me so I'd see this sooner, but thank you nonetheless for your kind words and for crediting me!

Would you happen to have a list of the changes you made? Just in case some of them are ones I missed out on, rather than didn't include for other reasons.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:18 AM, Tibbie said:

Trying using the imgur app on iPad and I can’t see anything. Not properly. Looks basically the same as opening through imgur on browser (chrome). :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 4:51 AM, Ambrose H said:

What do the perpendicular lines mean, in the cases of Aegon I, Aenys I, etc.? Is it just tracking the current king?

Was a little confused, then figured out you meant the crosses in the boxes. (Presumably? Correct me if I'm wrong.) In which case yes, those are kings. They're not on the key because I forgot they were there. Only added them in for my own curiosity, and forgot to disable their appearance before copying the tree. (That said, I've actually done up a html version of the tree I may get around to posting at some point, where I've replaced crosses with little white crowns, which are much more self-explanatory.)

On 1/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Nice work btw. It boggles my mind but it's fun to look through.

Thanks! Was a lot of fun to put together (if daunting at times).

Archived