Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

The Giro looks like it isn’t happening this year. I know they’re only saying postponed not cancelled, but where in the calendar can you move it to? It’s not like Milan-San Reno where you can probably find a suitable day in the end of the season

4 hours ago, Maltaran said:

The Giro looks like it isn’t happening this year. I know they’re only saying postponed not cancelled, but where in the calendar can you move it to? It’s not like Milan-San Reno where you can probably find a suitable day in the end of the season

Yeah, finding 3 weeks in the world cycling calendar isn't easy.

On the bright side, if (massive "IF") the situation improves in the next few months and either of the Tour or Vuelta go ahead, there should be a monster lineup of riders.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

Yeah, finding 3 weeks in the world cycling calendar isn't easy.

On the bright side, if (massive "IF") the situation improves in the next few months and either of the Tour or Vuelta go ahead, there should be a monster lineup of riders.

Paris-Nice this week has benefitted from the cancellation of Tirreno-Adriatico and Milan-San Remo 

• 5 months later...

Tour starts in 2 weeks, No Froome or Thomas, CF gets more time to get fit for the Vuelta, G goes to the Giro. Carapaz is back up for Bernal at the tour, less big names but a more focused team gives them a better chance of beating the Jumbo team which is scary strong with Roglic in great form. 

Also poor Evenepoel, amazing season so about to show what he could do in his first GC and fractured his pelvis. 

On 8/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, Maltaran said:

Not surprising given Froome’s lack of form in the Dauphine. 
Definitely means Jumbo is the team to beat, especially if Kruijswijk recovers in time.

Kruijswijk is doing the Giro. Chance for redemption after he blew it on the Agnello last time. I bet he shits himself when he goes over it this time round. If I was Nibali I'd attack on the descent just to take the piss. 

Le Tour going to start up soon. Who knows whether they'll get through the thing - the COVID-19 situation in France is a bit dicey, and if I was one of those cyclists preparing to push my body to the absolute limit for three weeks I'd be getting pretty worried.

Bernal the favourite, I think, followed by Roglic.

Dumoulin, Landa and Alaphilippe podium contenders and outside chances for the title. I think Quintana and Porte are probably past it.

Starting to feel my interest in professional cycling reviving a bit. I haven't checked out the route yet. I wonder what it'll be like in the Alps at this time of year? 

It'll be strange to have a Tour without irritating fans dressed as giant chickens. Have to admit that watching the peloton trying to negotiate the barmy masses on mountain stages has been a big part of the attraction for me. 

I only really started watching the Tour/Vuelta/Giro to keep my dad company in the summer five/six years or so ago, printing out a big list of all the riders with their team colours, and then completely failing to identify anyone. Feeling my age now that the generation I first started watching (Contador, Froome, Quintana) have retired or seem past their best. 

ETA: Col de la Madeleine currently 10 degrees with a warning for thunderstorms. 

Edited by dog-days

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

Bernal the favourite, I think, followed by Roglic.

Dumoulin, Landa and Alaphilippe podium contenders and outside chances for the title. I think Quintana and Porte are probably past it.

Depends how well Bernal has recovered from that back injury. Also, should Lopez or any of the EF Colombians be added to the contender list?

Imagine you are leading after the second last stage and get booted for covid protocols. 

My rankings

Roglic and Bernal clear favourites (assuming Bernal has recovered from his back injury). 

Dumoulin, Pinot (please no more bad luck) Pogacar

Everyone else. 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:53 PM, dog-days said:

Starting to feel my interest in professional cycling reviving a bit. I haven't checked out the route yet. 

Very mountainous, lots of medium mountain stages. Even stage 2 has some big climbs. 

And we're off. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Well that was an eventful first stage. Lots of crashes, and a surprise winner (Kristoff, I didn't know he was still around and kicking).

Just had a look at the course and goodness there's a lot of hilly stages, and Day 2 is a medium mountain stage. The race organisers really didn't want the sprinters to get much of a look-in on this one.

Pretty much as I expected so far. Roglic does worry me in that last year before the Giro he was blowing everyone away and by the last week he was past his peak. If so, and Bernal has timed his peak right, the big mountains in week 3 are going to be hard for him to hold onto Bernals wheel. Dumoulin looks quietly confident. And pleased Quintana hasn't lost any time yet. And amazingly Richie Porte hasn't had his usual bad luck. Landa also looks motivated. Cant wait for a proper MTF to see where everyone really is. 

Wout van Aert is amazing. He is going to win so much over the next 7-10 years. Him and Van der Poel are a breath of fresh air the way they race. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

And amazingly Richie Porte hasn't had his usual bad luck. 

Trek did lose two riders on day 1, don’t know if that counts.

Agreed on van Aert and van der Poel. I’ve not seen Evenepoel race yet, but from the way people talk about him it sounds like he’ll be up there too.

Side note: ever since I found out who his grandfather is I want to call him van der Poulidor

13 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Trek did lose two riders on day 1, don’t know if that counts.

Agreed on van Aert and van der Poel. I’ve not seen Evenepoel race yet, but from the way people talk about him it sounds like he’ll be up there too.

Side note: ever since I found out who his grandfather is I want to call him van der Poulidor

Porte's team was never likely to make that much of a difference anyway. He just needs to follow the other trains up the mountains and do a good TT for a good finish if he is near top form. 

Evenepoel is a freak. Gutted he misses the giro, his talent combined with his aggression would have blown the race up. 

Van Der Poel is from a pretty stacked family. His father was also cross world champ, and won a silver at the road world champs in 83. 

Edited by BigFatCoward