THE WHEEL OF TIME TV Show: The braid tugs, as the writing wills [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

I read the majority of these books in HS.  Don't think I ever finished them and I graduated HS 11 years ago so I frankly how no idea how it wound up.  I started the audio book of book 1 recent to and from work so that gives me an hour each day and I'm enjoying it.  The dialogue and inner dialogue of Rand is kind of shit so far but I hope that improves as the journey progresses.  I'm seeing some corny things that I hope they take out but at the same time seeing HOW this could be fantastic.  If they get the trollocs right, them raiding the village can be great.  I'm not very far but there's a lot of potential I'm seeing here.

In one Thread, called the Third WOT TV Thread by some, a braid was tugged. The tug was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings in the endless cycle of Internet threads. But it was a beginning.

I'm not a fan of the Wheel of Time novels (very particular in my choice of fantasy literature) but am still greatly interested to see what the TV adaption comes out like (yay, more high-budget high fantasy on TV!!), as I think there is the possibility that the same story conveyed through visual medium (sans Jordan's rather, to my eyes at least, impenetrable and exaggerated purple prose) might actually work better as a fantasy drama than it does on the page. 

The world-building itself seems pretty solid (if a bit too derivative of Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring in the first book, The Eye of the World, which is the only one I've read in any great depth), I just don't like Jordan's writing style very much (too verbose, inherently self-contradictory and tedious for me). So, bring on the television adaption.

Moiraine of Aes Sedai is a female Gandalf figure, no? Intriguing that they are kind of emphasising her as the first season's 'lead' character over Rand. 

Big fan of Rosamund Pike - she was equally impressive in both Pride and Prejudice as the beautiful, sweet and demure Jane Bennet and in Gone Girl as a cold, calculating sociopath. What a coup for the show to nab such a famous, award-winning actress!

1 hour ago, Krishtotter said:

Moiraine of Aes Sedai is a female Gandalf figure, no? Intriguing that they are kind of emphasising her as the first season's 'lead' character over Rand.

If you are interested, even though you're not a WoT fan, you may enjoy this you tuber video. In it he gets into why he feels Moiraine is the ultimate evolution of the fantasy "wizard" character. It's very good. (starts at 2 min into the video) and will also explain why it makes sense to emphasize Moiraine in the first season (besides the obvious attempt to attract female viewers).

43 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

If you are interested, even though you're not a WoT fan, you may enjoy this you tuber video. In it he gets into why he feels Moiraine is the ultimate evolution of the fantasy "wizard" character. It's very good. (starts at 2 min into the video) and will also explain why it makes sense to emphasize Moiraine in the first season (besides the obvious attempt to attract female viewers).

Thanks, it looks like a very interesting video! 

I'm watching it at the moment. I always enjoy hearing people explain, with enthusiasm, things they are passionate about. 

He notes that Moirane is depicted in a far more 'shady' or grey and even scary way than Gandalf at the beginning, making the reader doubt if she is really 'of the Light' or 'Shadow' until her intentions become clear. 

She transcends fantasy tropes, is his point, and has a great deal of agency (i.e. not just a guide but pushing back against protagonists' decisions).

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well I'll spoiler tag in case

Hide contents

But anyway, I was thinking that Rand really isn't the main character or focus til at least the end of book 2. Certainly not in book 1 when you don't know he's the dragon reborn yet.

Spoiler

Moiraine IDs them as Ta'veren (sp?) and so they are tools to help her achieve here ends. Moiraine is therefore the major character, and the boys are kind of clueless schmos. Personally I wouldn't want Rand pushed to the front until the adapt TDR, in fact new people shouldn't have any clue as to Rand being the Dragon Reborn until about the time Rand does.

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well I'll spoiler tag in case

Hide contents

But anyway, I was thinking that Rand really isn't the main character or focus til at least the end of book 2. Certainly not in book 1 when you don't know he's the dragon reborn yet.

19 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:
  Hide contents

Moiraine IDs them as Ta'veren (sp?) and so they are tools to help her achieve here ends. Moiraine is therefore the major character, and the boys are kind of clueless schmos. Personally I wouldn't want Rand pushed to the front until the adapt TDR, in fact new people shouldn't have any clue as to Rand being the Dragon Reborn until about the time Rand does.

Spoiler

We know Rand is the DR at the end of book 1. They find all that stuff at the Eye, and Moiraine confirms to Nynaeve and I think Egwene that the Dragon has been reborn. Rand channels pretty heavily at the end of book 1: he fights Ishamel, sort of kills Aginor, and destroys the Trolloc army in Tarwin's Gap.

Archived