Why are big name actors doing TV?

SansaJonRule

19 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Watching Dark lately has made me think back to the 80's and how I would have LOVED something this good back then. The closest I got when I was growing up was Twin Peaks. Now everything is Twin Peaks good. (There is a ton of shit too having said that)

I think the rise in the quality of TV shows has also coincided with the fall of movies. The way things seem to work now is that a movie is either an enormous blockbuster that has to spend big to make mega money, or it has to be a low budget film that cuts costs everywhere and relies on a gimmick or word of mouth to make profit.

There is very little that is in-between any more. That is a problem for a lot of actors I think. If they are lucky enough to be cast in the huge movie of the week / month then they can take home a massive pay cheque, even if its creatively moribund. Or they can be paid very little to work on a small indie movie that nobody will ever see. 

TV gives you that in between I suspect. You can make decent money, people will see it, and you also get the chance to really develop a character and feel like you have created something worthwhile and don't have to be ashamed of your career.

Unfortunately true.

Movies for the last several years are compiled mostly of superheroes, remakes/reboots, oscar bait, the usual shitty horrors around October time and kids movies (which are going down the remake well a lot lately too) It's completely stale.

How many quality American movies came out in 2018 which you would highly recommend, but don't fit into one of the above criteria?  I doubt I could name more than two or three films.  On the other hand, I could easily name a half dozen American tv shows I enjoyed immensely in 2018.

3 hours ago, dooog said:

Unfortunately true.

Movies for the last several years are compiled mostly of superheroes, remakes/reboots, oscar bait, the usual shitty horrors around October time and kids movies (which are going down the remake well a lot lately too) It's completely stale.

How many quality American movies came out in 2018 which you would highly recommend, but don't fit into one of the above criteria?  I doubt I could name more than two or three films.  On the other hand, I could easily name a half dozen American tv shows I enjoyed immensely in 2018.

Hereditary, A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Annihilation, Bad Times at the El Royale, Leave No Trace, The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, Eighth Grade, Mandy, Mid90s...

There’s always good movies coming out. Some of them you just have to seek out a bit more. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

No superstars though. I'll be surprised if Cruise, Smith, Hanks, Leo etc do TV.

Weirdly I cant think of Amy women who are 'too big for TV', not sure if that says more about me or Hollywood. 

Well Hanks did Band of Brothers, Will Smith was in that Netlflix movie about the elves and stuff..

Essentially I think that the top tier of actors don't need to move to TV because there is so much demand for them in movies already, the pay is there. If most big movies coming out feature one of these guys then they will always have work.

44 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Hereditary, A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Annihilation, Bad Times at the El Royale, Leave No Trace, The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, Eighth Grade, Mandy, Mid90s...

There’s always good movies coming out. Some of them you just have to seek out a bit more. 

Having seen almost all those movies I know how few and far between decent mid sized films are, we might get 3-4 a year sometimes, and its becoming rarer. Compare and contrast to only a few years ago when I could pick something to watch every week. 

Netflix and on demand has really just killed the movie industry and pushed up TV's importance. I'm not so unhappy at that idea. I don't miss the huge sums I was laying out to go to the cinema all the time, and TV has a more personal effect on me sometimes.

On 6/27/2019 at 3:29 AM, dooog said:

It's been happening for quite a while now. The golden age of tv ushered in by the likes of Oz, The Sopranos, The Wire, hell even 24 and Lost in the early/mid 00s.. then gaining even more mainstream appeal with Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones. Since then tv has become a highly respected medium, especially compared to what it was 20 years ago.

Some other well recognised movie stars that've ventured into television:  Matthew McWhatshisface,  Tom Hiddleston, Amy Adams, Kevin Spacey, Ewan McGregor, Bllly Bob Thornton, Dwayne Johnson, Sissy Spacek, Brendan Gleeson, Jason Bateman, Ben Mendelsohn, Steve Buscemi, Ron Perlman, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Claire Danes, Gabriel Byrne, Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Ed Harris, Vince Vaughn, Michelle Monaghan, Benicio Del Toro, John Leguizamo, Kirsten Dunst and the list goes on. Not to mention some amazing stage actors like Michael Cristofer and Charles Dance.

Ian McShane is a bad example though, He was a so-so tv actor whose breakthrough was Deadwood.

In the UK they have repeats of his show Lovejoy from the late 80s/early 90s on one of the nostalgia tv channels on cable, I’ve occasionally seen a few minutes of the odd episode while flicking through and it’s so weird seeing a young Al Swereangen as a slightly shady antiques dealer in the English countryside.

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well Hanks did Band of Brothers,

Hanks produced Band of Brothers. He wasn't in Band of Brothers.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Will Smith did something or other in TV at some stage. After all, he came from the teevee, and he's well aware of how strongly a show can connect with audiences in a way film finds much more difficult. But it'd be more along the lines of a miniseries than something continuous.

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Weirdly I cant think of Amy women who are 'too big for TV', not sure if that says more about me or Hollywood. 

Dwayne Johnson / The Rock is the highest paid actor in Hollywood and he's been doing HBO's Ballers for a few years now.

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Seriously? I can name a couple off the top of my head: I would have thought Meryl Streep was too big for TV. She's been a top actress for what, 40 years? Cate Blanchett. Scarlett Johanssen. And I would be shocked to see Jennifer Anniston return to TV.

