Would it have been better to not finish the Series?

lhermite

What if D&D and HBO decided to do some very wild and unpredictable, but with huge potential to stay heavy faithful to the story; finishing the series with the stories of AFFC & ADWD.

What happens next? No real answer. I'd say just leave it there, and no one speaks of the project after the LAST (not The Winds of Winter) of the books gets released.

Lots of recasts and everyone getting older and even dying is of course the first thing that comes to mind, that's why, no real answer, it might not happen again.

Still. This would have let D&D to make a 2 or 3 season for the last 2 books in a spectacular way, and maybe add what's finished of TWoW.

Another choice, would have been to end things in Season 4.

Why? Because it is clear that D&D are good adapters but not writers. So why do it, if you are clearly not in the same level.

What would have been your reaction as a Viewer, if one of these paths were chosen?

I didn't really like the show finishing before the books. My preference was for different paths and ending after ADWD. Avoiding as much as possible spoilers for the next books. D&D dumped, changed and created so much of their own, it was more or less what happened. But is was a bad idea. The telling was bad, and it looked like ASoIaF will be bad too.

I believe it would have been better to stop the series where the books ended. And to remake it later when the books will be finish From the beginning, with new writers understanding GRRM story.

Another path I visualize is D&D and GRRM getting to an agreement in the moment they realize books won't be finished in time:

1. don't bother GRRM until Winds of Winter and make PRETWoW seasons until that moment

2. After TWoW, GRRM writes most of the script architecture, and 1 or 2 full episodes, for the final season, that will come before the last book.

Still, in all scenarios it always feels bad that series finishes before books, feels bad for readers. And that was the original mistake, it was always going to be doomed, as they didn't want to see it.

Archived