Third Quarter 2019 Reading

Garett Hornwood

Finished my reread of Red Country the other day.  Really enjoyed it.  After having reread all six, I do think I'm shifting LAoK to top position as my favorite of Abercrombie's works, with tH as second.  Reading Sharp Ends now, and will wait until Nov/Dec for A Little Hatred (after my yearly horror binge).

I haven't done much reading recently but since the last time I posted in this thread I finished Dark Age which I enjoyed but I do think in changing to multiple pov character Brown's overdone it a bit, a few of them felt a bit redundant. I've also read The Orphans of Raspay which is another one of Lois McMaster Bujold's Penric novellas and, like all the others, is a very enjoyable quick read.

At the moment I'm reading Miles Cameron's Bright Steel.

I finished The Testaments this week and there's a lot to unpack because of the questions it raises. The foremost being 'Why did you write this, Margaret?' I found the Witness 369A/B testimonies interesting; mainly the comparisons between how they were raised and did either of them have wholly good or bad life etcetc. The other POV ...<sigh>  and I could have done without the epilogue. I didn't hate it - the prose and court intrigue is fantastic in spots but I also didn't love it. It just wasn't necessary in the end. 

I kept on putting off updating what I had been reading, since I've finished 11 books I'm just going to list them.

• A.T. Jones: Point Man on Adventism's Charismatic Front by George R. Knight
  • The History of England (abridged) by Lord Macaulay
  • The Ghost, The Owl by Franco & Sara Richard (artist)
  • The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Between Worlds: Folktales of Britain and Ireland by Kevin Crossley-Holland
  • Shadow Watch by Jerome Preisler
  • Redemption in Genesis: The Crossroads of Faith and Reason by John S. Nixon
  • Nostradamus Predicts: The End of the World by Rene Noorbergen
  • Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong
  • Cyclops by Clive Cussler
  • Call to Treason by Jeff Rovin

So far 47 books for the year, so I reached my goal of 45 for the year.

One upside of being sick this week is lots of time to read. I finished League of Dragons, the final Temeraire book. It was okay, but I really felt like the author just wanted to be done with the series. All in all, I like the idea of this series more than the execution. Not sorry I read it but not likely going out of my way to recommend it to others either.

I also read Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, a book I picked up at a used book fair earlier this year. It was an easy and pleasant read, and I enjoyed it while also finding it not particularly great due to a rather bland main character and a lack of any real opposition to the characters.

Finished another commute audiobook. This time Hampton Sides's On Desperate Ground: The Marines at the Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle. Another thrilling book from Hampton Sides. I want to discover more about General Oliver P. Smith. 

Picked up The Stars are Legion from the library, one I've been wanting to read for a while. It took me a bit to get into it, but I'm a few chapters in now and starting to like it. I really dislike biotech (that's probably not the right word, but like spaceships made out of organic matter) and so that's been a bit of a stumbling block for me, it just grosses me out. Curious to see where this is going because it's not very clear so far!

44 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Picked up The Stars are Legion from the library, one I've been wanting to read for a while. It took me a bit to get into it, but I'm a few chapters in now and starting to like it. I really dislike biotech (that's probably not the right word, but like spaceships made out of organic matter) and so that's been a bit of a stumbling block for me, it just grosses me out. Curious to see where this is going because it's not very clear so far!

oof, if that s tiff grosses you out you are reading the wrong book

I'm reading Make Me, a Jack Reacher novel that came out a few years ago. I only sort of enjoy these novels because they're so completely formulaic, but gosh darn it they are really well written. That's the part that I like, reading the words. If only Lee Child would branch out a bit and maybe come up with a new character. Reacher really is getting long in the tooth. 

On 10/9/2019 at 4:47 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

After finishing A Little Hatred earley this week, I've dived headlong into The Calculating Stars...

I also finished A Little Hatred earlier this week.

I enjoyed the book a lot and thought it was comparable in quality to the earlier books in the First Law world. I wouldn't say it is the best of them (that would still be Last Argument of Kings or The Heroes), but as a first book in a trilogy I thought it was significantly better than The Blade Itself. Focusing on a new second-generation cast and relegating the main characters of the previous books to supporting roles could have been a risky move, but I thought there was a good variety among the new characters, with Savine and Orso being particularly interesting. Although the plot stands alone enough that I think a person who hadn't read an of Abercrombie's previous books could still follow the story, I did like the many little references to the earlier stories and seeing how things had changed in the intervening years. It does feel like the first book in a trilogy because it felt clear this was only the beginning of the story but it did a good job of tying up the main plotlines of this volume with the events in North and in Valbeck. There have been a number of mysteries set up in the background and I'm looking forward to seeing them resolved in the rest of the trilogy.

I've now started Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth, which I'm enjoying so far. In some ways there's some similarity to A Little Hatred in the sense that it's a return to a world that seems both familiar and different to the last time we saw it. This does take a different approach by focusing on the same protagonist as before, although Lyra herself also feels both familiar and different to the last time we saw her.

I read Fall; or, Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson. It's not very good.  Rambly, meandering, constantly avoiding talking about the interesting subjects of the ethics of mind-uploading and the simulation hypothesis from the perspective of us starting a simulation to talk about boring practicalities of server load and for Stephenson to try to do clever things with myth and fantasy despite him not being knowledgeable enough about these things to pull it off.

Archived