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Netflix and on demand has really just killed the movie industry and pushed up TV's importance. I'm not so unhappy at that idea. I don't miss the huge sums I was laying out to go to the cinema all the time, and TV has a more personal effect on me sometimes.

Agree totally. $12/ticket. Dinner and a movie has become ridiculous. for anyone on a tight budget, it has become a treat rather than a frequent date. Which is sad cuz that used to be our typical night out.

16 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Seriously? I can name a couple off the top of my head: I would have thought Meryl Streep was too big for TV. She's been a top actress for what, 40 years? Cate Blanchett. Scarlett Johanssen. And I would be shocked to see Jennifer Anniston return to TV. 

All four of those women are either currently making TV shows or already have done and are waiting on them to come out.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

George Clooney did a TV (not ER, but something new) and Denzel Washington was a guest director at Grey's Anatomy.

42 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Cate Blanchett is doing a TV show. It is in preproduction.

Jennifer Aniston should have never left TV.

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

All four of those women are either currently making TV shows or already have done and are waiting on them to come out.

Blanchett is in the forthcoming Stateless, Streep is right now on HBO's Big Little Lies, Aniston on the forthcoming The Morning Show with Reese Witherspoon (who bankrolled BLL's success into a massive payday for this show, according to all accounts). Johansson, though? Not sure what TV show she's on, unless you suspect she'll be appearing in a Disney+ show?

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Blanchett is in the forthcoming Stateless, Streep is right now on HBO's Big Little Lies, Aniston on the forthcoming The Morning Show with Reese Witherspoon (who bankrolled BLL's success into a massive payday for this show, according to all accounts). Johansson, though? Not sure what TV show she's on, unless you suspect she'll be appearing in a Disney+ show?

I knew Meryl Streep is in BLL, which shocked the heck out me. But Cate Blanchett???? :blink:  Knock me over with a freaking feather!!!!!!! Maybe we'll be seeing Jennifer Lawrence in a tv show soon.

I wonder who the next big male actor to hit TV will be? Who would be most shocking to y'all? Mine would be Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery, I guess. Also, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Denzel Washington guest starring on a tv show doesn't count, IMO. Heck, Charleton Heston and Bruce Willis guest starred on "Friends" (Yeah, I know, Bruce Willis started in TV, but has been big time movie actor ever since.)

Maybe the reason women don't seem to be "too big" for tv compared to men is because men get paid more on average than women in Hollywood.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I knew Meryl Streep is in BLL, which shocked the heck out me. But Cate Blanchett???? :blink:  Knock me over with a freaking feather!!!!!!! Maybe we'll be seeing Jennifer Lawrence in a tv show soon.

I wonder who the next big male actor to hit TV will be? Who would be most shocking to y'all? Mine would be Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery, I guess. Also, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Denzel Washington guest starring on a tv show doesn't count, IMO. Heck, Charleton Heston and Bruce Willis guest starred on "Friends" (Yeah, I know, Bruce Willis started in TV, but has been big time movie actor ever since.)

Maybe the reason women don't seem to be "too big" for tv compared to men is because men get paid more on average than women in Hollywood.

Pay might be part of it but I also think that there are probably more varied and interesting parts for women in TV - especially, but not confined to, more mature actors.

28 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

Pay might be part of it but I also think that there are probably more varied and interesting parts for women in TV - especially, but not confined to, more mature actors.

I think one big difference is that a supporting/secondary role on a TV show means you're still showing up in basically every episode, whereas a similar role in a film would be confined to a couple of scenes.  

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Johansson, though? Not sure what TV show she's on, unless you suspect she'll be appearing in a Disney+ show?

My bad, I just didn't dig deep enough on her wiki, which states she's developing a show of Custom for the Country but the link was from 2014.

That said, that does indicate a willingness to do TV even if that project didn't get off the ground.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, SansaJonRule said:

We've got Kevin Costner in Yellowstone, Anthony Hopkins in Westworld, Donald Sutherland has done a few short lived TV series, Ian McShane in Deadwood, Meryl Streep in Big Little Lies. These are BIG names.

Which well known films has Ian McShane been in? He has only ever been known as a TV actor to me. I can name lots of films the other three very famous actors have been in off the top of my head. Ian McShane? I can't think of a single one. 

On 6/27/2019 at 3:15 AM, SansaJonRule said:

It's hard to believe it's been over 10 years since The Sopranos and The Wire! I didn't watch either one of them (don't like the subject matter of either), but I remember hearing about them.

It's been 20 years since The Sopranos aired. TWENTY. 

I also get the perception this is more of a US phenomenon. I think it exists to an extent in the UK but i don’t think actors get tied up so much in the TV/Film labels. Maybe that is just me though.

There also seems to be more dipping in and out of theatre tv and films over here, though i’ve noticed a lot of US actors seem to like trying theatre now too

30 minutes ago, Isis said:

Which well known films has Ian McShane been in? He has only ever been known as a TV actor to me. I can name lots of films the other three very famous actors have been in off the top of my head. Ian McShane? I can't think of a single one. 

It's been 20 years since The Sopranos aired. TWENTY. 

John Wick.. Pirates of the Caribbean.. Sexy Beast 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

It's been 20 years since The Sopranos aired. TWENTY

Wow it really is :o, I was 11 when it came out so I didn’t see it but do have memories of seeing a few scenes here and there as it was a show my dad really liked.

I actually watched it when I was 18 or 19 for the first time and loved it, in fact I think it’s about time for a rewatch!.

Archived