Top 10

Mosi Mynn

Reading back over this thread has certainly made me glad I gave up on Bakker early.  (I'd been fairly ambivalent after the initial trilogy, but I thought The Judging Eye was awful.)

On 7/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, kuenjato said:

The discussion on Bakker had its golden years from 2006 to maybe 2014? This includes the notorious Bakker and Women threads, where Bakker assumed a sock puppet to defend his work.

Honestly, this incident was probably a non-trivial factor in me giving up on Bakker when I did as well (I think this was pre-TJE, but I might be remembering that wrong?).

That said, I do miss the days when this forum was full of Bakker and Erikson threads (even though I never really cared for the Malazan series either).  These days Abercrombie seems to be the only author who can manage multiple dedicated threads on the first page.

Anyway, my current ten favourite books (limiting myself to one entry per author and counting a "book" as anything I read in a single volume):

The Blind Assassin (Margaret Atwood)
The Player of Games (Iain M Banks)
The Stars My Destination (Alfred Bester)
Ash: A Secret History (Mary Gentle)
The Dispossessed (Ursula K. Le Guin)
A Place of Greater Safety (Hilary Mantel)
Small Gods (Terry Pratchett)
Midnight's Children (Salman Rushdie)
A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth)
Litany of the Long Sun (Gene Wolfe)

... on reflection, this is basically just a list of books I liked in my early twenties, so "current" might not be the right word.

Of books I've read more recently I'd be tempted to find a place for Jemisin's The Fifth Season or Palmer's Too Like The Lightning, but not really sure what else.  Maybe VanderMeer's Shriek: An Afterword (which came out in 2006, but I only read in 2016) or Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Based on plucking some of the books I have reread countless times and still enjoy here is my list of the moment in no particular order: 

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R.Martin

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny

Watership Down by Richard Adams

The Way to Dusty Death by Alistair MacLean

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffery

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart

The Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Steven Barnes

The Hornblower Saga by C.S. Forrester

Something by Louis L'amour (couldn't decide which one, Flint, Milo Talon, Where the Long Grass Blows, ....)

Archived