THE WHEEL OF TIME TV Show: The braid tugs, as the writing wills [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Reveal hidden contents

We know Rand is the DR at the end of book 1. They find all that stuff at the Eye, and Moiraine confirms to Nynaeve and I think Egwene that the Dragon has been reborn. Rand channels pretty heavily at the end of book 1: he fights Ishamel, sort of kills Aginor, and destroys the Trolloc army in Tarwin's Gap.

My memory is obviously hazy.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Reveal hidden contents

We know Rand is the DR at the end of book 1. They find all that stuff at the Eye, and Moiraine confirms to Nynaeve and I think Egwene that the Dragon has been reborn. Rand channels pretty heavily at the end of book 1: he fights Ishamel, sort of kills Aginor, and destroys the Trolloc army in Tarwin's Gap.

Moraine is the only one who knows it's Rand at the end of book one. She whispers, "The Dragon is reborn" to herself. At this point Egwene and Nynaeve just think Rand is only another sorry soul who can channel Saidin.

Edit: Ugh. Is it possible to edit words below spoiler tags when there are none present? I can't make the words appear!

27 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:
  Hide contents

Moraine is the only one who knows it's Rand at the end of book one. She whispers, "The Dragon is reborn" to herself. At this point Egwene and Nynaeve just think Rand is only another sorry soul who can channel Saidin.

Edit: Ugh. Is it possible to edit words below spoiler tags when there are none present? I can't make the words appear!

You need to have a line below where you put the spoiler tag before you insert the spoiler tag.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:
  Hide contents

That's my memory too

OK, so basically, if season 1 is only book 1 (probably not) then in the mind of the viewer 

Spoiler

Rand should be established as the DR by the end. Perrin would have gotten the wolfbrother abilities, and Mat would been under the dagger influence. Egwene and Nynaeve can channel and Moiraine wants to send them to Tar Valon.

But if Moiraine is to be the lead character in season 1, how much of book 2 could be in this season, given she's barely in it, unless some major changes happen?

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

OK, so basically, if season 1 is only book 1 (probably not) then in the mind of the viewer 

Reveal hidden contents

Rand should be established as the DR by the end. Perrin would have gotten the wolfbrother abilities, and Mat would been under the dagger influence. Egwene and Nynaeve can channel and Moiraine wants to send them to Tar Valon.

But if Moiraine is to be the lead character in season 1, how much of book 2 could be in this season, given she's barely in it, unless some major changes happen?

Blasphemy incoming...

Do you need Siuan?  Can her role not appreciably be played by Moiraine?

Judging from the released episode titles, we may be getting book 1 and at least part of book 2 in season one.

• S01E01: Leavetaking (B1:C10 title)
  • S01E02: Shadow's Waiting (B1:C19 title)
  • S01E03: A Place of Safety 
  • S01E04: The Dragon Reborn (B1 climax and Moiraine's confirmation?)
  • S01E06: The Flame of Tar Valon (B2:C1 title)

ETA:  Rafe was asked on Twitter whether season 1 would be book 1 and season 2 be book 2. In typical RJ fashion, he replied, "Yes and No."

Judging from the episode titles, "The Dragon Reborn" could center around telling the prophecy and the meeting from the "Flame of Tar Valon" could get reshuffled into EotW. I think I read they were open to moving events around to serve the greater story. It's been 20 some odd years since I read the initial books, so obviously I'm not 100% certain whether this makes story sense.

54 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Blasphemy incoming...

Do you need Siuan?  Can her role not appreciably be played by Moiraine?

There should be an Amrylin Seat and it shouldn't be Moiraine. It would break the world building somewhat if we have the leader of the Aes Sedai off on her own with just a warder searching for people.

That being said, Moiraine could accompany the girls to Tar Valon, and leave from there to search for stuff.

Ok. I'm going to post an episode guestimate from this Reddit thread:

Episode 1: Leavetakings. Clearly, this will involve the leaving of Emond's Field. Presumably, they'll do the trolloc attack, Moiraine gathering up the boys and leaving. Might skip the epic tale of Manetherin, but we'll see. Not sure how far up the road they'll get before. . .

