THE WHEEL OF TIME TV Show: The braid tugs, as the writing wills [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Dark skinned is actually most of the world, and of course a lot of Asia. I just thought the descriptions of armour sounded kind of Asian to me in the books. I could never really develop an auditory imagining of the way they speak though. So not sure what kind of accent he was describing.

The armor and other costumes do seem to be eastern Asian inspired, mainly Japan, I think.

The Seanchan are of multiple ethnicities. Tuon is black, but I think other members of the Blood are white. Turak I've pictured white. There's blonde, blue-eyed people like the spy in Ebou Dar and the Seeker of the Truth. Egeanin is dark haired.

Their "slurred" accent for me has always been Eastern European. 

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Dark skinned is actually most of the world, and of course a lot of Asia. I just thought the descriptions of armour sounded kind of Asian to me in the books. I could never really develop an auditory imagining of the way they speak though. So not sure what kind of accent he was describing.

I’ve always thought the slurred speech was more of a reference to how accents change over time when removed from their origins. 

The Seanchan were originally from the main part of “Randland” but have developed differences over time. Same as English changed as people migrated to the new world. 

So while there are visual descriptions of the Seanchan’s culture that eluded to Asian aesthetics, I see their accent as more American English vs UK English than anything.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Funnily enough, I think RJ indicated that the Seanchan accent with its drawl was, in his mind's ear, similar to some form of Texan accent. See here.

Illianers - Dutch? Hell, I always figured Jamaican. :laugh:

10 hours ago, Risto said:

I thought they were African-inspired. Tuon is supposed to be dark skinned. I always imagined Lupita N'yongo as Tuon.

That's how I always saw her as well and N'yongo is near perfect casting.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Aren't the Sean Chan Asian featured?

Seanchan is a colossal supercontinent bigger than North and South America combined. It is home to a multiplicity of ethnic groups, races and cultures, only somewhat loosely bound together under the Seanchan Crystal Throne (see those crazy guys from the Kaensada Hills in the later books, whilst Tylee is from a tranquil island backwater).

The Seanchan were originally from the main part of “Randland” but have developed differences over time. Same as English changed as people migrated to the new world. 

Nope. Seanchan was always home (since the Breaking) to a vast number of different races and cultures. Luthair's invasion fleet and army unified the continent and provided a new ruling class, but it also bought into a lot of native Seanchan customs and ideas, and later interbreeding (not to mention the elevation of natives to the same social class, "the Blood") has rendered the differences somewhat moot over the course of eleven centuries. The overwhelming majority of the population of Seanchan (which is at least twice and more likely three times the population of the Westlands) are natives or native-descended.

Tom Felton - Draco from the Harry Potter movies - is practising swordfighting in Prague for an unknown, upcoming project.

Wheel of Time is a possibility. At 32 he's too old for the leads, but he could easily be Dain Bornhald, Logain or Galad, I think. Galad should be physically more imposing, but I suspect that kind of physicality (people who actually look like they could be fighting on a regular basis) is going to be as present as it was in Game of Thrones (i.e. not really at all).

That fight sequence sure seems choreographed and gives some sort of sense of what's going on.

The general consensus is they're filming the first two books for the first season, yeah? Then if I had to guess what this is, and assuming it's really WoT, it's Rand al'Thor versus Lord Turak, the Seanchan blademaster. Felton's only 31, he could play "Hollywood-21" I suppose.

ETA: Well, that was for nothing. He's starring in Ophelia, a take on Hamlet with a focus on her (Daisy Ridley starring).  He just posted this image of himself, showing it's set in the Middle Ages, and he's got a sword... oh, and he's Laertes.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

That fight sequence sure seems choreographed and gives some sort of sense of what's going on.

The general consensus is they're filming the first two books for the first season, yeah? Then if I had to guess what this is, and assuming it's really WoT, it's Rand al'Thor versus Lord Turak, the Seanchan blademaster. Felton's only 31, he could play "Hollywood-21" I suppose.

ETA: Well, that was for nothing. He's starring in Ophelia, a take on Hamlet with a focus on her (Daisy Ridley starring).  He just posted this image of himself, showing it's set in the Middle Ages, and he's got a sword... oh, and he's Laertes.

Ophelia already has a trailer. He's training for that now?

I think most of us assume that the sword forms with all those creative names are supposed to be inspired by eastern Asian swordsmanship. So if the show runner/producers actually care about that, wouldn't it be beneficial to have the actors trained from the start in those styles? 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Ophelia already has a trailer. He's training for that now?

I think most of us assume that the sword forms with all those creative names are supposed to be inspired by eastern Asian swordsmanship. So if the show runner/producers actually care about that, wouldn't it be beneficial to have the actor trained from the start in those styles? 

