Top 10

Mosi Mynn

10 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

I'm not aware of the full extent of it, just what went on around here -- in particular, someone claiming to have read the whole book, and giving raves across the board, when in reality he'd only seen TGO. That, and the bullshit campaign to email Bakker's publisher demanding the release of the last book(s), and how that campaign was conducted here.

Yeah, there was also a separate person who did some unofficial ad campaign for book 4, teasing a bunch of questions that we would get answered, that it turns out we didn't, causes he hadn't actually read the book. It was...weird.

I havent even read Bakker but dipped in to reading the threads for sheer entertainment value. 5% (too generous?) actual discussion, 95% MSJ getting pissy that people didnt fawn over it, the ocassional rise of madness. Fun stuff

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I havent even read Bakker but dipped in to reading the threads for sheer entertainment value. 5% (too generous?) actual discussion, 95% MSJ getting pissy that people didnt fawn over it, the ocassional rise of madness. Fun stuff

The discussion on Bakker had its golden years from 2006 to maybe 2014? This includes the notorious Bakker and Women threads, where Bakker assumed a sock puppet to defend his work. The actual theory discussion involving material from TJE and then WLW reached pretty epic proportions by some serious deep thinkers 'round these parts, a period of contemplation and invention augmented by the lengthy delay. But by the time the last two books came out, the weird drama had been partially revealed and the response was positive to lukewarm on TGO. The release of the last book generated a fairly negative impression among most the long-time readers in here, and became an amusing if frustrating exercise in dealing with obtuse 'defenses' of the series. Most discussion petered out after that, in part by Bakker's own silence on his blog and elsewhere.

I can remember a time when there were three Bakker threads on the front page of Literature. And that was really the biggest issue with The Unholy Consult -- the various theories articulated here, from the philosophical to the potential resolve of the gender issues in the series, were far better than the book we got. 

I don't blame Bakker for being unable to come up with answers as creative as what we had on the board.  There was some pretty intense speculation by a couple dozen people over the course of years.  Within that pressure cooker the good ideas were revealed and the bad ones forgotten, and some of the theories were indeed very interesting and worth exploring.  But instead we got TUC. 

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Bakker threads are non stop lolz if you ask me.  Surprised that you've read them though, though threads were dug deep to hide from the eyes of the mods.

Everyone knows White Noise is DeLillo’s best work

i've liked ratner's star best, though falling man and underworld tie for second.  white noise is what you give to people who haven't read any delillo, by contrast.

Ought I persist? 

probably.  if you dug the road, they share the same imaginary.

Am still expecting RSB part III and considering it all unfinished until then, much like the faerie queen or the canterbury tales or the aeneid.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

Everyone knows White Noise is DeLillo’s best work

i've liked ratner's star best, though falling man and underworld tie for second.  white noise is what you give to people who haven't read any delillo, by contrast.

Ought I persist? 

probably.  if you dug the road, they share the same imaginary.

Am still expecting RSB part III and considering it all unfinished until then, much like the faerie queen or the canterbury tales or the aeneid.

I prefer Mao II to any of those, particularly Underworld, which I found pretty dull outside the opening.

4 hours ago, kuenjato said:

I prefer Mao II to any of those, particularly Underworld, which I found pretty dull outside the opening.

I find all of DeLillo's writing simultaneously fascinatingly crafted and stultifyingly dull. 

1. The Darkness that Comes Before

2. The Warrior Prophet

3. Disciple of the Dog

4. The Unholy Consult

5. The Thousandfold Thought

6. Neuropath

7. The White Luck Warrior

8. The Judging Eye

9. The Great Ordeal

um ...

10. Blindsight by Peter Watts

Please don’t let your perception of this list be distorted by your cognitively limited causal conscious experience.

52 minutes ago, john said:

2. The Warrior Prophet

3. Disciple of the Dog

4. The Unholy Consult

6. Neuropath

8. The Judging Eye

9. The Great Ordeal

um ...

Please don’t let your perception of this list be distorted by your cognitively limited causal conscious experience.

Where's Light, Truth, and Gravity???????????????

Top 5 sci-fi/fantasy 

Dune

Lies of Lock Lamorra 

LoTR

Neuromancer

The first five Amber books

Top 5 'literature' category

Master and Commander, O'Brien 

Watership Down 

The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Chabon (or Kavalier + Clay)

100 Years of Solitude 

The Long Goodbye, Chandler 

These are favorite books - I've read many great/'better' books which were also kind of depressing and so while I appreciate the greatness, I'm not dying to reread 'Things Fall Apart' and the like too many times. Perhaps that's lame of me, but my leisure time is more for my mental renewal vs. getting sad or stressed out (see also not watching movies like 'Requiem for a Dream', etc...)

On 7/17/2019 at 2:22 PM, john said:

2. The Warrior Prophet

3. Disciple of the Dog

4. The Unholy Consult

6. Neuropath

8. The Judging Eye

9. The Great Ordeal

um ...

Hahaha.And all Canadian too. 

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Hahaha.And all Canadian too. 

And all joking aside, most of these are great, thought provoking books.  Deep thinkers, those Canadians.

No Order:  Books in series often mush together for me so hard to pick one.  

Shogun, James Clavell

All Quiet on the Western Front, Remarque

Midnight Tides, Erikson (which is weird since I quit the series about book 9)

Use of Weapons, Banks

Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck

Song of Ice and Fire (no idea which)

Saxon Tales, Cornwell (like the show very much too)

The Thousandfold Thought or The Darkness that Comes Before, Bakker

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco

Heroes Die or Caine Black Knife, Stover

The Walking Drum, Louis L'Amour

The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas

Archived