THE WHEEL OF TIME TV Show: The braid tugs, as the writing wills [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

No, we're talking same thing, just from a different POV. ;)

In the Tam healing scene, I'd guess they wouldn't show any weaves. IF we're seeing it from Rand's POV. Later when Moiraine is teaching Egwene, we would see the weaves, from Egwene's POV. Then the camera could switch to Rand/Perrin/Whoever, who sees nothing. Now if the story starts with Moiraine and we follow her, then naturally we'd see the weaves when she heals Tam.

And the camera doesn't need to be over Moiraine's shoulder for her POV. She just needs to be the main driver of the scene, the one the camera follows.

But you're right. The huge battles where both male and female powers are being used would be trickier. They could both show or not show depending on who the camera is following.  Or just show every weave. Hopefully they've cracked it so it makes sense from a visual storytelling point of view and a budgetary. 

I would still love to see some of Rand's weaves when he lays waste to the shadowspawn at Maradon. Hell, I'm excited to see Rodel Ituralde and the entire defense of Maradon.

I probably said this before but I hope they introduce Ituralde and the other Great Captains sooner.  Davram Bashere hunting for Taim.  Ituralde as Arad Doman is falling apart, and the Seachan invade.  Niall, Jagad and Bryne should already be in the first season.  But the other two should begin at least beginning season 2.

Considering the Shadow has Forsaken as their Great Captains, the Light's Captains should clash with them militarily and perhaps personally long before the Last Battle.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I probably said this before but I hope they introduce Ituralde and the other Great Captains sooner.  Davram Bashere hunting for Taim.  Ituralde as Arad Doman is falling apart, and the Seachan invade.  Niall, Jagad and Bryne should already be in the first season.  But the other two should begin at least beginning season 2.

Considering the Shadow has Forsaken as their Great Captains, the Light's Captains should clash with them militarily and perhaps personally long before the Last Battle.

Interesting idea. And I'm not opposed, but that would create a need for story arcs that aren't in the books for all of those characters. Assuming the show completes its run (7ish seasons?) the writers would have to create a lot for them to do that doesn't exist in the books. Otherwise you'd have a "Gendry situation" were he has an arc, then disappears only to re-emerge several seasons later.

2 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Interesting idea. And I'm not opposed, but that would create a need for story arcs that aren't in the books for all of those characters. Assuming the show completes its run (7ish seasons?) the writers would have to create a lot for them to do that doesn't exist in the books. Otherwise you'd have a "Gendry situation" were he has an arc, then disappears only to re-emerge several seasons later.

Well, as it seems they're doing 2 books per season (or is that just a rumour?) they need to speed up the story without losing the content.  Story arcs all over Randland would help with that.  Doesn't have to take a lot of screen time.

40 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Well, as it seems they're doing 2 books per season (or is that just a rumour?) they need to speed up the story without losing the content.  Story arcs all over Randland would help with that.  Doesn't have to take a lot of screen time.

Rumors at this point. They haven’t announced the rest of the season one cast yet so we still don’t know what the initial season entails. 

This piece on the Tor.com site, considering the knickers in a twist about the casting of some of the characters might be of interest to the posters on this thread:

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/20/from-the-two-rivers-casting-and-race-in-the-wheel-of-time/#more-489205

I never read those books; tried once and couldn't get past the first paragraphs, so I never imprinted like the 12-year-olds did on Tor's misleading cover art that all the characters are white, despite what's in the text.  But clearly millions did read these books when 12 and as the writer says, his entire world was default white, so no matter what the text said, the white cover art was part of his default white mind's eye while reading.

ETA: apologies to the poster who, several days ago, about three screens back, already posted about this.  As I'm not personally interested in either the books or show, I don't usually skim through this thread.  But I was catching up with Tor.com from the days I was gone and thought this was interesting -- I've seen in quite a few places a great deal of anger over the idea that any of these characters might be played by actors who aren't, you know, white, and that this is a travesty of Jordan's books.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:13 PM, Corvinus said:

Judkins would be smart to hire an artist or two dedicated to creating a library of weave patterns for everything they put in the show. If GoT had a language expert for the creation of 2 languages, WoT can have artists to create a "language" of weaves.