Episode 2: Shadow's Waiting. "Shadar Logoth" means "Shadow's Waiting," so I figure this episode either starts or ends in Shadar Logoth. If the first episode makes it all the way to Baerlon, then this one probably shows the pursuit, the flight into Shadar Logoth, and then the parties splitting up and Moiraine beginning to hunt them down. If the first episode leaves off right after the departure from Emond's Field, then this one could be the first 10-14 days on the road, with Shadar Logoth being the big finish.

Episode 3: A Place of Safety. I would assume this refers to them all meeting together in Caemlyn. Presumably the bulk of this episode is going to be following everybody on the road and getting to Caemlyn safely. With Rand no longer the main POV character, they could the whole thing with him seeing the false dragon and meeting Elayne et al. Or if they make it to Caemlyn early, maybe they show a bit of this. Presumably the end is them realizing that Caemlyn is not actually safe.

Episode 4: The Dragon Reborn. I'd imagine this would be the flight through the Ways, the search for the eye of the world, and Rand's battle with Balthamel and Aginor.

Episode 5: The Flame of Tar Valon This would presumably be the Amyrlin's visit to Fal Dara at the beginning of book two.

As pointed out there, while it seems ambitious to cover the entire book in 5 episodes, we do get books adapted (abridged) in a 2 hour movie, so maybe it's possible to streamline well.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

There should be an Amrylin Seat and it shouldn't be Moiraine. It would break the world building somewhat if we have the leader of the Aes Sedai off on her own with just a warder searching for people.

That being said, Moiraine could accompany the girls to Tar Valon, and leave from there to search for stuff.

Agreed. You can and should keep Siuan, just change where Moiraine goes for her search, have her at TV for awhile.

Four officially announced titles (ep 1-4) and the 6th episode title was somehow visible if you zoomed in and enhanced one of the other reveal images.

All indications are for a full 8-10 episode season at least, though it's all assumptions and guesses right now.

20 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Moiraine IDs them as Ta'veren (sp?) and so they are tools to help her achieve here ends. Moiraine is therefore the major character, and the boys are kind of clueless schmos. Personally I wouldn't want Rand pushed to the front until the adapt TDR, in fact new people shouldn't have any clue as to Rand being the Dragon Reborn until about the time Rand does.

Spoiler

If the first season covers the first two books, they could end it with Rand fighting Ishamael in the sky, and leave the viewers speculating until the beginning of the next season.

12 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Fingers crossed for whom? Can't keep track of who wanted which actors!

I'm anxious to see who they cast for Lan.

Looks-wise, Sam Elliott. But I also have a hard time picturing him as a gleeman.

The Rock is being cast as Lan ;) 

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Four officially announced titles (ep 1-4) and the 6th episode title was somehow visible if you zoomed in and enhanced one of the other reveal images.

All indications are for a full 8-10 episode season at least, though it's all assumptions and guesses right now.

Some people have voiced concern about adapting one book in 5 episodes, but I think it can be done considering how much of Jordan's writing is exposition which will be replaced by visuals.

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Hell, just have Moraine take Verin’s place during the journey in TGH. That keeps her on screen without having to make up new material.

That would work. But I love Verin. But that would only be one episode (I hope), and Moiraine is at Vandene and Adeleas' searching through books. They could flash to her there and use that to explain some of the history and prophecy perhaps? What is Moiraine doing during most of TGH besides that? She is with them Shienar at the beginning of the book, and shows up at Falme at the end. Is she supposed to be with Vandene and Adeleas for the rest of the book? Geez, I just read it a couple weeks ago, but so much has happened since!

3 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Looks-wise, Sam Elliott. But I also have a hard time picturing him as a gleeman.

Yeah, me too. Once of the other fan favorites is Jeff Bridges, right? I think Timothy Omundson (Galavant) would be great.

9 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The Rock is being cast as Lan ;) 

Ugh! Not funny!  :)

I wonder who the next announcement will be? If they expect to start filming in the fall, we should start getting an avalanche of announcements soon.

Archived