Sandman Netflix Adaptation: Never 'Nuff Neil

Knight of Ashes

13 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Wonder if Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be involved with this? I know he’s been trying to get a movie made for years. 

Not a fan of him but if he sincerely loves the material and is involved, I'll pry my mind wide open.

11 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Not a fan of him but if he sincerely loves the material and is involved, I'll pry my mind wide open.

It's as weird as the Bradley Cooper wanting to adapt "Hyperion" by dan Simmons.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Got a bad feeling about this one.

Anthologies are popular these days so if they were really brave they could adapt it as a 'season is one graphic novel "(just condense the first graphic novel into The pilot episode and remove batman, etc).

But i suspect it will be a loose adaptation. Also his adaptations vary a lot in quality. I gave up on "american gods" but found "good omens" to be fun. The sandman always felt like Gaiman's most serious work (and arguably his best).

Good luck to them though, it'll certainly be different if they follow the concept of the comics closely.

The Sandman has a very coherent, linear storyline that is told across all ten graphic novels. You could adapt that with relatively little problem.

What is an issue is how many side-stories, road trips and one-off stories there are in which Dream barely shows up, and some of those are the most beloved issues of the comic (the Emperor of the United States of America, the cats, Baghdad, the Shakespeare interludes), but the pacing would be shot to hell if you included them. You'd also need a lead star happy not to appear in ~20% of the story.

I always thought that American Gods was, to some degree, Gaiman trying to encapsulate some of the same ideas and themes of The Sandman into a novel format for people who didn't read comics, and even that has longeurs, side-stories and other interludes that work in the book but feel a lot odder on screen.

It should be animated. Live action is never really going to suit it. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and they make something as brilliant as the source material, but I think the odds are very long on that.

I'm mostly just worried at the moment because Goyer is involved. He's got a proven track record of understanding fuck all about the comics he's involved in adapting, and I'm hoping he's really just a name on the ticket to keep some higher-up who trusts him happy.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

It should be animated. Live action is never really going to suit it. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and they make something as brilliant as the source material, but I think the odds are very long on that.

Some segments could probably benefit from being animated - maybe those occurring in the dreaming? Would help differentiate worlds. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm mostly just worried at the moment because Goyer is involved. He's got a proven track record of understanding fuck all about the comics he's involved in adapting, and I'm hoping he's really just a name on the ticket to keep some higher-up who trusts him happy.

As long as they don't add Simon kinberg to the team.

Archived