Yeah I think they definitely need to do something like this. The Magicians had someone do something similar with the hand gestures it used for spell casting and I think having it created properly really adds the necessary consistency to feel more real. Speaking of hand gestures, I realised I have no idea what level of hand gestures, if any, are associated with weaving - are the books clear on this?

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I think they definitely need to do something like this. The Magicians had someone do something similar with the hand gestures it used for spell casting and I think having it created properly really adds the necessary consistency to feel more real. Speaking of hand gestures, I realised I have no idea what level of hand gestures, if any, are associated with weaving - are the books clear on this?

The Magicians spell casting is based on the dance moves called "tutting", but limit it to just the fingers and hands.  For the show they call it finger tutting.  I think they brought in tutting dance choreographers to invent it.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

The books state the gestures are not necessary at all though some channelers  use them to help focus.  It seems dependent on how they began to learn the weaves.   The show should be able to get away with anything and still be fairly faithful.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

Hand gestures are mostly an Aes Sedai thing, some of whom claim they can tell who your teacher was by the gestures you use. We have the motions for some weaves, but they're not set in stone. They can do whatever.

The gestures are a psychological thing - if you learn them when you learn the weave, then you have to do them to make it work. If you learn the weave without making any gestures, then you don’t need them.

Thanks for the clarifications! I think they should just stick with some form of body movement for all weaving, I feel like it's a lot less clear to the audience without a visual signifier that they're doing something. 

On 8/24/2019 at 1:23 AM, SpaceChampion said:

A lot of things would need to changed/modified. One problem I had with mid-to-late WOT, is that the balance between the armies and the (masses of) powerful channelers seemed off. What was all the point of the huge conventional armies when channelers were so massively powerful, and appearing in ever greater numbers? The show should make up its mind on those aspects early - either have only few powerful channelers, and focus more on the importance of armies (and thus Ituralde and Bryne and co), or focus on channeler inflation and don't spend much time on the armies (which will become cannon fodder).

This adaptation has possibilities, in the sense that the core of the books is quite good but lots of change is needed. Since a TV-show will need to do that anyway, they could easily dump a lot of nearly indistinguishable Aes Sedai, for example. Modernise the characters and differentiate them much more than RJ used to do.

What is Amazon's reputation when it comes to using sex to draw viewers? If they are like HBO, this aspect could hold promise for them because WOT certainly holds possibilities there, if they insist on a certain interpretation. I hope they don't go this route, to avoid scenes like the infamous "sexposition" in one of GOT's seasons.

19 minutes ago, Wouter said:

What is Amazon's reputation when it comes to using sex to draw viewers? If they are like HBO, this aspect could hold promise for them because WOT certainly holds possibilities there, if they insist on a certain interpretation. I hope they don't go this route, to avoid scenes like the infamous "sexposition" in one of GOT's seasons.

I watched Episode 1 of The Boys on Amazon last night.  I don't consider sex to be a "draw" of that show, but it certainly did not shy away from it at all.  With at least one instance of full frontal male nudity.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

AFAIK, The Boys is by far Amazon's raunchiest show to date, and the gore did more to attract viewers than any sexual content did. WoT has (or can have) plenty of gore.

I think it was definitely more gore and swearing. A lot of the sex was covered or implied. But gore an swearing works as a draw too. A good concept capturing the zeitgeist of media manufacturing of celebrities and flawed heroes was probably the biggest draw. WOT ideally needs to capture something that's "current". Being the "next GOT" will get some attention but there are at least three other shows ( including a GOT soun off) going to be making the same claim so it needs something else.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

I think it was definitely more gore and swearing. A lot of the sex was covered or implied. But gore an swearing works as a draw too. A good concept capturing the zeitgeist of media manufacturing of celebrities and flawed heroes was probably the biggest draw. WOT ideally needs to capture something that's "current". Being the "next GOT" will get some attention but there are at least three other shows ( including a GOT soun off) going to be making the same claim so it needs something else.

Besides the GOT spin-off, what are the two (or more) others you are thinking off?

Just now, Wouter said:

OK. And LOTR is also produced by Amazon, isn't it?

It is. I think a few people were surprised they'd go ahead with both shows (conan was also an option earlier on but was dropped). I guess Amazon has the pockets for two fantasy shows and I'm sure there's room for both but if one fares badly compared to the other it could be bad news for the weaker show. 

Archived