D&D's direction (sucks)

Rose of Red Lake

Miguel Sapochnik tells all:

Sapochnik revealed he shot a scene of Cersei and Tommen through bars to symbolise being imprisoned, as well as matching a cut of Maester Aemon on his death bed with a pillow under his head to him on a funeral pyre with the pillow still present. "[Benioff and Weiss] said [it was] 'so self-conscience and we hate it basically'," he told IndieWire. "I was visually policed for the first three months of my shoot and it made the creation of [second episode] Hardhome really difficult because I pissed them off.," recalled Sapochnik, who quickly learned Benioff and Weiss liked a classic, unified, David Lean style and frowned on a director imposing his own specific cinematic flair to their show...Dan and David don't want to be told you can't do something," he added of collaborating with the pair. "You need to offer a solution as well." (X)

On Episode 5: 

“The destruction of King’s Landing, for me, has always been an audience participation event. You wanted this, you wanted this, you wanted this. Here. Is that really what you wanted?” asked Sapochnik. “I felt like there was this thing of this bloodthirstiness that exists in the fans, for revenge, for this payback that is personified by Dany. I just wanted to get to the core of what that actually means. Because even though the characters that don’t exist in the end, what you’re looking for, as an audience member, is death and destruction. I wanted people to know how bad death and destruction can be in the safe environment they’re living in.” (x)

On Episode 3:

He also says he argued with Benioff and Weiss over the battle’s dearth of impactful deaths. “I wanted to kill everyone,” he says in news that really makes us wish he were running the show. “I wanted to kill Jorah in the horse charge at the beginning. I wanted it to be ruthless, so in the first 10 minutes you could say all bets are off, anyone could die. But David and Dan didn’t want to. There was a lot of back and forth on that.” Sapochnick says he eventually relented because “there comes a point when they dig in and you just don’t want to be there.” (x)

So basically...

Sapochnik: hey guys I read the script and I was thinking that maybe we could make it less sucky by adding some high stakes and emotion to the ep?

D&D: :thumbsdown:

6 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Miguel Sapochnik tells all:

On Episode 5: 

On Episode 3:

So basically...

Sapochnik: hey guys I read the script and I was thinking that maybe we could make it less sucky by adding some high stakes and emotion to the ep?

D&D: :thumbsdown:

The fact that Sapochnik was willing to outright say that D&D aren't responsive to criticism and make your work life terrible for disagreeing with them shows that all their proud mockery of Barristan's death (which they wrote out of spite) is not hyperbole. They really are just shitty writers, shitty directors, and shitty human beings.

Interesting. All of  Sapochinik's suggestions seem to have been in a good direction. A shame that he wasn't listened to.

I'm also surprised by the amount of open criticism from actors and directors that D&D are receiving, and shortly after the show's conclusion. I don't recall this happening in any other major tv show.

D and D aka the diabolical duo...the stereotypical brainless white male egoists who have mistaken George r.r. Martin's genius for their own. They're not even mediocre, just outright lousy writers, a pair of lackwits. in fact an average Japanese 13 year old highschool girl possesses a vastly superior intellect to these two dotards. They can neither write nor direct and should be ashamed of themselves. The travesty of a final season should be enough for HBO to blacklist them...most forum members here would have done a better job, and I mean that. To see them parade their substandard intellects around like a pair of peacocks is disgusting. Shame. Shame. Shame.

53 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I like his first two points. Disagree on episode 3.  You can’t just kill characters to kill them. Jorah and Theon got impactful deaths. The more you do, the more you dilute that. 

The so called 'inpactful' deaths of that episode were very selective and very hollywoodesque...including the night king's!

3 hours ago, Uilliam said:

The so called 'inpactful' deaths of that episode were very selective and very hollywoodesque...including the night king's!

So? Either you kill a major character like Jamie or Brienne and that because the biggest death of the episode and Jorah and Theon become afterthoughts or you kill smaller characters like Piod, Gendry or Greyworm and they end up being afterthoughts like Beric. I’m fine with the balance they struck 

39 minutes ago, lancerman said:

So? Either you kill a major character like Jamie or Brienne and that because the biggest death of the episode and Jorah and Theon become afterthoughts or you kill smaller characters like Piod, Gendry or Greyworm and they end up being afterthoughts like Beric. I’m fine with the balance they struck 

I certainly disagree with the decision to have Jorah ride out and never ride back.  That's as cheap a death as Barristan Selmy getting killed by some faceless nobody's with daggers.  My problem isn't so much that they didn't relentlessly kill two dozen main cast members for the hell of it, it's that they set up so many situations that the characters should have been killed by and they all survived.  They developed plot armor in a show that used to pride itself on having no plot armor.  Especially since D&D have been killing far more characters from the source material than George has.  Not only that, but a lot of characters survived this massacre to go on and do (depending on who we're talking about) very little to absolutely nothing important enough to the overall plot to justify them making it past this episode.  Dolorous Edd surviving would have made more sense because he was technically lord commander of the Night's Watch, he could have seen Jon off as he went beyond the wall for good.  Theon could have been the one to convince Yara not to pursue independence for the Iron Islands and it would have given that part of the ending some semblance of believability.  Just two examples right there.  Gendry's legitimization was probably a book event that was shoehorned in just because it's a thing that will happen, he didn't really serve any purpose beyond episode three.  What more purpose did Podrick serve besides just showing back up at the end?  What purpose did Brienne serve beyond showing back up at the end?  What did Jaime do beyond this episode besides destroy all of his character development in one episode?  If they were going to kill any characters off they certainly could have chosen better is all I'm saying.  

Archived