How to battle pickyness

Lady Winter Rose

So I spent whole day (and last few days) looking for book on my mother tongue (not English) and I end up actually crying out of frustration because I couldn't pick any. 

So, I know you can't suggest books for country you aren't familiar with, but this (crying) isn't actually normal, right? 

Can you advise me how to battle pickyness, because I want to read, but can't pick up any book. 

Find a "guilty pleasure" genre (quotes as I personally feel no guilt), one where you don't mind reading formulaic stuff. Then you can read one of those when there is nothing else available. (Mine is old style detective fiction, I can quite happily read averageish whodunnits all day.)

Or read non fiction to expand your knowledge. That tends to be less gripping, but you can read it when you are looking for something to fill in some time.

3 minutes ago, Peadar said:

Toss a coin between the two most likely contenders. If you don't like the answer, you know you should read the other one.

I was actually crying out of frustration. I don't find this to be of much use. 

If I was able to pick two books, I would buy them both. I wasn't able to pick one. 

Look for books in genres similar to your favorite.  If epic fantasy is your favorite genre (you are on an ASoIaF forum after all) then give a look to historical fiction, historical fantasy, contemporary fantasy, etc.

1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Is this a matter of time to read, or shortage of money? The latter is solvable via public libraries.

It's matter of will. 

Enough time and enough money, but my tummy knots when I have to pick a book. 

There were three post about "getting out of comfort zone" and one whose question clearly show lack of understanding.

I have problem with pickyness not because I choose to ignore all the good books, but because I simply don't see any, not matter how many books I comb through and not matter how wide my preferences are and not matter how I truly wish to pick any.

I feel like hungry man surrounded by bunch of food, and with permission to eat, but he can't eat those food because his mind won't let him.

When I was crying yesterday, all I was looking for: published in recent years, realistic type of novel, my mother tongue - I had tons of options, but I couldn't pick any because my tummy got knots. I was even pale from misery.

I don't really know what you want people to tell you then. Are you asking us to recommend books to you? I really don't see what more people can say than what they already have, which you have (quite rudely I might add) dismissed

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

(quite rudely I might add)

Please, tell me what part of my behavior is rude. I promise I will fix my behavior if you can back this up (yes including with explanation)

I'm saying this due to the fact that I constantly see you call other people rude and I'm under impression this is all you're doing. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are you asking us to recommend books to you?

How could they recommend me a book if I'm Croatian and they are American? Of course I'm not asking for that, just some other suggestion than "broaden my interests". Because my interest can't be broaden because they are already huge. I'm simply unable to pick any. 

48 minutes ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Please, tell me what part of my behavior is rude. I promise I will fix my behavior if you can back this up (yes including with explanation)

I'm saying this due to the fact that I constantly see you call other people rude and I'm under impression this is all you're doing. 

The tone of your responses is what is rude, people are offering some kind of help and you are rather brusquely saying no that's not what I asked. Perhaps it's just your style of writing but it comes across as a bit standoffish.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with my constantly calling other people rude. Are you mistaking me for someone else maybe?

45 minutes ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

How could they recommend me a book if I'm Croatian and they are American? Of course I'm not asking for that, just some other suggestion than "broaden my interests". Because my interest can't be broaden because they are already huge. I'm simply unable to pick any. 

So, again, I'll ask for some clarity on what you want people to do for you

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So, again, I'll ask for some clarity on what you want people to do for you

I'm picky, but not because I want to brush everything off, but because I'm unable to.

I was kind of expecting some kind of mental help support or just "force yourself to pick first book you came across" or something I haven't came up with myself.

For the last couple of years I read all kinds of novel and enjoyed all kinds of novels. Check.

Pick two books and flip a coin - impossible because I'm not able to pick one

Not to mention I haven't finished/read a book for quite a while, maybe six months.

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Perhaps it's just your style of writing

unfortunately, it is + coupled with language issues.

If you have limited options in your native language and none of those options appeal to you, then you can do one of three things:

1.  Reread a book you'd like to experience again.

2.  Read something that some people say is good, even if it doesn't really sound appealing to you.  Maybe those people are onto something?

3.  Not read a book.

It sounds like you're defaulting to option #3, and not too happy about it.  So I'd go with one of the other options. 

13 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Pick two books and flip a coin - impossible because I'm not able to pick one

Do you have a list of available books?

Find some books whose title starts with Ć. Assign them each a number, then read the one selected by a random number generator.

Archived