Who says he's training now? That could be a video taken months ago that he was told not to post before the release of the film. And Ophelia was filmed in the Czech Republic.

ETA: And the person he's fighting with sure looks like that film's fight coordinator, Roman Spacil

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Seanchan is a colossal supercontinent bigger than North and South America combined. It is home to a multiplicity of ethnic groups, races and cultures, only somewhat loosely bound together under the Seanchan Crystal Throne (see those crazy guys from the Kaensada Hills in the later books, whilst Tylee is from a tranquil island backwater).

Nope. Seanchan was always home (since the Breaking) to a vast number of different races and cultures. Luthair's invasion fleet and army unified the continent and provided a new ruling class, but it also bought into a lot of native Seanchan customs and ideas, and later interbreeding (not to mention the elevation of natives to the same social class, "the Blood") has rendered the differences somewhat moot over the course of eleven centuries. The overwhelming majority of the population of Seanchan (which is at least twice and more likely three times the population of the Westlands) are natives or native-descended.

So allegorically Sheanchan is greater America with a multi-ethnic make up similar to contemporary America and the WoT story takes place in Europe / West Asia.

48 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So allegorically Sheanchan is greater America with a multi-ethnic make up similar to contemporary America and the WoT story takes place in Europe / West Asia.

Pretty much, yeah.

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The armor and other costumes do seem to be eastern Asian inspired, mainly Japan, I think.

Jordan was a huge Asian military fan.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Tom Felton - Draco from the Harry Potter movies - is practising swordfighting in Prague for an unknown, upcoming project.

Wheel of Time is a possibility. At 32 he's too old for the leads, but he could easily be Dain Bornhald, Logain or Galad, I think. Galad should be physically more imposing, but I suspect that kind of physicality (people who actually look like they could be fighting on a regular basis) is going to be as present as it was in Game of Thrones (i.e. not really at all).

Ha ha! I knew you were a guy when I saw you suggested Galad for him. Galad is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL, makes all the girls sigh. Tom Felton is certainly not that. Too bad he's been cast in Ophelia. He would be great for Bornhald. He got that shify, sleezy look down very well in HP.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Galads supposed to be slender and strong though, not bulky. Gawyn is more physically imposing.

Perrin's supposed to be massive, and I hope they find someone who fits that. Rand's not super buff either, and Mat certainly isn't. Lan's supposed to be tall and imposing. 

For the most part, barring the Aiel, the men of WoT aren't all that physically imposing in description.

23 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't think most of the world is dark skinned. More like half.  The Aiel are only "sun-dark"; they are naturally fair. And some countries are mixed, like Andor and Tear. And of course dark skinned can vary from Mediterranean or Native American, to Indian, to African. The only people I recall being described as African dark are from Seanchan.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

They plan to start shooting in 3 months?

So like @SansaJonRule said, the casting annou; they're announcements should start pouring in relatively soon.

IF they are on schedule!

1 minute ago, SansaJonRule said:

I don't think most of the world is dark skinned. More like half. And some countries are mixed, like Andor and Tear. And of course dark skinned can vary from Mediterranean or Native American, to Indian, to African. The only people I recall being described as African dark are from Seanchan.

IF they are on schedule!

"African dark" is quite a generalisation, since in sub-Saharan Africa you still have quite a variation. And in the South Pacific there are ethnicities every bit as dark skinned as the darkest of African ethnicities.

3 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Galads supposed to be slender and strong though, not bulky. Gawyn is more physically imposing.

Perrin's supposed to be massive, and I hope they find someone who fits that. Rand's not super buff either, and Mat certainly isn't. Lan's supposed to be tall and imposing. 

For the most part, barring the Aiel, the men of WoT aren't all that physically imposing in description.

Yes, Galad has a slender grace. I never got the impression he was physically imposing cuz he is bulky; he is very tall (6'5" which makes him even taller than Rand).

I think it's gonna be hard to find someone who is massive enough to be Perrin. I imagine someone is gonna have to some serious weight training. Lan will be difficult to cast accurately too. How many people do you know who have a face that's all hard planes and angles? LOL

I know Rand's not super buff, but I think he's pretty muscular (chopping wood, sheering sheep--not easy work), and he's VERY broad shouldered. But yeah, I think the WoT people will be a variety like any other.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

"African dark" is quite a generalisation, since in sub-Saharan Africa you still have quite a variation. And in the South Pacific there are ethnicities every bit as dark skinned as the darkest of African ethnicities.

Yes, that's true, I was generalizing. You're talking about the South Pacific islands? I never can remember what those ethnicities are called; I always have to look it up.

Archived